BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2024, 03:26 PM   #1
Snownado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

Rear axle seal repair - complete

There have been some threads on 2016 X3 xdrive28i rear axle seal repair costs. I recently had my tires replaced and the technician noticed leaking from both rear axle seals and advised I get them repaired by a BMW dealer. I never saw a drop of any fluid in my garage, so it must have been a seep of some sort. Interestingly, I had the vehicle in for an inspection and oil change 2 weeks earlier at the BMW dealer and they didn't notice this. I brought the vehicle in for another inspection, with the heads-up this time that the leak had been observed, and they confirmed. Repair for both seals ran $1680 total and took about a half a day. Just passing along some data for those that might run into a similar situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 04:20 PM   #2
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

About a days worth of labor for myself to replace mine, but if you can’t do the work your self I guess your at the mercy of the steelership…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 11:28 AM   #3
Snownado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

..painful to see the cost for the part. I would love to try this repair but no time and not quite confident enough to be sure I wouldn't screw it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:14 AM   #4
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW x3 F25 xDrive28i xLine

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownado View Post
There have been some threads on 2016 X3 xdrive28i rear axle seal repair costs. I recently had my tires replaced and the technician noticed leaking from both rear axle seals and advised I get them repaired by a BMW dealer. I never saw a drop of any fluid in my garage, so it must have been a seep of some sort. Interestingly, I had the vehicle in for an inspection and oil change 2 weeks earlier at the BMW dealer and they didn't notice this. I brought the vehicle in for another inspection, with the heads-up this time that the leak had been observed, and they confirmed. Repair for both seals ran $1680 total and took about a half a day. Just passing along some data for those that might run into a similar situation.
I had the same issue on my 17' X3 and I paid $400.00CAD at a BMW M specialized indy shop (which includes labor, parts, fluid)

Exactly as you described it, I never noticed a drop in my garage, only when the beamer was in the air on the hoist, I noticed the rear diff smudged with oil residue...

I mean another shop quoted me $2,000.00CAD... (I left a 1 star google review) and will never go back to this shop (non-BMW shop)

So I went to a BMW specialized shop and got it done for WAY lower price.