BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #67
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Hmm... I was under the impression, based on other tests than the one linked above, that X3 was bigger in the typical "child seat" measurements for the back seat, than Q5 and XC60... I am hoping I'm right, because I need space. :-)

/n
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #68
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Hmm... I was under the impression, based on other tests than the one linked above, that X3 was bigger in the typical "child seat" measurements for the back seat, than Q5 and XC60... I am hoping I'm right, because I need space. :-)

/n
Try this.....

https://www.carwow.co.uk/bmw/x3/practicality
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #69
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2101 View Post
Thanks, seen that. And beautiful pics of Ivory white Merino. :-)

Was more thinking about side-by-side comparisons in the same review, with child seats like mine. Yeah. I guess I have to do it myself.

/n
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #70
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:

Was more thinking about side-by-side comparisons in the same review, with child seats like mine. Yeah. I guess I have to do it myself.

/n
Afraid so. I tried the Q5 and Xc60 as well and felt the X3 had the most room. Who knows if it actually did but it felt the roomier.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #71
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Quote:
Really? I would disagree unless you are huge I found there is plenty of room.
I am 6’3,200 pounds, however here is an independent view, dead last in its class in rear legroom Space.
I think 2018 Macan would have been dead last in combined legroom if included here...
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #72
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The new Macan S facelift is released, same performance as the M40i. The Autogefuhl presenter says the M40i has less rear legroom than the Macan hmmm.... see from 17:00
I think I heard the presenter said "it feels a little bigger than X3" without giving out real data to back himself up... :

I looked up the 2018 spec and the combined front and back legroom of Macan (40.9F and 35.6B) is a tiny bit smaller than X3 (40.3F and 36.4B).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #73
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

I can't stand those guys as automotive reviewers...although they generally are informative at some points. With that said, the new Macan is damn good looking. Only thing I wish is they didn't slope the rear roof line so much.
Appreciate 1
Mcouple18.00
      12-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #74
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
As soon as he put the key in the dashboard, I stopped watching. Look how old fashioned the instrument cluster is. Seems like a very lame facelift, especially as VW & Audi have all the latest tech.
Does Porsche offer any of their vehicles (even though I know it would be optional) that offers keyless ignition?
And though I know the reason why they have the key ignition on the left of the wheel, it's just plain stupid that they still insist on doing it that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #75
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

The '19 Macan has 17.7 cu ft. of cargo space with rear seats up (the only way most people use it) vs. the X3's 28.7 cu ft.. this isn't close. If you need any sort of cargo capacity the Macan is out, and Porsche's pricing has gotten absolutely ridiculous...and even the new '19 Macan S is slower than the M40i for more money... no thanks.
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #76
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

/n
Afraid so. I tried the Q5 and Xc60 as well and felt the X3 had the most room. Who knows if it actually did but it felt the roomier.
True.

I avoided Q5, for other reasons, but the back seat of XC60 felt smaller to me too. On the plus side there is the T8 plug-in hybrid. Would have suited my driving style at the moment..
      12-13-2018, 04:11 AM   #77
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I think I heard the presenter said "it feels a little bigger than X3" without giving out real data to back himself up... :

I looked up the 2018 spec and the combined front and back legroom of Macan (40.9F and 35.6B) is a tiny bit smaller than X3 (40.3F and 36.4B).
He had done the first ever M40i review, you can see it on the channel where he goes through the space. They also did a 30i last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
I can't stand those guys as automotive reviewers...although they generally are informative at some points. With that said, the new Macan is damn good looking. Only thing I wish is they didn't slope the rear roof line so much.
True, headroom is X4 tight, put a sunroof no 6 footers at the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Does Porsche offer any of their vehicles (even though I know it would be optional) that offers keyless ignition?
And though I know the reason why they have the key ignition on the left of the wheel, it's just plain stupid that they still insist on doing it that way.
Nope, Porsche heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
The '19 Macan has 17.7 cu ft. of cargo space with rear seats up (the only way most people use it) vs. the X3's 28.7 cu ft.. this isn't close. If you need any sort of cargo capacity the Macan is out, and Porsche's pricing has gotten absolutely ridiculous...and even the new '19 Macan S is slower than the M40i for more money... no thanks.
It’s X4 size, the S is still slower than M40i(some reviewers have wrong data)which is the bargain performance car of the segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I think 2018 Macan would have been dead last in combined legroom if included here...
Not in the same class, more X4 or GLC coupe though it’s legroom is marginally smaller than the X3 from the specs. X3 trunk is adequate. The X3/5 have prioritised trunk space at expense of legroom.even the Cayenne which is smaller than X5, has more legroom at the rear.

Quote:
The headroom makes it feel bigger, if below 6ft, X3 more than adequate

Quote:

/n
That’s what I did to come to my own conclusion, reviewers just give a feeling, they actually aren’t buying the car to live with it daily. Am making my purchase in Q1, so many good options out there, it will be tough.
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      12-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #78
SDGUY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

My 2018 Macan GTS has keyless ignition. It is not a button but rather a protrusion on the left of the steering wheel (of course) that you turn like a key. The remote stays in my pocket.

