BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2020 X3 base HiFi sound system sucks - any way to upgrade the amp?

I’ve had my 2020 xDrive30i for over 3 months now and I love everything about it (my first BMW!) except I am extremely disappointed in how lame music sounds in this vehicle. It has no balls and it has little bass. To put this into perspective, the sound in my base 2012 Toyota Highlander is mediocre to good at best, but it is much fuller and clearer than the X3. This vehicle’s sound is on par with my daughter’s base 2011 Honda Fit – no exaggeration.

I love music and listen all day long – and IMO tunes go hand in hand with driving, so to me the ultimate driving machine is missing a key component, equally good sound. I don’t need ear bleeding volume (well, once in a great while I do) or throbbing, thumping bass. Just clean, clear and full sound.

As I researched this issue in the forum, I was happy to learn about the Match UP 7BMW amp replacement and the Bavsound or Bimmertech speaker upgrades. I read about how the HK system is a minor-to-moderate step up, but some folks feel that replacing the amp on the base HiFi system and then the speakers is even better than the HK.

I’m a firm believer in the upgrading the amp before the speakers. So based on the discussion here I confirmed that I have the base 676 HiFi system and bought the Match UP 7BMW amp. Imagine my shock, and my utter disappointment, when I went to install this replacement and there’s no amp to replace in my trunk compartment! Not sure if mine is a completely different amp, or if it’s a head unit/amp combo? It has 4 different connectors and it has an HD Radio sticker on it. Did the MY 2020 base HiFi system eliminate the external amp? Another case of a company saving a few bucks while dumbing down the product?

See images below, but note they are all upside down!

I dug a little further in the forums and I saw some mention of the base HiFi as 676A. I’m wondering if the 2020 base HiFi system is now 676 whereas in prior years it was 676A, where the A signified Amp? Major bummer for me, as well as others (a) when they hear this system and (b) when they don’t have any simple Match UP option to upgrade it.

So my question to you folks, especially anyone who has encountered the same issue on a 2020 X3, is – is there any chance the Match UP amp can still be used? Or has anyone found a way to add an amp to this system, either plug and play like the UP 7BMW or from an aftermarket shop? I don’t feel like upgrading the speakers will make a dramatic improvement if the power isn’t there. I should note that I am looking for a $1-1.5K amp/speakers solution and not a complete custom multi-thousand-dollar system.

Sorry for long-winded explanation/rant, but I do appreciate all that I’ve learned on this forum and welcome any suggestions. I can’t believe a luxury vehicle over $50k can be this lame in the sound department. Shame on me for not realizing this during the test drive, but everything was so new and different, my priorities were focused elsewhere. I just assumed the sound would be very good in a luxury vehicle, never in a million years could I conceive of it being this poor. Then I was thrilled that I had a solution in the Match UP amp, but again I assumed it was the same base system as prior years and my fault for not actually looking first. Hopefully there’s a reasonable solution as I don’t want to remain unhappy with the sound and I don’t want to trade it in earlier than planned.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Toodalu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 & 19 X3

My 2018 has the HiFi system and my 2019 has the H.K system. The H.K is better overall, the HiFi in my 2018 isn't all that terrible. I did test a 2019 340i and 2020 X3 loaner, both with HiFi system and to be very honest with you, the sound was terrible.. Something is different in the 2020 X3. As for the 340i, I don't know the exact specs, but i'm sure they are very similar to the X3. Bavsound makes upgraded speakers and subs. It's an improvement over stock. With a better amp, it will make the system much better. I would check out bavsound 1st.
2022 M3 Competition XDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on 2020 HiFi sound. While I will eventually look at replacement speakers, my post is more if it's possible and how to add an amp first. I think mine is some crappy all-in-one unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

I can't answer you amp comparability question, but you would be smart to do amp upgrade first- I did this (Audiotech Fischer amp) in my F25 and found the stock (676) hi-if speakers to be very capable...enough improvement with the good DSP amp that I will not upgrade speakers

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
You said,
"I’m a firm believer in the upgrading the amp before the speakers."

This seems to be the predominant sentiment in this forum but its counter to the approach in home audio. A doubling of amplifier power increases output by 3db. Most of the time, upgrading speakers will have the most profound effect unless the current head unit is way underpowered. I'm old enough to remember when a car stereo head unit putting out 25wpc was huge. I remember crusing with a tape of Rush, Kansas, Zeplin pounding out of some 6x9 rear deck speakers and 6" door speakers thinking wow, this sounds awesome. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss what speaker upgrades might do.

