BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Trailer Hitch Install + KUAT bike rack

So I just went through quite the ordeal getting my darn hitch installed. Wasn't Uhaul's fault, CURT just does not have the correct part for the new 2018+X3s. So - DO NOT order the CURT hitch, part #C13387. It is the wrong part and your exhaust will be installed lopsided. It looked terrible. The CORRECT part # is from Draw-Tite hitch, part #76226.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201969587

I originally wanted to see how much it would be to retrofit this originally from BMW - VERY expensive ($1,500 ++). Seeing as I would not be using this to TOW anything, only for my bikes, I did not need a lighting kit. I therefore opted for the UHAUL solution - $322 PART AND INSTALL

I also looked into the "stealth hitch" and while very nice and "stealthy" (you can remove the hitch attachment so you don't see anything at all), I didn't think it was worth the $600 part and $250 install charge.

All in all, I'm very happy with it and Draw-Tite did a great job and recessed the hitch very well so it does not stick out.

I also got a 1-Bike Rack (Kuat Transfer) from KUAT. This has an option to add-on another one for a 2nd bike. Very well built rack and I did a LOT of research before making this purchase. I HIGHLY recommend KUAT Racks. They are pretty amazing. Solidly built and easy to assemble. Even tilts away from fromt he car so you can open trunk with no issues My other 2 friends got the 2-Bike versions with option for a 3rd bike attachment. Both also very happy. It has an optional Locking system that you can get for $49 - It's made so that you can LOCK your rack to the vehicle and ALSO lock your bikes to the rack. Very well designed. My rack cost $249 for the 1 bike version on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_7500 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7489 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7490 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7491 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7492 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7493 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7494 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7496 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7497 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7498 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7499 by P.L. L, on Flickr
      05-26-2020, 02:08 AM   #2
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I'm surprised you get away without the lighting kit, that would be totally illegal in the UK as you cant see the plate and the lights are obscured by the bike.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Thanks for the writeup. I’m going through the same dilemma myself. Any chance chance you can post a pic of the rear without the Kuat installed? Curious how obtrusive the hitch receiver is.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
Thanks for the writeup. I’m going through the same dilemma myself. Any chance chance you can post a pic of the rear without the Kuat installed? Curious how obtrusive the hitch receiver is.
Same here can you post w/o the bike rack in?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

nice setup!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
Grahamstine1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 m40i

+1 Kuat is a nice rear carrier. Roof mount is great for lower cars, but bikes (esp. mtn bikes can leave your car dirty, sometimes have to take a wheel off, risk driving a fork into your roof, and the worst......driving into a parking structure.). Kuat also has nice ski racks.
      05-27-2020, 11:56 PM   #7
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamstine1 View Post
+1 Kuat is a nice rear carrier. Roof mount is great for lower cars, but bikes (esp. mtn bikes can leave your car dirty, sometimes have to take a wheel off, risk driving a fork into your roof, and the worst......driving into a parking structure.). Kuat also has nice ski racks.
Yup when I had my M4 and other cars, I had the roof rack and nearly tore off my bike from the roof going into my parking structure.....not fun.

When i got my X3, I then thought....."ok, why get a hitch when I can use the space inside the SUV to store my bike?" - Stupid.

BUT - now that I have my aftermarket one installed., I feel like I got the best of both worlds. It doesn't mess up the bumper-look and lines. It also sits very recessed when not in use. Very nice and neatly done.

My buddy has a Stealth Hitch on his X7 and MAN does that thing stick out from the rear bumper a lot. He could take it out when not in use, but why deal with the hassle?

Oh and I LOVE that the KUAT rack comes with it's own "anti-rattle" bolt. Very smart and ingenious. The rack is totally firm when inserted and there is no play at all. Also, I took the pics at specific angles so you could NOT see my plate

Here are some pics without the Rack attached:

IMG_7520 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7519 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7518 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7516 by P.L. L, on Flickr

IMG_7515 by P.L. L, on Flickr
      05-28-2020, 03:22 AM   #8
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, 2014 640i

That does look good! I was considering the BMW retrofit but might go this Draw-Tite route. It looks like it can carry more weight and has a higher max tongue weight than the OEM offering as well.

What options exist for mounting the wiring harness? I didn't see anything specific in the mounting instructions, and it doesn't look like there is any sort of attachment point welded onto the hitch.

Also wondering why it says the hitch does not allow for the use of weight distribution?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
Spitfire-
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

+1 for Kuat as well! I have the original NV with the additional 2 bike attachment and the thing is built like a tank. I've had mine for about 7 years now and have absolutely no issues with it. The built in bike locks and bike stand was what sold me on it originally.