My wife has an X3 M40i and the rear seats have much more room than my Macan. I'm always apologizing to back seat occupants in my Macan. The cargo floor areas seem very similar but I haven't measured. Probably fewer cubic feet in the Macan due to the raked back hatch.

If you care about performance, my wife's M40i has far more low end torque and feels much faster with less turbo lag than my car. It is not subtle either. The M40i is a rocket at takeoff and puts a bigger smile on my face. The Macan however has more refined handling and has a richer looking cockpit IMO. After 8 months I feel that the Macan is overpriced and the M40i is the biggest bargain around.
Appreciate 4
MechX3M40i1006.00
kozzi927.00
Bimar795.00
      12-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #79
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGUY View Post
My 2018 Macan GTS has keyless ignition. It is not a button but rather a protrusion on the left of the steering wheel (of course) that you turn like a key. The remote stays in my pocket.

My wife has an X3 M40i and the rear seats have much more room than my Macan. I'm always apologizing to back seat occupants in my Macan. The cargo floor areas seem very similar but I haven't measured. Probably fewer cubic feet in the Macan due to the raked back hatch.

If you care about performance, my wife's M40i has far more low end torque and feels much faster with less turbo lag than my car. It is not subtle either. The M40i is a rocket at takeoff and puts a bigger smile on my face. The Macan however has more refined handling and has a richer looking cockpit IMO. After 8 months I feel that the Macan is overpriced and the M40i is the biggest bargain around.
Appreciate feedback from an actual owner of both Macan and X3! You have plenty of time to live with both vehicles and your comments weigh a lot more than any YouTubers who were sponsored one way or another!

Have you proposed swapping cars with your wife yet?
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      12-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #80
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

I recently purchased a X3. I did look at the Macan, but never got a chance to test drive it. The Sales people were too busy doing what ever they do there..

Any case I really like the seats in the Macan over my X3. It was more of a bucket hugging seat which just felt really comfortable. The back seat did seem a little bit more cramped.. but I'm basing on memory of just quickly looking over it. We had left the dealership relatively quickly because no service, no money from me. I also remember the console had nearly every button ever possible..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #81
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
I like the Macan and we have been cross shopping it with the X3 30xi and Macan Base and maybe S and also a Q5 Prestige. It is for my wife, so she does not need a 40xi or really even Macan S and Turbo.

I think the Macan is still a head turner on the road and fit and finish are outstanding. Their tech is still way behind BMW and like other have said it is smaller in rear seats and trunk. It also is about 8k to 10k more than a similar X3. However, I think resale value is better in the long term and she likes to buy her cars.

Since Consumer Reports has dinged the X3 on reliability that worries us a bit, although by last two BMW's have been great, including my current G30, knock on wood.
They just look like a Q3 to me. I want to like them but I just can't.
Appreciate 1
BillD1953232.00
      12-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #82
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:

Your comments are always welcome for you own both. The facelift Macan they changed engines to the ones in the Cayenne(Audi sourced) with lower end torque and drastically reduced turbo lag . Curious if you were given the choice again of the GTS and M40i if you would swap.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #83
SDGUY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Quote:
Your comments are always welcome for you own both. The facelift Macan they changed engines to the ones in the Cayenne(Audi sourced) with lower end torque and drastically reduced turbo lag . Curious if you were given the choice again of the GTS and M40i if you would swap.
Time will tell on the 2019 Macan. Early reviews on the 2019 Macan S perfornance are mixed. In the US, we won't see the refreshed models until spring. The GTS and Turbo will reportedly have yet a different V6 engine and may not be seen till 2020.

As for swapping, I drive both vehicles (we are retired) and, so I don't have to choose. I've owned several Porsches and I like owning the Macan but wish it had the low end torque of the straight 6 of the M40i. My salesperson says I should have gotten the Macan TurboPP. I have not driven one but that would have been $110K, almost 2X the cost of the M40i. That's kind of crazy for an SUV, don't you think?
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      12-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #84
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Time will tell on the 2019 Macan. Early reviews on the 2019 Macan S perfornance are mixed. In the US, we won't see the refreshed models until spring. The GTS and Turbo will reportedly have yet a different V6 engine and may not be seen till 2020.

As for swapping, I drive both vehicles (we are retired) and, so I don't have to choose. I've owned several Porsches and I like owning the Macan but wish it had the low end torque of the straight 6 of the M40i. My salesperson says I should have gotten the Macan TurboPP. I have not driven one but that would have been $110K, almost 2X the cost of the M40i. That's kind of crazy for an SUV, don't you think?
$110k for a loaded Macan? Hmm... If I have that kind of money to spare, I would consider getting the upcoming X3M and keep the change for a nice long European vacation... Or, upsize the ride to a X5 M50i or something similar like a nicely optioned Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #85
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:

Ditto. Just last month traded in my CPO 2016 Macan S (after less than 6 months) to get a 2019 X3 M40i. Definitely more rear seat room across multiple dimensions, and having the ability to rake the rear seatbacks further back is a big positive for us.

