BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Do the OEM mudflaps still have fitment issue?

I'm thinking about adding front and rear mudflaps to reduce stones, dirt and mud from being thrown on the side of the vehicle. I drive on several roads that have debris on them that tires kicks up. These roads can get really bad with runoff during and after a heavy rain storm.

I searched and found many old posts stating that they separated from the body leaving an unsightly gap where the double sided tape is suppose to keep them against the black wheel arch trim. I read that they also warp after they've been on awhile. Not sure if there was an issue with the earlier production units, improper installation or they're just a bad fit.

Has anyone recently installed them and had them fit well? Are you happy with them?

It probably doesn't matter, but these are for a 2011 35i w/18s non-M sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Don't waste your money on BMW branded OEM mudflaps for the F25...they are rubbish...and fell apart after a couple of Canadian winters. They cost 100 bucks a pair here (CAD).

I just bought an identical set (front and rears)...online for 50 CAD shipped....although I don't expect them to last more than a couple of winters either. Probably the same crap Chinese factory as the OEM ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

rallyarmor .

ken block style

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980246
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Don't waste your money on BMW branded OEM mudflaps for the F25...they are rubbish...and fell apart after a couple of Canadian winters. They cost 100 bucks a pair here (CAD).
I just bought an identical set (front and rears)...online for 50 CAD shipped....although I don't expect them to last more than a couple of winters either. Probably the same crap Chinese factory as the OEM ones.
I hadn't heard of them failing apart, only about them pulling away from the body trim. What fell apart? Did they crack, chip, fall off or what? I'd expect better for $120 USD from BMW.

I wonder if you got counterfeit ones? Did you get them from the BMW dealer or from an online retailer.

Has anyone else had theirs fall apart?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Here you go...left and right rear....No they are not counterfeit, 100 bucks a pair...from BMW...Like most crap (BMW or other)..Chinese rubbish...Both of the rears have big chunks that fell off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here you go...left and right rear....No they are not counterfeit, 100 bucks a pair...from BMW...Like most crap (BMW or other)..Chinese rubbish...Both of the rears have big chunks that fell off.
That's a real shame that a BMW part would fall apart like that. Do you get allot of snow and ice built up onto the mudflaps? I wonder if your conditions on the Canadian road are more severe than with snow and ice that I get here in Maryland? Do you do allot of offroading? The reason I say this is because this is the first I've heard of them cracking about like that.

So you're saying the cheaper aftermarket ones you picked up for half the price are identical to the ones you got from BMW? Can you share a link? Did they come with all the installation hardward that the BMW ones came with? If they're the same as the BMW ones, I may pick up a set and see how they hold up.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Will add a link and some actual pics of what was received. Not half the price, just looked I paid 45 CAD...vice 200 from BMW.

Never had this happen with any vehicle...no not off roaded. This is my better half’s vehicle... 67K babied Km...

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 03-29-2019 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mud-...5fab4c4diBAPfU

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs...a-24d480d02e05

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 03-29-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Will add a link and some actual pics of what was received. Not half the price, just looked I paid 45 CAD...vice 200 from BMW.

Never had this happen with any vehicle...no not off roaded. This is my better half’s vehicle... 67K babied Km...
That's pretty bad if they fell apart like that on a babied vehicle. Did they all crack? Mabe something hit them?

Those look different than the OEM ones. I wonder if they need additional holes drilled. Did they come with the mounting hardware? Stainless steel? I see those on ebay all day for $29 USD shipped so 25% the cost of OEM. The OEM ones are $120 USD shipped. If they use the same mounting holes and don't require and additional drilling, they might be worth a shot a $29, though I do question the quality for that price?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

I installed my last set of OEM ones...look the same to me...although the OEM hardware was mainly plastic rivets. I have replaced a couple of the rivets.

These ABS replacements look no different...I don't see these fitting and lasting any better or worse.

You asked for the link..and a bit on info....the BMW ones are the worst set of mud flaps I have ever put on a vehicle....But they are only mud flaps...Strangely, never had any gaps...I did apply where they had 3M and will again...