Here's mine mounted:
      05-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Yup when I had my M4 and other cars, I had the roof rack and nearly tore off my bike from the roof going into my parking structure.....not fun.

When i got my X3, I then thought....."ok, why get a hitch when I can use the space inside the SUV to store my bike?" - Stupid.

BUT - now that I have my aftermarket one installed., I feel like I got the best of both worlds. It doesn't mess up the bumper-look and lines. It also sits very recessed when not in use. Very nice and neatly done.
I am assuming you did not have it coded to disable the automatic hatch button? I believe when you have it coded for the light kit it automatically disable the button and remote control activation of hatch. Any fear that the hatch will be opened while bikes are attached ?
I will at some point add a hitch but I really do like the automatic hatch especially now with quarantine curbside pick up
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
I am assuming you did not have it coded to disable the automatic hatch button? I believe when you have it coded for the light kit it automatically disable the button and remote control activation of hatch. Any fear that the hatch will be opened while bikes are attached ?
I will at some point add a hitch but I really do like the automatic hatch especially now with quarantine curbside pick up
My hatch remote is coded so it does NOT go off UNLESS the car is unlocked. And even then - you have to give it a 3 second press. Also, the KUAT extension that goes into the actual hitch is long enough to use the second bolt hole - which allows the rack to extend further back and, even when closed and flipped up, the trunk opens and clears the rack
      05-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
Grahamstine1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 m40i

[QUOTE=SROC3;26234102]Yup when I had my M4 and other cars, I had the roof rack and nearly tore off my bike from the roof going into my parking structure.....not fun.

My buddy has a Stealth Hitch on his X7 and MAN does that thing stick out from the rear bumper a lot. He could take it out when not in use, but why deal with the hassle?

Oh and I LOVE that the KUAT rack comes with it's own "anti-rattle" bolt. Very smart and ingenious. The rack is totally firm when inserted and there is no play at all. Also, I took the pics at specific angles so you could NOT see my plate

Here are some pics without the Rack attached:

__________________________________________________ ___________
SROC3 Yep, everyone has almost either shaved their bike clean off their roof or actually done it. It dangerous stuff to the car and with a 5-10k bike on the roof, not pretty. Rear mounts seem optimal these days, especially with easy on/ off. It's also easier for everyone in the family to load.

Honestly the aftermarket hitch looks good. You get to keep the rear bumper and 9/10 would never notice. Only people that would notice would be us on this forum! I got the hitch for this reason as I transition into mtn biking. After years of riding TT and road bikes I have had too many near misses with cars. Too much distraction/ impaired drivers here in CO, i.e. weed. Not that you can't whack a tree mtn. biking, but rather go out like that v. from a car.
      05-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

I didn't realize you could get the factory hitch retrofitted - where is info on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #14
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
My hatch remote is coded so it does NOT go off UNLESS the car is unlocked. And even then - you have to give it a 3 second press. Also, the KUAT extension that goes into the actual hitch is long enough to use the second bolt hole - which allows the rack to extend further back and, even when closed and flipped up, the trunk opens and clears the rack

curious how/what you coded so that the remote button only works to open the hatch when the car is unlocked??

not that it should ever happen, but if you had a bike on the rack and in error hit the hatch release button on the drivers door it would hit the bike?

(FYI, tried to private message you this but your private mailbox is full)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #15
LouisG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Is the hitch interfere with tailgate opening with the no touch activation (foot movement)?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #16
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisG View Post
Is the hitch interfere with tailgate opening with the no touch activation (foot movement)?
I'll know this soon. The Draw-Tite hitch actually goes behind the rear bumper cover support from which the no-touch activation option hangs from. This is the setup I have, but haven't completed installing it yet. The OEM hitch replaces the rear bumper cover support entirely, so there is no way for the no-touch activation option to hang, and it would have been interfering with the OEM hitch because the OEM hitch receiver sits higher than the Draw-Tite.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 12:16 AM   #17
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisG View Post
The answer is no, not interference. Here's some pics.

In order of appearance:
1) Tight clearance, but can be done without taking off the bumper
2) Another angle
3) Kick sensor reinstalled
4) Draw-Tite, Done!
Attached Images

Last edited by AcidLotus; 12-25-2020 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #18
dimkalvov
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidLotus View Post
The answer is no, not interference. Here's some pics.

Tight clearance, but can be done without taking off the bumper

Another angle

Kick sensor reinstalled

Draw-Tite, Done!
Hey AcidLotus,

Do you mind reposting the pics ?

thx
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 02:00 AM   #19
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkalvov View Post
Hey AcidLotus,

Do you mind reposting the pics ?

thx
Done.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #20
dimkalvov
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidLotus View Post
Done.
Acid,

Did you had to do any coding for your trunk and rear sensors???

thx
Appreciate 0