In terms of performance, I'd say there is definitely more useable, immediate power and torque from the M40i. It's much faster 'out of the hole' than the Macan, which I think is due to a combination of engine tuning, e-throttle tuning and the ZF transmission in the X3 smoking the PDK in the Porsche. The lull / hole / pause off the line in the Macan is well documented on Porsche-specific forums like MacanForums and Rennlist, and is a real day-to-day annoyance.

Now that I'm in the M40i there is no more worrying about turning left from a stop in two way traffic and nearly getting T-boned. I also don't miss the follow-up lurch and over-zoom as the Macan engine and transmission unexpectedly spin up to warp 2....

Also, with the 20" RS Spyder wheels and without PASM (adjustable suspension modes), I found the Macan to be unnecessarily harsh around town, vs. my last F80 M3 (on 19's) or my M40i (on 19's).

As a lapsed Porschephile (admittedly all manual transmission street and race 911s in the past), I was really disappointed that the 2016 Macan S was such a hot mess, especially at that price point.
Appreciate 2
MechX3M40i1006.00
kozzi927.00
      12-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #86
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog97 View Post
Ditto. Just last month traded in my CPO 2016 Macan S (after less than 6 months) to get a 2019 X3 M40i. Definitely more rear seat room across multiple dimensions, and having the ability to rake the rear seatbacks further back is a big positive for us.

In terms of performance, I'd say there is definitely more useable, immediate power and torque from the M40i. It's much faster 'out of the hole' than the Macan, which I think is due to a combination of engine tuning, e-throttle tuning and the ZF transmission in the X3 smoking the PDK in the Porsche. The lull / hole / pause off the line in the Macan is well documented on Porsche-specific forums like MacanForums and Rennlist, and is a real day-to-day annoyance.

Now that I'm in the M40i there is no more worrying about turning left from a stop in two way traffic and nearly getting T-boned. I also don't miss the follow-up lurch and over-zoom as the Macan engine and transmission unexpectedly spin up to warp 2....

Also, with the 20" RS Spyder wheels and without PASM (adjustable suspension modes), I found the Macan to be unnecessarily harsh around town, vs. my last F80 M3 (on 19's) or my M40i (on 19's).

As a lapsed Porschephile (admittedly all manual transmission street and race 911s in the past), I was really disappointed that the 2016 Macan S was such a hot mess, especially at that price point.
This is really interesting to hear, I had contemplated a Macan GTS but the leg and head room is a bit of a deal breaker at my height (6'3) making the back seats not near as usable.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #87
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
By the time the refreshed Macan GTS hits the US, the 2020 X3 M40i will be coming out shortly after with the upgraded B58 (similar engine as the 2020 M340i.) and 385 HP.

The beauty of the X3 M40i is that it has the performance, tech and the utility to making it IMO, the best all around SAV in class.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #88
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
This is really interesting to hear, I had contemplated a Macan GTS but the leg and head room is a bit of a deal breaker at my height (6'3) making the back seats not near as usable.
Sorry - forgot to add - I'm 6'2", 260 lbs, size 48L suit (= long torso, shortish legs). The Macan was a tight squeeze - much like a fighter jet cockpit - while the M40i is definitely MUCH roomier. Two friends of mine rode in the Macan with me to and from the Newport yacht show earlier this year, and both remarked at how small of a car it was, particularly for someone as large as me.

Back to the Macan vs. X3 - I forgot to mention that the technology in the M40i is current state of the art, while the Porsche technology in the current Macan seems, well, rather dated.
  • incredibly busy center console with loads of toggles, pushbuttons, etc. - everyone notices that. The reality of ownership: in my experience, once you've picked your climate settings, you only ever use like 1-2 of those buttons. It is going all glass with the new model, to mimic the current Panorama sedan and (I think) the new Cayenne
  • the PCM system for bluetooth, navigation, music, etc. is really old school (the interface, specifically) and sometimes slow. The nav system reminds me of the nav that was in my 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser
  • while it has some voice commands, like Mercedes it's just not as versatile and refined as the current BMW iDrive system
  • the backup camera takes a solid second or two to come on when you select reverse - gets more and more annoying as time goes on
  • you can't get the rear hatch to close from the fob - just not possible (standard on Mercedes, code-able on BMWs)
  • there is no such thing as consumer/non-dealer coding on Porsche
After quizzing two dealers, I finally found a third dealer who could turn shut off the annoying loud "beep beep beep" sound whenever the rear hatch opens and closes (sounds like a garbage or delivery truck backing up)...so that's a plus....
Appreciate 0