I'll be installing them in a week or two...will post a couple pics

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 03-30-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I installed my last set of OEM ones...look the same to me...although the OEM hardware was mainly plastic rivets. I have replaced a couple of the rivets.

These ABS replacements look no different...I don't see these fitting and lasting any better or worse.

You asked for the link..and a bit on info....the BMW ones are the worst set of mud flaps I have ever put on a vehicle....But they are only mud flaps...Strangely, never had any gaps...I did apply where they had 3M and will again...

I'll be installing them in a week or two...will post a couple pics

Thanks for providing the links and your real world experience with the OEM mudflaps. It's a shame the OEM ones were not of the quality you'd expect from BMW.

I was looking at the pictures of the ones you linked and comparing those against the pictures I could find of the OEM ones. They looked different, though maybe the pictures of the OEM were not the exact ones being sold? Since you have both the OEM and the aftermarket ones, you'd know better than me of they look the same.

Pictures of them installed on your vehicle would be great along with your opinion about how they fit. I guess for $30, that's not too much to loose, as long as they don't require drilling a bunch of holes. I just hate drilling holes if I need to fill them later because they failed and ended up removing them.

Aftermarket
Name:  aftermarket mudflaps.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  35.1 KB

OEM (these may not be the X3 ones)
Name:  OEM mudflaps.JPG
Views: 663
Size:  57.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #12
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

I quickly looked at the side profile...of the installed ones and my new replacements...the fronts have the same mold pattern where it counts...and the rears...match the same curve...with no real molded inset where they fit against the body like the front. Doing that I notice that the rears are longer overall...extending an inch or so higher on the wheel arch and as a result have an extra hole I had not noticed. Given that's where the plastic rivets previously failed...I see that as a good thing. Note, the screws in the pic where not part of the original BMW kit for all positions. Like I said, I will see how they fit...when I install them in the coming weeks.

The BMW pic you show, looks nothing like the actual BMW ones for an F25.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 04-01-2019 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I quickly looked at the side profile...of the installed ones and my new replacements...the fronts have the same mold pattern where it counts...and the rears...match the same curve...with no real molded inset where they fit against the body like the front. Doing that I notice that the rears are longer overall...extending an inch or so higher on the wheel arch and as a result have an extra hole I had not noticed. Given that's where the plastic rivets previously failed...I see that as a good thing. Note, the screws in the pic where not part of the original BMW kit for all positions. Like I said, I will see how they fit...when I install them in the coming weeks.

The BMW pic you show, looks nothing like the actual BMW ones for an F25.
Thanks for the comparison. I'm curious to know your opinion on the fit and quality once you get them installed. Do they also come with the double sided tape like the OEM ones? At $30 shipped for all 4, they're pretty reasonable, even if they need to be replaced every now and then.

Yeah, the pics of the OEM ones I posted don't even look close so the seller must have just used pics from some other model vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #14
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Put the rears on...they are a bit longer and capture an extra plastic rivet location on the wheel arch trim...all hole locations lined-up....The originals did not have any 3m on the rears....nor did these....They fit really well....no difference that way.

I'm happy pics to follow...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the update. For $30, they're might be worth a shot. Are you saying the fronts came with tape, but the rears did not, even the OEM rears didn't have tape? Both the front and rear OEM ones I looked at all had tape. Not that it matters too much since I have a large roll of 3M professional automotive 2-way tape I can use if needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Thanks for the update. For $30, they're might be worth a shot. Are you saying the fronts came with tape, but the rears did not, even the OEM rears didn't have tape? Both the front and rear OEM ones I looked at all had tape. Not that it matters too much since I have a large roll of 3M professional automotive 2-way tape I can use if needed.

No tape on the rears...the battered OEM or the new ones.....I definitely remembered a strip of 3m..so it must have been the front....Anyway..they contour perfectly and are snug...Had a look this afternoon...all is well.
Appreciate 0