BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #45
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpharp View Post
Get the macan, the build quality on the G01 X3 is extremely poor.
Can you be more specific?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #46
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
I agree, the PDK is the best of the dual clutch boxes and in the Macan S and Macan Turbo PP is supremely impressive, but IMHO for 99% of real world driving it is bested by the superb ZF 8 speed.

The Macan may handle slightly better (especially in GTS format) but that flight deck centre console annoys me with the myriad switches (and blanks!), the infotainment system is not even as good as iDrive 5 let alone 6, and the rear seat and boot space are barely comparable to my 340i wagon, let alone the X3.

I love the Macan, but even if a Macan GTS was the same price as the X3 M40i i'd still choose the X3. In reality once you spec them up the Macan the price difference is HUGE. Admittedly the Macan will hold its value better, but with a new Macan on the horizon i suspect that will change too...
New Macan is 4 years away, a facelift on the way for MY 2019. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonmouth View Post
Surprised you'd say that. Coming from a Tiptronic S in the Cayenne, the PDK in the Macan felt more...zealous. TTS and the ZF can do the dual job of slushing gears together and batting out at full tip marvellously, but with the power loss between shifts (less so now) and the occasional shift lag, PDK felt more instantaneous. I just felt almost telepathically connected to the Macan in a way that I didn't quite get at with the M40i, if that makes any sense. I also didn't experience the jerky-loud-clunky thing you describe, but it sounds annoying. I'd like to hear more, if you please?

^This. The Macan did handle a bit better. It also feels like a *much* smaller car. I'd take the M40 (and I did) purely because for what the X3 is and what it does, there's nothing else that comes close. I won't even get into the options and the infotainment in the Porsche. After using iDrive, nothing else is good enough.

My only source of annoyance now is finding 21" all season tires (currently impossible) because I refuse to take those gorgeous 718M rims off. God help me.
The facelift Macan is coming with the Panamera infotainment which is very good, idrive imho is no longer a compelling differentiator for BMW, everyone has stepped their game and some surpassed idrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
but is not even in the same size category as the G01. Its a great small-sized SAV for sure, and I've never doubted it's fit/finish and performance/handling, but I remain puzzled with the incessant cross-shop comparisons to the G01. Macan cargo - 17.7 cu ft. G01 cargo - 28.7 cu ft. Not even close.

The only comparisons to the G01 wrt cargo vol are the New Cayenne Turbo which still has less, at 23.6 cu ft, or the F-Pace, Range Rover, XC60, or SQ5. Even the Urus has 21.8 and the Cullinan 21.0.
The market in all honesty should compare the Macan to the X4 and GLC coupe from a storage and size perspective, though those two rear seating space is still bigger.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #47
Cottonmouth
Ataraxic
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Give it some time. It will get louder and louder. I can also add the the dual-clutch transmissions are really awful in parking lot slow-speed situations, and god forbid you need to get the thing close to end of a parking spot that is on an incline.
How unfortunate. I would deal with the clunky low-speed performance to have the incredible canyon carving though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
The facelift Macan is coming with the Panamera infotainment which is very good, idrive imho is no longer a compelling differentiator for BMW, everyone has stepped their game and some surpassed idrive.
I have yet to see a luxury car infotainment system equal to or better than iDrive, short of Tesla. MMI still looks low-res (with the exception of the new A8). Volvo, meh. COMAND looks older than it is, and is much less intuitive. I can't speak to Caddy or Lincoln, but let's say I have my doubts.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #48
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How unfortunate. I would deal with the clunky low-speed performance to have the incredible canyon carving though.

I have yet to see a luxury car infotainment system equal to or better than iDrive, short of Tesla. MMI still looks low-res (with the exception of the new A8). Volvo, meh. COMAND looks older than it is, and is much less intuitive. I can't speak to Caddy or Lincoln, but let's say I have my doubts.
check out the new A class Merc infotainment, the Panamera infotainment and the new A6 infotainment. Of the three the Merc is ahead the maps overlayed with front camera is sic! This is from their entry level car.

Start from 4:00
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:29 AM   #49
Cottonmouth
Ataraxic
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
check out the new A class Merc infotainment, the Panamera infotainment and the new A6 infotainment. Of the three the Merc is ahead the maps overlayed with front camera is sic! This is from their entry level car.

I stand corrected, mate. The augmented reality mapping is amazing. I still see signs of that "old" look I dislike about COMAND, but there's no denying that functionality. Thanks for sharing the video!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #50
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
The thing is that this system won't move into their other models for a few more years. I was reading an article about the new MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User eXperience) that basically said don't expect this to roll out into the E-Class and S-Class real soon, as Mercedes-Benz is rushing it into the new A-Class since that target demographic is the most tech-savvy and can help make it better before a widespread rollout.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #51
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I watched that video. I was intrigued by the looks (I do think the exterior is very nice)...

