BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #45
Mozza
Rep
Drives: X3

Any link to the 2020 model?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #46
BRSAusTex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Ali link no longer works - any other options?

The original Aliexpress link no longer works and I'm afraid to try to find a similar model.

Anyone have another link (even if more $$$) or a model name/number?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #47
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSAusTex View Post
The original Aliexpress link no longer works and I'm afraid to try to find a similar model.

Anyone have another link (even if more $$$) or a model name/number?

Thanks!
This is the one I bought and installed recently - works a treat.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329626...40694c4dSDAhzB
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #48
BRSAusTex
United_States
Rep

Thanks Andy! I'm intrigued by that one but am also ordered this one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that I don't have to take off any trim pieces. This one appears to replace the existing 'cubby' and then plugs into the existing USB via a short cable. Anyone have any experience with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:57 AM   #49
eugarte
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

I like that I don't have to take off any trim pieces. This one appears to replace the existing 'cubby' and then plugs into the existing USB via a short cable. Anyone have any experience with it?
I have it and it works as expected. Super easy to install, takes no more than 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #50
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:

Makes sense, it is a bit of a faff removing the trim, more so when you’re like me and don’t have a huge amount of patience, even so still only took about 25 mins to install but can see the benefit of the Amazon one
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #51
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:

This is a battery pack that needs to be recharged. The only connection I see on it is a recharging port. I am not sure it is set up to be plugged in all the time, though it looks like you could thread a short cord from the underside to the car's USB port. There is no indication of the power out or capacity of the battery that is doing the charging so if you don't run a cable (it is showing USB C) you would need to remove it fairly frequently to charge it. If that is the case, I don't see it as any better than plugging in. I have the other version and it works fairly well. I wasn't comfortable taking apart the trim pieces; my local shop did it for me in 15 minutes, I forget what they charged but I think it was between $50 and $100.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #52
BRSAusTex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
This is a battery pack that needs to be recharged. The only connection I see on it is a recharging port. I am not sure it is set up to be plugged in all the time, though it looks like you could thread a short cord from the underside to the car's USB port. There is no indication of the power out or capacity of the battery that is doing the charging so if you don't run a cable (it is showing USB C) you would need to remove it fairly frequently to charge it. If that is the case, I don't see it as any better than plugging in. I have the other version and it works fairly well. I wasn't comfortable taking apart the trim pieces; my local shop did it for me in 15 minutes, I forget what they charged but I think it was between $50 and $100.
Not sure what you mean by ‘battery pack’. The device has a mini USB with a short cable that gets permanently plugged into the existing USB port. There’s a video on their website that shows this.

I like that it has the factory look without disassembling any trim pieces, which could cause problems down the road (in my opinion]
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:22 AM   #53
Lukeuk
Private
Rep
Drives: M40I

Can't seem to find any where that does these in the UK, any one point me in the right direction please.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 06:28 AM   #54
DoubleZeroNineOneEight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by ‘battery pack’. The device has a mini USB with a short cable that gets permanently plugged into the existing USB port. There’s a video on their website that shows this.

I like that it has the factory look without disassembling any trim pieces, which could cause problems down the road (in my opinion]
I have this charger. What would you like to know about it? It’s usb-c not mini-usb. They provide a short usb-a right angle male to usb-c male together with the charger.
https://www.carqiwireless.com/collec...3-x4-2018-2020

Last edited by DoubleZeroNineOneEight; 04-20-2020 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #55
BRSAusTex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZeroNineOneEight View Post
I have this charger. What would you like to know about it? It’s usb-c not mini-usb. They provide a short usb-a right angle male to usb-c male together with the charger.
https://www.carqiwireless.com/collec...3-x4-2018-2020
Excellent!!! Any installation issues? The video looks pretty straightforward...

Heat generation?

And how about charging time? For me it's really more to just keep it replenishing what my iPhone would use while in the car for CarPlay.

THANKS!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #56
DoubleZeroNineOneEight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Excellent!!! Any installation issues? The video looks pretty straightforward...

Heat generation?

And how about charging time? For me it's really more to just keep it replenishing what my iPhone would use while in the car for CarPlay.

