BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
mikenoack
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Whole set of dash lights after carwash

So.....I take the 2014 X3 F25 through a car wash yesterday.....no problems, as I never shut the car off throught the tunnel. Stop to get gas. Upon start up , it says my door is open......it clearly isn't....but I open and close a few time just to make sure.....same error. I park it for a couple of hours. Other then that Door Open error, The car sounds and runs perfectly. Now it gets interesting.
2 hours later, my wife comes in a says its lit up like a Christmas tree with 4-5 errors. It starts and runs fine......everything seems to function but.....
1) Parking Brake Malfunction. The brake seems to be stuck in the ON position?
2) Chassis Stabilization Failure
3) Flat Tire Monitor Error I reset this....but it cam back on an hour later.
4) Transmission Error. Can't seem to pick a gear?
5) Seat Belt Restraint Error

Worst thing is that I can't even select a gear to drive......shifter moves fine.....but it doesn't have any lights or anything on the shifter.
There was a bit of water in the boot. I had this a few years back....some error messages at the time...moreso to do with the battery....but they went away and have not had any issues since.
Dried up the water......unhooked the battery and let it discharge, pulled the ECU fuse and reset......ran a diagnostic on CARLY (useless) nothing......tried a few things I saw on YOUTUBE....nothing is working.

ANY IDEAS?

Many Thanks
Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:49 AM   #2
Beema525
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1993 E34 525iSE, 2016 F25 X3

Key chaos

It may or may not be related to the Key.

Last year my X3 was in the hands of an independent when the screenwash reservoir was found to be 'full of gel'. A very expensive cure ensued. After the work I collected car and the electrics were apparently shot to pieces when I tried to start the car. All sorts of nonsense happened for a few minutes.

During the work, the key battery was found to be low and replaced. It seems that the vehicle was unlocked at this time with accessories and power activated. After a few minutes everything was perfect when the battery and car re-synchronised.

Was your key damaged or compromised in any way during the car wash? How old is the battery? From memory it's a 2460 button cell (check that) and genuine batteries are low cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:15 AM   #3
mikenoack
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Thx for your post....

No it was just a normal car wash. I never left the inside of the car and the key was in my pocket. I have replaced the car battery as it was 10 years old and failed a test. But on installing the new battery.....all the same messages popped up. Stumped. Gonna have to tow it to a shop.
Weird thing is that I cannot get it to go into ANY gear......it seems locked out. So not sure how I am gonna move it
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 09:11 AM   #4
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenoack View Post
Thx for your post....

No it was just a normal car wash. I never left the inside of the car and the key was in my pocket. I have replaced the car battery as it was 10 years old and failed a test. But on installing the new battery.....all the same messages popped up. Stumped. Gonna have to tow it to a shop.
Weird thing is that I cannot get it to go into ANY gear......it seems locked out. So not sure how I am gonna move it
I think drive through car washes are notorious for flooding cars. I would check under the hood in the two compartments on the left and right closest to the doors. The one on the left is your cabin air intake; remove the air filter housing and look down into that "container." There is a drain in there and check to see if it's clogged. If that one is clogged, then the one under your brake fluid reservoir is probably clogged too. If there's too much water it can be a problem for electronics. I attached a photo of where to look under the hood; you can remove those vent covers.

I'd also check the battery compartment in the trunk; this is a common place for water to travel to when drains are clogged. Look the right of the battery and see if there is water pooling. Also look down into the holes where cables go with a flashlight to see if water went in there.

I'd also check the moon roof drains to make sure they aren't clogged. There's probably a YouTube video on the procedure. If you find water anywhere I'd let everything dry out before cranking again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 10:41 AM   #5
bmwPower99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw f25 X3 35d

Check your boot again, the battery could be submerged. check the passenger and driver footwells under your Matt's. Definately some kind of water damage has occurred imo. Water in these areas can cause issues. As mentioned, the drains can be blocked (4 drains) but the drains are also overwhelmed very easily causing water to go where It shouldn't.
Appreciate 0