BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #1
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

(UK) Thatcham Approved Tracker

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone got any recommendations for trackers?

I have been in two minds about trackers in the fact that yes you pay a couple of hundred quid to get them fitted and say £10 a month subscription. So without answering my own question you would have to weigh up the savings for car insurance and the simple fact that if my high performance car got nicked and thrashed to bits by some young yobs would I actually want the police to find it and give me it back

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Hi.

I’m having to have a tracker fitted for my insurance.

I’ve had to have a CAT 5 one fitted which my dealer is fitting before I collect the car so it doesn’t affect my warranty.

The strange thing it’s I’ve got to have it fitted not because of what type of car it is but because it’s above the value ceiling for my insurance company.

I was not going to have one fitted as I don’t like having new cars pulled apart but I supposed in the long run it’s for the best.

The one I’m getting is called a Trackstar which is approved by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo535 View Post
Hi.

I’m having to have a tracker fitted for my insurance.

I’ve had to have a CAT 5 one fitted which my dealer is fitting before I collect the car so it doesn’t affect my warranty.

The strange thing it’s I’ve got to have it fitted not because of what type of car it is but because it’s above the value ceiling for my insurance company.

I was not going to have one fitted as I don’t like having new cars pulled apart but I supposed in the long run it’s for the best.

The one I’m getting is called a Trackstar which is approved by BMW.
Thanks for your reply.

I haven't heard of that one before but I guess every insurance is difference and there is alot of different variables to why they require it.

I'll look into it a bit and run some insurance quotes with and without a tracker fitted
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

My insurance came down roughly £260 with a tracker.

Without tracker most companies won’t even quote me.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo535 View Post
My insurance came down roughly £260 with a tracker.

Without tracker most companies won’t even quote me.

Checked mine there, only reduced the premium by £21 so not worth it from that respect
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwtsn View Post
Anyone got any recommendations for trackers?

I have been in two minds about trackers in the fact that yes you pay a couple of hundred quid to get them fitted and say £10 a month subscription. So without answering my own question you would have to weigh up the savings for car insurance and the simple fact that if my high performance car got nicked and thrashed to bits by some young yobs would I actually want the police to find it and give me it back

Any thoughts?
My insurance isn't looking very expensive, and only £10 a month more than my wife's Mini! No tracker for me. More money for fuel.
Appreciate 1
aliwtsn46.50
      11-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M Competition

Having had a previous car stolen and altho the insurance was paid out as a total loss after few weeks. It then took nearly 2 months for them to get a new factory build to the exact same spec and delivered to me.....so a guess tracker means you would get it back in a few hours tops once you report it as stolen.

I used to also think i wouldnt want it back if stolen but tbh most times cars like this are stolen and parked up asap for a few days to see if they have a tracker so wont be that much damage if any imo.
      11-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-f View Post
Having had a previous car stolen and altho the insurance was paid out as a total loss after few weeks. It then took nearly 2 months for them to get a new factory build to the exact same spec and delivered to me.....so a guess tracker means you would get it back in a few hours tops once you report it as stolen.

I used to also think i wouldnt want it back if stolen but tbh most times cars like this are stolen and parked up asap for a few days to see if they have a tracker so wont be that much damage if any imo.
Yes valid point as seen on "Traffic Cops" .....I'll maybe shop around and see what garages can fit them without ripping too much of the car apart once I get it
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M Competition

Quote:
Yes valid point as seen on "Traffic Cops" .....I'll maybe shop around and see what garages can fit them without ripping too much of the car apart once I get it
Especially if car has comfort access then its worth thinking about as they are too easy to disappear without even getting your keys.
aliwtsn46.50
      11-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
HI

I see you haven't collected your car yet.

You could always get a quote from your dealer.
Appreciate 1
aliwtsn46.50
      11-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #11
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

My insurance, gieco, would not insure the car without a tracker. Too high of value. I went with a blue track from Viasat. Battery powered and only kicks in if you call them and report the car stolen. I'm selling it in a month when I move back to the US.
Appreciate 1
aliwtsn46.50