BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-27-2022, 05:09 AM   #1
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 & BMW X1 F48

2016 X3 Remote Start

Hi guys,

I have a black 2016 X3 with black leather interior and it's hell in the summer and I mean absolute hell, if the car is left in the sun, I have to get out of the house, go outside, start the car, full A/C, and then maybe after 5-10 minutes I can drive the thing.

Is there any goddamn way to retrofit a remote start? has anybody done this? Is there an OEM retrofit for this?

I have that BMW App connected to my car (MyBMW), but those options "start ventilation" etc., are useless, I need to be able to start the car remotely so it cools in the summer before I drive it.

Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Yes, it can be done, though it's expensive and you need to sacrifice a key.
Did you the forum as this has been discussed several times?
People have been dealing with getting into hot vehicles in the summer for decades and survived
I have black leather so install custom breathable mesh cloth seat covers for the dead of summer as well as open all the windows as I'm walking toward the vehicles to expel some of the hot air and don't find I need to sit there for 10 minutes with the a/c on before I can drive away
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:19 PM   #3
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Yes, it can be done, though it's expensive and you need to sacrifice a key.
Did you the forum as this has been discussed several times?
People have been dealing with getting into hot vehicles in the summer for
No I didn't colonel, but I will, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 08:17 AM   #4
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I agree. Any car made after the mid-1990’s should have remote start embedded. ONLY cars we have ever owned since that time without it are my wife’s old 2009 Prius- Really Toyota!?! And our 2017 X3 - Really BMW!?!

I disagree with Pungo immensely that his steps are adequate, and really that just allows cover for BMW skimping and shortchanging customers on a VERY basic modern feature. I like my BMW, but this is a glaring engineering omission. I’m right there with Pole on this one.
      07-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstaff View Post
I disagree with Pungo immensely that his steps are adequate, and really that just allows cover for BMW skimping and shortchanging customers on a VERY basic modern feature. I like my BMW, but this is a glaring engineering omission. I’m right there with Pole on this one.
Just so you know, in many European countries leaving a vehicle unattended with the engine running is illegal

You can "disagree with me immensely",but "it is what it is", you can either spend ~$1000 to add auto start, or live without.

Idling a cold engine is not the smartest idea, especially in the dead of winter, in the summer it's not as bad since warm up is much faster. It's better to start it and drive off.

When it's cold outside, gasoline is less likely to evaporate. Your car compensates for this initially by adding more gasoline to the air-vapor mixture — running "rich" — and that's where the problem begins.

Because you're actually putting extra fuel into the combustion chamber to make it burn and some of it can get onto the cylinder walls. Gasoline is an outstanding solvent and it can actually wash oil off the walls if you run it in those cold idle conditions for an extended period of time.
Over time, that washing action can "have a detrimental effect on the lubrication and life of things like piston rings and cylinder liners," which are critical to running the cylinders and pistons that breathe life into your engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 11:53 PM   #6
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep

I agree with @Vikingstaff

Anyway, I am willing to spend 1000$ to have this added, so I will look into it. Bimmertech I've read, has a solution for this.

If the life cycle of the car is shorten by this, though I find it unlikely, it is what it is, I am not putting my car above my needs for comfort.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #7
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole1980 View Post
I agree with @Vikingstaff

Anyway, I am willing to spend 1000$ to have this added, so I will look into it. Bimmertech I've read, has a solution for this.

If the life cycle of the car is shorten by this, though I find it unlikely, it is what it is, I am not putting my car above my needs for comfort.
If you hold the unlock button, and keep holding it, it will open all of your windows and the moonroof. It's at least something to get some of the hot air out... until you get the remote start.
Appreciate 1