BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
DW_x3m40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

Garage List
I have Bridgestone run flats and just found a puncture in the middle of one of the tires (not the sidewall) this morning where it deflated to 0 psi. Tire has less than 8k miles and enough tread where BMW service says it is okay for me to replace just one tire rather than all four. I asked if it's okay to repair it and they said RFT needs to be replaced instead of getting repaired when it is punctured.

However, I found mixed responses online on whether it is okay and safe to repair and was actually able to find a mom and pop tire store that would repair it for me.

Anyone else have thoughts on for or against repairing RFT? Seems like if repairing RFT are not recommended then it can get very costly each time you run over a nail - especially if you need to replace all 4 tires.

What I probably should have done was negotiate the tire warranty in given how crappy the roads are in SF or is it crappy tires that we got from BMW. But I guess I will save that for another thread...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

As long as the tyre hasn’t been driven on zero or near zero pressure it’s ok to repair.

If it’s been driven on zero pressure then the structural integrity of the side walls has been compromised.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
DW_x3m40i
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
As long as the tyre hasn't been driven on zero or near zero pressure it's ok to repair.

If it's been driven on zero pressure then the structural integrity of the side walls has been compromised.
I drove it for a few miles looking for tire shops.

Like maybe 2 miles?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW_x3m40i View Post
Quote:
As long as the tyre hasn't been driven on zero or near zero pressure it's ok to repair.

If it's been driven on zero pressure then the structural integrity of the side walls has been compromised.

Like maybe 2 miles?
You'll be fine. I've repaired 2 different tires 3 times over the last 1.5 years.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Like maybe 2 miles?
Not worth risking imo.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

I had one repaired. A day later the plug popped. I would replace the one.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

I had two rfts repaired in the past but neither had lost any pressure before the repairs. If it driven at all with no pressure then I would replace it (even 2 miles).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

A big reason I carry a portable air pump on the vehicle is so that I can prevent the run flats from going flat. I would replace if I ran it flat or under 10-15 psi for more than a mile or so.
Appreciate 1
bouchy71.00
      05-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Lots of contradicting and misinformation in this thread. It’s a RFT and by design they can be driven for short distances with zero or near zero pressure without internal carcass damage. Regardless, any tire shop you take it to (or dealer) will inspect the tire and decide depending on if there was sidewall damage, the puncture area is outside the patchable limits, etc. Also, it’s worth noting that certain MFG with higher speed ratings don’t allow patched tires (not the case for OEM X3 tires). Either way, ask your shop to inspect and decide. This coming from somebody who has patched hundreds of tires and worked at two different tires shops. My recommendation, take your shops or dealers advice and go from there.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
Lots of contradicting and misinformation in this thread. It’s a RFT and by design they can be driven for short distances with zero or near zero pressure without internal carcass damage. Regardless, any tire shop you take it to (or dealer) will inspect the tire and decide depending on if there was sidewall damage, the puncture area is outside the patchable limits, etc. Also, it’s worth noting that certain MFG with higher speed ratings don’t allow patched tires (not the case for OEM X3 tires). Either way, ask your shop to inspect and decide. This coming from somebody who has patched hundreds of tires and worked at two different tires shops. My recommendation, take your shops or dealers advice and go from there.
That is absolutely not the case!!

RFT's can be driven up to 50 miles on zero or close to zero pressure, that is because as soon as you start driving on it with no pressure the side walls start to deteriorate.

So yes it 'might' be ok after 2 miles, or even 50 miles, but it might not, and repairing and reusing it could result in it blowing out and totalling your car, and injuring or killing the occupants.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

If you drove it while the pressure was still high enough not to trigger the warning in iDrive, then you're probably fine to repair it.

As soon as that pressure warning goes off, if you're still driving it, you're going to have damaged the tyre and it should be replaced.
Appreciate 1
teaston10992.50
      05-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #12
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:

RFT's can be driven up to 50 miles on zero or close to zero pressure, that is because as soon as you start driving on it with no pressure the side walls start to deteriorate.

So yes it 'might' be ok after 2 miles, or even 50 miles, but it might not, and repairing and reusing it could result in it blowing out and totalling your car, and injuring or killing the occupants.
How is that not the case, you are basically reiterating what I just said...

Hence the reason why I said: "Regardless, any tire shop you take it to (or dealer) will inspect the tire and decide depending on if there was sidewall damage, the puncture area is outside the patchable limits, etc." It's all circumstantial, but as I stated driving for a short distance on run flats at low pressure they don't start magically disintegrating, I've changed a few of them over the years...

