BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Msport 3.0d

RIS finally done oh boy!

Well finally got the RIS done after over 22 weeks!

Even with the rain yesterday I took the long way home from the garage and on the motorway instead where I 'accidentally' missed my junction to give the engine chance to get warm.

Then took some of the Pennines roads back home and put it in sports plus and D3 for a few miles and oh boy, it's a totally different car. The thing is an animal, the long revs through the gears (or technically 2-3 gears until you would be handing your license back) makes the car so different to drive. Even in the wet the car feels planted and doesn't feel like an SUV. I wasn't quite up for taking traction control off or fiddling any more given the weather but really pleased with how the car drives now I have access to the revs. I expect it will get better over the next few thousand miles as the engine loosens up.

I also decided to nip out for a breakfast buttie this morning. I swear that even with everything in comfort D1 etc... the car feels more responsive.

Not going to be doing any of the mods people on here are doing, for my purposes the stock car is great and post RIS it is like getting in a different car.

Hope I don't have any of the fun warnings lights/too much oil games that others have had post RIS, but in short, being able to use the engine as intended now it just puts a smile on your face.

Keep safe.
Appreciate 5
BMWZ41909.50
Thescout134944.00
Max Well4731.00
      06-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy77 View Post
Well finally got the RIS done after over 22 weeks! ... Not going to be doing any of the mods people on here are doing, for my purposes the stock car is great and post RIS it is like getting in a different car. ... but in short, being able to use the engine as intended now it just puts a smile on your face.

Keep safe.
Thanks for sharing, bennyboy77.

In DD, I'm about 50:50 between Sport/D2 and Sport+/D3, but you're right that the latter is just pure driving experience. Glad you're now getting a chance to enjoy what this series offers!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

22 weeks? what took you so long? lol

i picked up my car nov 16th 2019.... had my RIS done on 12/21/2020

yer supposed to look for every excuse to drive it!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 01:52 AM   #4
Richierich32
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d in White

Doesn't the RIS just cover oil and diff oil changed?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Msport 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richierich32 View Post
Doesn't the RIS just cover oil and diff oil changed?
That's right, but I was cautious on driving it hard until the RIS or when the engine was cold.

With lockdown, it's taken quite a while to get the RIS done.

I know it had a couple of SW updates done too as I checked the recall notes for the car when booking in.

Not sure if it is just wishful thinking but does seem to drive more spritely in any mode.

I stayed away from D2/D3 as change ups meant you'd be well past the 5,550 RPM unless you paddled up and you're not meant to exceed 5,550 before RIS. I know lots of folks on here just gun it from the get go but I followed the rules and now able to have fun.

Anyway, given lockdown I expect I'll only have done 4K miles by the time I've had the car for a year! Though I am looking for excuses to nip out to the farm shop. Oh dear I forgot some mushrooms to go with our steak....
Appreciate 0