BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-01-2024, 12:26 PM   #1
paulreedsmith
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Linux Carplay/AAuto screen install/experience

Hi. Been lurking here ever since i bought my first ever car. There was an E83 parked outside where we where living back in 2010, and since then thatīs been my dream car. Ended up buying an F25 a year ago, since the interiour of the E83 looked too dated. Amazing car. Itīs got everything I need in a car... except for maps, wireless music/podcasts stuff. So beeen looking to install an aftermarket system for over a year. But the install scared me, the quality of the screen, of audio etc and most of all: How to install the cable to the aux-port, and how long it would take for these Android-systems to start up.

Ended up buying a Linux 8.8 screen. I could not find any information or instructions about the unit, but I just hoped for the best. Iīm only intrested in Carplay and Android auto so an Android unit felt kind of overkill.

Installation took 1h. When I tested out the unit before I put everything back together, I forgot to connect the Aux-cable. But the music would play anyway! Normaly, my car canīt stream music over bluetooth, but now it worked, and I did not have to drag the Aux-cable to the armrest! Also the system starts up as fast as the OEM BMW system. Like 4-5 seconds. Stearingwheel controls works, and mic/Siri commands work! Reverse camera works.

Last edited by paulreedsmith; 01-01-2024 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 11:28 PM   #2
drukpa
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Been thinking of getting mr12volt or an android. Which brand or model is this?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:44 AM   #3
paulreedsmith
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drukpa View Post
Been thinking of getting mr12volt or an android. Which brand or model is this?
This is a Navithree screen/system. I think Mekede is making them. Very cheap. I think I payed 169 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 12:18 AM   #4
Millerrg02
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

That’s exactly what I want to do to mine! How easy is the installation?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 06:10 AM   #5
paulreedsmith
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerrg02 View Post
That’s exactly what I want to do to mine! How easy is the installation?
I would say very easy. But you have to be careful and patient. Iīv never done anything like this before, but it took me arond 1h. If I had to do it again I could do it in 25min I think.

Still works great. Starts up very very fast, but when itīs been like 15 minus celcius it have not been avaliable. But after driving for 10 minutes it has started. It does not like the cold it seems.
Appreciate 0