Frankly, it doesn't matter what the OP wants in regards to tire decision - if the tire is damaged or was driven in a manner that might have damaged it a shop WILL NOT reinstall it. Acting like he is the one that will make the decision and be risking others lives is a gross overstatement and just won't happen. ANY credible shop has severe liability to not properly diagnose a tire that has went flat, on any given day that is generally 50% of the service that comes through these shops.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #13
DW_x3m40i
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I went ahead and got it repaired. Tire shop said the sidewall was fine and that tire was repairable.

Been driving all weekend and it's been all good. Will pick up a pump though just to keep PSI up in case this happens again.

Here's a pic of the patch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:57 AM   #14
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Yeah I had mine patched when a screw went through. I woke up that morning with 13psi in that tire, inflated it and drove to the tire shop. I drove about 2k miles on them afterward before switching out to my current non rf tires. You should be fine.
      05-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well I went ahead and got it repaired. Tire shop said the sidewall was fine and that tire was repairable.

Been driving all weekend and it's been all good. Will pick up a pump though just to keep PSI up in case this happens again.

Here's a pic of the patch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
Quote:

How is that not the case, you are basically reiterating what I just said...

Hence the reason why I said: "Regardless, any tire shop you take it to (or dealer) will inspect the tire and decide depending on if there was sidewall damage, the puncture area is outside the patchable limits, etc." It's all circumstantial, but as I stated driving for a short distance on run flats at low pressure they don't start magically disintegrating, I've changed a few of them over the years...

Frankly, it doesn't matter what the OP wants in regards to tire decision - if the tire is damaged or was driven in a manner that might have damaged it a shop WILL NOT reinstall it. Acting like he is the one that will make the decision and be risking others lives is a gross overstatement and just won't happen. ANY credible shop has severe liability to not properly diagnose a tire that has went flat, on any given day that is generally 50% of the service that comes through these shops.
You can't see the damage, it is inside the structure of the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I've driven cars with run flat tires for about 15 years now. You are perfectly fine and should have no issues with that fix. You can choose to be overly cautious, and that will never hurt anything but your wallet, but given my many similar experiences, I would be shocked if you ever have an issue with that fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #17
Akin_stones
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

X3 RFT nailed tire repair

My X3 tire pressure after nail damage has never dropped below 29 psi, yet again BMW service recommended changing it due to safety reasons. Apparently the weight of the SUV leaves the patch vulnerable to an imminent failure.

Important point; in the case (and most probably, they say) repaired tire fails after 15-20k km, then all 4 tires will have to be replaced since the rubber depths should not deviate more than 10% from each other in an AWD vehicle, again for safety reasons.

If lucky enough with only one replacement (i.e. already running on relatively new tires), it might be worth just going for it.

PS: Our 318i R18 RFT tire runs w/o any problem for 1.5-2 years now after repair.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 08:58 AM   #18
antgenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 Infinity Q50  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
I had them repaired multiple times and no issues. Pressure never dropped to o though and I added air as needed to get to the shop.
The second set of tires was from Tire Rack and had road hazard coverage. I was "lucky" to rupture side wall on the pothole (actually it was my wife driving at night) and they replaced 2 tires at once as the second had a plug in it. It takes some effort to get the claim put together, but the shop did all pictures and paperwork.
As it comes to the dealer, they will always say to replace. Funny, they told my wife during routine oil change that the pressure is low and all tires need to be replaced. They also showed her the nail! She called me and I just told them to put some air and let her go. No puncture at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 04:03 PM   #19
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

Point of information:....The difference between a RF tire and a conventional tire is a RF tire has a much stronger TIRE BEAD than a conventional tire, so a flat tire DOES NOT COME OFF THE WHEEL when you drive a short distance for repair or replacement. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:18 PM   #20
TJay74
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 Audi S4, 19 Corvette Z06

This is a classic and sadly typical case of a dealer giving out inaccurate info. Michelin, Goodyear, and Continental all allow a runflat tire to be repaired at least once with an internal patch/plug as long as the tire was not driven one while at 0psi and as long as the repair is inside of the repairable zone.

Any dealer who says otherwise is purely just trying to sell a tire instead of built a solid relationship with their customer, so they basically believe in profit over relationship.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1270.50
      12-07-2023, 05:25 PM   #21
IAmSpeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
In short, you can repair it once or twice depends on the damage severity. However, it's very sad that nowadays, most shops and dealers always "encourage" customers to replace it.
2004 Toyota Vios | 2004 BMW X3 | 2007 Chrysler Town and Country | 2007 Ford Escape | 2008 Honda CRV | 2017 Nissan Versa Note | 2017 Toyota RAV4 | 2017 Toyota Yaris iA | 2019 Porsche 911 | 2023 BMW X4 M40i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:47 AM   #22
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I have three plugs in my run flats over 13k miles so far, two of them are in one tire. Zero issues .
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0