...and then wanted to vomit seeing that dash. I HATE the idea of just one, giant screen across the front. There's nothing physical at all now about the dials etc. Sure it gives them freedom to make everything look however they want, but IMO, it just doesn't even look like a car anymore. Just looks like some video game cockpit.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #52
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
...and then wanted to vomit seeing that dash. I HATE the idea of just one, giant screen across the front. There's nothing physical at all now about the dials etc. Sure it gives them freedom to make everything look however they want, but IMO, it just doesn't even look like a car anymore. Just looks like some video game cockpit.
Then you're going to hate iDrive 7.0 ....

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #53
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post

If its implemented the way the video shows, with the cockpit separate from the infotainment screen, then I'll like it. the problem I have is the merc has this one, extremely large (and gaudy imo) tablet stuck to their dash. there's no separation, and it doesn't even look like part of the dash at all imo. it's why I prefer the physical appearance of BMW over merc (and a few others). having a screen that's part of the dash is completely different than basically having an iPad glued to it. it's even worse some of them don't have touchscreens. it even looks like a tablet, but your natural reaction to touch is blocked.
Appreciate 2
shoptb176.00
      05-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #54
fxoffroad
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 X3/'18 i3s/'12 X5/'03 Z8

Ummm... Its not one continuous screen, did you watch the video you posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #55
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

The new Macan S facelift is released, same performance as the M40i. The Autogefuhl presenter says the M40i has less rear legroom than the Macan hmmm.... see from 17:00

Last edited by Bimar; 12-11-2018 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:18 AM   #56
lee_fr200
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I wouldn’t have the non s model with the golf gti variant of the engine that’s just stupid

For an extra 2k you get the v6 with over 100hp more and better resale!

Can’t understand why they didn’t give it the golf r variant of the engine as the gti variant is fine in the golf but not the macan
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:01 AM   #57
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
The new Macan S facelift is released, same performance as the M40i. The Autogefuhl presenter says the M40i has less rear legroom than the Macan hmmm.... see from 17:00
As soon as he put the key in the dashboard, I stopped watching. Look how old fashioned the instrument cluster is. Seems like a very lame facelift, especially as VW & Audi have all the latest tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 05:22 AM   #58
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

I like the Macan and we have been cross shopping it with the X3 30xi and Macan Base and maybe S and also a Q5 Prestige. It is for my wife, so she does not need a 40xi or really even Macan S and Turbo.

I think the Macan is still a head turner on the road and fit and finish are outstanding. Their tech is still way behind BMW and like other have said it is smaller in rear seats and trunk. It also is about 8k to 10k more than a similar X3. However, I think resale value is better in the long term and she likes to buy her cars.

Since Consumer Reports has dinged the X3 on reliability that worries us a bit, although by last two BMW's have been great, including my current G30, knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #59
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I would ignore what he says about leg room in the back - unless you are way past six foot with adults in the back. He mentions in his M40i review that he is 5ft 9 or 10in and yet when he sits in the back there is no way the driver seat is set for his height. You only have to look at other reviews - Matt - Carwow - for example to see somebody of a similar height and he has plenty of room in the back.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #60
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2101 View Post
I would ignore what he says about leg room in the back - unless you are way past six foot with adults in the back. He mentions in his M40i review that he is 5ft 9 or 10in and yet when he sits in the back there is no way the driver seat is set for his height. You only have to look at other reviews - Matt - Carwow - for example to see somebody of a similar height and he has plenty of room in the back.
I have to say given increase in size the X3 is tight at the back,almost lowest in its class, same goes for the new X5 which was disappointing
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #61
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have to say given increase in size the X3 is tight at the back, same goes for the new X5 which was disappointing
Really? I would disagree unless you are huge I found there is plenty of room.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #62
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

That screen on that A Class initially looked great.

Until I noticed the bezel, looks to be a good solid inch. Outdated on lanch, how disappointing
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #63
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am 6’3,200 pounds, however here is an independent view, dead last in its class in rear legroom Space.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #64
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am 6’3,200 pounds, however here is an independent view, dead last in its class in rear legroom Space.
I rest my case, your huge. Buy an X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #65
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Huge, really? X5 ain’t much bigger in the rear, wont be surprised if it’s also dead last in its class in rear space.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #66
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Huge, really? X5 ain't much bigger in the rear, wont be surprised if it's also dead last in its class in rear space.
All I'm trying to say is that for the majority there is plenty of room. I don't want anything bigger it suits my needs if it doesn't yours find something else.
Appreciate 0