BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4Cx / X3 M40i

Extended Maintenance...yay or nay?

Service guy offered me Extended Maintenance plan for $900. 3 years or 75,000 mls, whichever comes first. Does not include brakes or wiper blades.

I'm sitting at 35,000 miles right now on our 2018 X3.

Do you guys think I should take this 'deal'? I'm not sure how much I'd be spending out of pocket in that timespan/mileage if I were to forgo the Extended Maintenance plan. (Looking at all of you past the 3yr/36k free maintenance period)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcars View Post
Service guy offered me Extended Maintenance plan for $900. 3 years or 75,000 mls, whichever comes first. Does not include brakes or wiper blades.

I'm sitting at 35,000 miles right now on our 2018 X3.

Do you guys think I should take this 'deal'? I'm not sure how much I'd be spending out of pocket in that timespan/mileage if I were to forgo the Extended Maintenance plan. (Looking at all of you past the 3yr/36k free maintenance period)
If you feel you're going to keep the vehicle beyond the warranty period, sure. Be sure to re-read what's covered / not covered.

Other than that, save your $ until about a month before warranty expires. Price won't change i.e. up. No point giving them your hard earned $ now when you still have a warranty.

My 2 cents
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
What would that even be? Three more oil changes? Save the money.
Appreciate 1
npcars47.50
      05-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
That likely should cover Brakes (no idea if you'll need them by 75K Miles) and plugs in addition to the oil changes and other stuff.

YMMV on the value though.
Appreciate 1
npcars47.50
      05-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

As others have said, don't take extended warranty until you need to, if indeed that's the way you choose to go. I have taken in the past on my F31 330d and here in the UK it includes BMW breakdown / recovery (not sure about the states on that one). Also, make sure you take your car into your dealer for its check before the warranty expires, they will usually go over the car and change / swap out what they feel they need to and back charge BMW at no cost to you.

With regards to the extended warranty, I'm quite risk averse so would take it again, but it depends on your attitude to risk. Some don't bother and have very little problems and some do.

Do what you feel is right for you and your financial situation. You could also 'self insure' so just put the money you may spend on the warranty in another bank account (just in case).

Last time I took Comprehensive Cover (top one) and it was costing me about £52 a month if I remember correctly and I could cancel within 30 days.

Overall Its not cheap, but do what's right for you
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41908.00
npcars47.50
      05-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4Cx / X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
That likely should cover Brakes (no idea if you'll need them by 75K Miles) and plugs in addition to the oil changes and other stuff.

YMMV on the value though.

Thanks for the feedback.

To these two points, yes, it would cover 3 oil changes, spark plugs and filters, but would not cover brakes.

I'm thinking I might save the $900, especially as new tires are coming up quick on the list.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:17 PM   #7
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Spark plugs are like ten bucks a pop. Filters are probably also relatively cheap and not that hard to install.
Appreciate 1
npcars47.50
      05-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
As others have said, don't take extended warranty until you need to, if indeed that's the way you choose to go. I have taken in the past on my F31 330d and here in the UK it includes BMW breakdown / recovery (not sure about the states on that one). Also, make sure you take your car into your dealer for its check before the warranty expires, they will usually go over the car and change / swap out what they feel they need to and back charge BMW at no cost to you.

With regards to the extended warranty, I'm quite risk averse so would take it again, but it depends on your attitude to risk. Some don't bother and have very little problems and some do.

Do what you feel is right for you and your financial situation. You could also 'self insure' so just put the money you may spend on the warranty in another bank account (just in case).

Last time I took Comprehensive Cover (top one) and it was costing me about £52 a month if I remember correctly and I could cancel within 30 days.

Overall Its not cheap, but do what's right for you

No it's not cheap, but you shouldn't be running a car like this on a shoestring. My X3 manufacturers warranty expires end of November and I intend to have them check it out before and MoT it too while still under warranty.

3 weeks after buying the X3 (9 months old, 8k miles) had a whine, diagnosed as a differential problem. Diagnosed on a Thursday, taken for repair following Tuesday, car back by close of business the next day.

In the case of the Mini's, my used R56 Cooper S bought from Mini Approved suffered a broken piston after 6 weeks, messed the bore up and swarf everywhere. New short engine fitted, no cost to me. They also replaced a leaky water pump (replaced with engine) 8 months later.

Last year, wife's R57 had a seat belt fault and a seat sensor occupancy mat failure, both sorted within days.

My experience of BMW/Mini's own aftermarket warranty has been very positive, no quibbles, courtesy/hire car provided too, car valeted etc. Because I am risk averse, I'll buy 12 months when it's due. Could prove far cheaper than stumping up for repairs.

Maybe the US version has slight differences?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
R&E
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Not sure when the required interval for transfer case and differentials need to be serviced, but I got the extended warranty on my 2011 X3 right before it ran out. Paid for itself on the +$500 diff and transfer case service and +$1200 full brake rotor and pad change within a couple of years.

Just locked in a deal with a 2020 X3 being built now and trading the 2011 w/ 98,750 miles, was getting close to another full brake rotor and pad change, plus a list of other stuff.
Appreciate 0