That said, if you're wanting a sub or 2 you'll need a power amp to apply adequate power.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguysrule View Post
You said,

This seems to be the predominant sentiment in this forum but its counter to the approach in home audio. A doubling of amplifier power increases output by 3db. Most of the time, upgrading speakers will have the most profound effect unless the current head unit is way underpowered.
In my experience the aftermarket amplifier made a world of difference, and I think others would agree. Having a bit more power helps, but I think a large proportion of performance gained is due to the amplifier's DSP capability, which the user can tweak/tune to the car's environment. Even without tuning my DSP amplifier I could immediately hear much clearer and more highly detailed sound... after tuning it was practically night and day when compared to the stock BMW amp using in their base hi-fi setup.

Car listening environment is typically a bit more 'challenging' than home audio environment, the DSP's tuning capability is a real aid to optimizing audio in a car.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      04-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Agreed, sorry I didn't make that clear. While extra power would certainly help, that combined with the DSP is where the biggest gain is to be made. I just don't know if there's a path for a DSP amp upgrade for this system. I'm hoping to hear if any other MY 2020 owners were able to make any amp improvements.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Did MY2020 drop the CD player? If so, maybe it’s using the new audio components that started in the G05? Looks like HiFi speakers are driven by a combination unit, while HK and up have additional/booster amps.

Here’s a bit of info from the G05 tech docs:

3.3.2. Receiver Audio Module (RAM)
The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) is a control unit and part of the infotainment system. The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) is an audio amplifier with integrated tuners and an integrated sound processor. The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) also contains Active Sound Design (ASD), and therefore an additional control unit is not required

The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) comes in a variety of versions and power levels.
Versions and power levels:
• RAM BASIC
• RAM MID
• RAM HIGH
Depending on the number and power of the speakers, a booster, to which the audio data are streamed via an Ethernet connection, is additionally installed.

3.3.3. Booster
An additional booster is installed, depending on the audio variant. Normally there is no booster
for stereo and hi-fi. However, if an outside speaker is required for the outside sound on a vehicle, depending on the engine version, a booster is installed. For "Harman Kardon Surround Sound system" and "Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound system" (SA 6F1) the corresponding booster is installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Did MY2020 drop the CD player?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Not sure the power of that head unit. It probably would be possible to add a Bluetooth DSP for something like $500 or so but then you're half way home to a power amp with DSP.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

timmahh, thanks for that info. It sounds very plausible for what's in my X3. I'll look tomorrow to see if I can find a part number on my unit to lookup some details. I'd also like to find out if I could possibly add a BMW booster to my system.

Oldguysrule, that's an interesting idea. How would a BT DSP connect into the system? At least in general, I wouldn't know if it's possible for this system.

Incremental progress, this is great. Thanks guys. Keep the conversation going!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #12
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepal View Post
timmahh, thanks for that info. It sounds very plausible for what's in my X3. I'll look tomorrow to see if I can find a part number on my unit to lookup some details. I'd also like to find out if I could possibly add a BMW booster to my system.

Oldguysrule, that's an interesting idea. How would a BT DSP connect into the system? At least in general, I wouldn't know if it's possible for this system.

Incremental progress, this is great. Thanks guys. Keep the conversation going!
Many of the aftermarket DSPs claim they work with "most" automobile manufacturer head units. I would think you'd need speaker level connections and power. Might be a job for an audio shop unless instructions are easy to follow. The Bluetooth comes in when you want to access the DSP and adjust settings. Maybe check with the folks at a place like Crutchfield? They seem to carry a number of them in varying degrees of features and prices.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Uvxfsu...rocessors.html

Here's an install on a factory head unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #13
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks, that video answers my question. I'd have to cut and splice wires, not plug and play, so yes, I would leave that to a professional to figure it all out.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did MY2020 drop the CD player? If so, maybe it’s using the new audio components that started in the G05? Looks like HiFi speakers are driven by a combination unit, while HK and up have additional/booster amps.

Here’s a bit of info from the G05 tech docs:

3.3.2. Receiver Audio Module (RAM)
The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) is a control unit and part of the infotainment system. The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) is an audio amplifier with integrated tuners and an integrated sound processor. The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) also contains Active Sound Design (ASD), and therefore an additional control unit is not required

The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) comes in a variety of versions and power levels.
Versions and power levels:
• RAM BASIC
• RAM MID
• RAM HIGH
Depending on the number and power of the speakers, a booster, to which the audio data are streamed via an Ethernet connection, is additionally installed.