THANKS!!!!
No issues to install. Didn’t notice any heat. I can’t report on charging times yet but my intended use is the same as yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #57
BRSAusTex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZeroNineOneEight View Post
No issues to install. Didn’t notice any heat. I can’t report on charging times yet but my intended use is the same as yours.
Awesome.. thank you! It should arrive today and I'll report back to the group on results.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #58
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:

When I went on their website, it showed a charger with a battery that needed to be recharged. Maybe bad translation. The video certainly is different and I must have missed that. It does look like a neat solution with very easy install. Sorry if I got it wrong.

The only issue is you lose the USB port, but it looks easy enough to temporarily remove the charger if you need the USB for things like a software update.

Last edited by AlteBMW; 04-20-2020 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #59
BRSAusTex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
When I went on their website, it showed a charger with a battery that needed to be recharged. Maybe bad translation. The video certainly is different and I must have missed that. I does look like a neat solution with very easy install. Sorry if I got it wrong.

The only issue is you lose the USB port, but it looks easy enough to temporarily remove the charger if you need the USB for things like a software update.
They actually have another one that plugs into the cigarette lighter and creates a USB out of that. That, obviously, wouldn't work for software updates but would give you an option for additional non-wireless charging needs.

That being said, I didn't like how large that one was. Seemed more intrusive but it is LITERALLY plug-n-play.

https://www.carqiwireless.com/collec...-fast-charging
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #60
BRSAusTex
United_States
Rep

Received and installed in less than 2 minutes. Just pull out the existing rubber insert, connect the supplied USB cable, and insert the device while stuffing the small bit of excess cable within the install. Works fine.

My ONLY suggestion would be to change the design to make it more snug. It’s not loose by any stretch of the imagination, but I can wiggle it slightly if I try. I’d suggest putting a rubber coating on the underside (like the liner that was replaced) or enlarging by a couple millimeters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:28 AM   #61
P.Cullen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport Plus (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dombera View Post
Yes, fits and works perfectly. Installed on my X3 G01, produced at the end of 2018, registered in 2019.
What connector did you have, the 2 pin or 3 pin?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #62
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugarte View Post
I have it and it works as expected. Super easy to install, takes no more than 5 minutes.
One of the reviews says the cable doesn't work with the 2020. Your experience is different?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #63
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Received and installed in less than 2 minutes. Just pull out the existing rubber insert, connect the supplied USB cable, and insert the device while stuffing the small bit of excess cable within the install. Works fine.

My ONLY suggestion would be to change the design to make it more snug. It's not loose by any stretch of the imagination, but I can wiggle it slightly if I try. I'd suggest putting a rubber coating on the underside (like the liner that was replaced) or enlarging by a couple millimeters.
Mine arrived today, having ordered back in early Feb. I agree on the fit, not loose but I will probably add some adhesive foam to the charger so it fits 100% snug
Attached Images

05-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #64
ralphy1070
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Can anyone confirm if this will work with an IPhone 6 and otter box defender case?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #65
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphy1070 View Post
Can anyone confirm if this will work with an IPhone 6 and otter box defender case?
Pretty sure not, as iPhone 6 does not charge wirelessly 😂
dmicah769.00
Alias1431795.00
Arnoz30.00
      06-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #66
Randyf22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

SROC3, Thank you for the post. Your detailed guidance is perfect. I received the AliExpress wireless charger for my 2020 X3 the other day. The receipt stated the 2020 version of the wireless charger, and while it looks like it should fit, I could not get it to sit properly. From what I gathered, the charger is a little loose in the setting. So my question is, have you folks experienced the charger to “drop-in”, or do you have to finesse it in place?

Thanks!

An update: I installed the charger (again). I cut off the tabs on the right side (facing installed), thinking they were preventing the charger from sitting correctly. I could not get them to catch, nor the tabs at the bottom. I still have a good 1/8” gap over the USB port. Anyway, install is easy. The charger seems to work. The fit is far from perfect, but working with AliExpress to return looked like a nightmare.

Last edited by Randyf22; 06-27-2020 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0