3.3.3. Booster
An additional booster is installed, depending on the audio variant. Normally there is no booster
for stereo and hi-fi. However, if an outside speaker is required for the outside sound on a vehicle, depending on the engine version, a booster is installed. For "Harman Kardon Surround Sound system" and "Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound system" (SA 6F1) the corresponding booster is installed.
Here is a photo of the sticker, looks like I have the RAM MID.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #15
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
I'd take it to a car audio shop and let them have a look and see what you have there. The cable with the pink connector almost looks like an optical cable?? It might be easier than you think to connect a DSP to the factory radio. That would at least allow you to set parameters like EQ, crosover, delay, etc.

I'd let them have a look and see what they think you might do and give you some options. Does your radio package include any subwoofers (typically under front seats in the HK system)? Have them check to see what the largest drivers you have installed are and that can give you some idea of the limitations you'll face with pulling low frequencies out of the existing system/speakers. You'll need to boost low and midrange frequencies to give you that "punch" you're probably missing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Have you seen this?
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...-audio-for-bmw
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #17
P.Cullen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport Plus (G01)

Do you have the standard sound system or the upgraded Harman Kardon? An upgraded Amp should increase the sound quality but as far as poor base etc you will need to upgrade the speakers and possibly put a sub in to see any noticeable difference
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd take it to a car audio shop and let them have a look and see what you have there. The cable with the pink connector almost looks like an optical cable?? It might be easier than you think to connect a DSP to the factory radio. That would at least allow you to set parameters like EQ, crosover, delay, etc.

I'd let them have a look and see what they think you might do and give you some options. Does your radio package include any subwoofers (typically under front seats in the HK system)? Have them check to see what the largest drivers you have installed are and that can give you some idea of the limitations you'll face with pulling low frequencies out of the existing system/speakers. You'll need to boost low and midrange frequencies to give you that "punch" you're probably missing.
Yes, I have the subwoofers.

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately it's not 100% accurate for the 2020 X3 HiFi system (non-HK). I have tweeters and the dash mid, however on my options list it says only "676 Hifi sound system" and not 676A. Hence it looks like the base model no longer includes the amplifier. Which corresponds to what timmah posted above about my RAM MID head unit.

I appreciate all your help. Someday when the world is all right again I will see what an aftermarket shop might be able to do for me in the DSP/amp area.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #19
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Are you sure the amp you purchased will not swap out with the unit thats in the rear boot area? That large wire loom connector looks like it carries all of the speaker level connections to that amp/controller? Pink might be power?? Just seems odd you have the right speaker config which would suggest its the HiFi model?
"Higher series vehicles with the HiFi option will also include an additional midrange speaker for the center-channel dash."
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

The larger connectors (pink and white) are likely the satellite and HD antenna leads, since it’s a combo unit. I am 100% certain on the pink connector at least, Sirius/XM previously used a two wire system and switched to a single plug.

OP, my inclination is.. maybe you can add the HK amp and upgrade the system? In previous iterations where base setups used traditional wire and the HK upgrades involved fiber rings in the car, it’s appears to be Ethernet now. Makes me wonder in you can just procure the HK amp and connect it to the existing stuff like the factory would. I.e., could you add the amp and relevant wire/connectors to patch things in like the factory setup and upgrade the speakers.

My assumption is that none of the current ‘plug and play bmw’ upgrades will work due to the changes made to the audio system recently, other than speakers of course.

Last edited by timmahh; 04-10-2020 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #21
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
The larger connectors (pink and white) are likely the satellite and HD antenna leads, since it’s a combo unit. I am 100% certain on the pink connector at least, Sirius/XM previously used a two wire system and switched to a single plug.

OP, my inclination is.. maybe you can add the HK amp and upgrade the system? In previous iterations where base setups used traditional wire and the HK upgrades involved fiber rings in the car, it’s appears to be Ethernet now. Makes me wonder in you can just procure the HK amp and connect it to the existing stuff like the factory would. I.e., could you add the amp and relevant wire/connectors to patch things in like the factory setup and upgrade the speakers.

My assumption is that none of the current ‘plug and play bmw’ upgrades will work due to the changes made to the audio system recently, other than speakers of course.
Good call on the sat and HD radio. The other white connector most likely is power and remote on. I think you have everything you need back there to allow for some form of aftermarket DSP/amp. It may not be plug and play but an audio shop should be able to install one pretty quick. As another poster with the same 676 radio already noted, the current speakers seem to be adequate.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #22
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

"Caveat emptor"

LMAO - "I love music and listen all day long" - me too, that's why I tried it before I bought it.

Maybe next time ... hindsight is a great thing. I know this sounds cutting, it's actually meant to be educational to others. Make sure you're happy with the thing you're purchasing and go into it eyes open. Yes - "I" am the one who made the same mistake and screwed up "assuming" rear tints were included on my current model as the previous, but they'd changed the ordering profile so I got disappointed :-/

At least I got sweet sounds though.
Appreciate 0