BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

foot operated tailgate stopped working

Hi,

I mentioned this earlier in Canadian Orders thread.
It used to work like charm when I just picked up the car.
I gently kick in, tailgate opens. Simple and straight.
As time passed, it kind of started working on & off - sometimes it wouldn't respond to my 'kick' or 'swipe', and I would just stop trying in fear of looking stupid.
Starting last week, it just stopped responding to my kick. I thought it was probably me doing it wrong, or salt & snow & slush that may cover the sensor.

Yesterday it was very warm here and raining, and I also had a carwash (I know, it was raining, but it was 'unlimited' carwash pass, so would be a waste if I don't use it).
I came back home, tried again, no response. I tried all the possible motion for like 10 minutes, and also checked the under bumper, the entire bumper was super clean.

Then I did some research, and it looks like there are 2 parts of the sensor and both need to be active.
Does anyone here have any experience with having this issue? Unless it requires a new part, how long is the work?

The reason I'm asking is - the closest dealer is 0.5 hour drive one way, and they said 'we only do normal maintenance on Saturday'...meaning I will have to drive there on one of my workday.

They said they can't secure a loaner for me for the day I booked, and when I gave them my home address, they said that's too long for a shuttle ride.
So my last option is to stay in their 'lounge' and work from there, but certainly I would like to know the estimated work effort if it's matter of 'adjusting sensitivity on the sensor' or 'turning something on'.

Would be appreciated if anyone can give me a better idea on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

What does shuttle have to do with loaner?

It is a kick (mostly quick withdraw), not a swipe. Plenty of youtube videos on it.

Mine has always work. Did you do any vehicle modifications that might block sensor? Sometimes they do go back and need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
What does shuttle have to do with loaner?

It is a kick (mostly quick withdraw), not a swipe. Plenty of youtube videos on it.

Mine has always work. Did you do any vehicle modifications that might block sensor? Sometimes they do go back and need to be replaced.
So, there are usually 2 options that dealers offer when I leave my car for service:
1. offer a loaner vehicle - dealer said they don't have loaner available for that day
2. Dealer's shuttle vehicle give me a ride to a certain location, but it should be within their operation boundary. My home is obviously out of that boundary.

Yeah, I tried all the possible combinations of kicks too. I stayed close, stayed away, stepped away after kick, slow kick, fast kick, kick in and hold my leg, etc. No response at all.

I haven't done any modification, and there has been no physical impact on the car at all either. If it's actually a sensor failure, kind of disappointing that it's broken in like 3 weeks of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

LOL, stupid me.

This thread pretty much solved the issue:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=800187

It looks like I was either/both
1. too impatient - someone posted that I should wait for a few seconds, give the sensor some break, and try again. I obviously didn't do that and was nervous trying all the different kicks quickly one by one.

2. too close - I thought I was away enough from the car, but i gave one more small step back and voila, it works! I am not sure if this would be helpful for my wife though. She is not too short, but obviously much shorter than me and she may find it is too distant to make good and quick use of it.

3. unable to find the sweet spot - I am still learning it even after successes this evening. It looks like it works when I almost hit the lower bumper.
Even in this video it looks like the man is actually touching the body:

Anyway, it's great that I don't have to make the trip to the dealer next week, and glad that it's not broken!
But it surely needs some getting used to and adjustment if I really want to quickly use it with my two hands carrying grocery.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I couldn't get it to work at all at first. I thought it was just really buggy. Now it works every time. I basically aim my toe at the rear diffuser and stop just short of kicking it, like right on the bottom edge of the bumper. I think aiming your top of the foot to this location probably works as well, that seems to be what the video shows. Maybe it's just because it makes me stand farther back, I don't know.

Initially I was acting like I was trying to kick the muffler.

Last edited by sor; 01-12-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I couldn't get it to work at all at first. I thought it was just really buggy. Now it works every time. I basically aim my toe at the rear diffuser and stop just short of kicking it, like right on the bottom edge of the bumper. I think aiming your top of the foot to this location probably works as well, that seems to be what the video shows. Maybe it's just because it makes me stand farther back, I don't know.

Initially I was acting like I was trying to kick the muffler.
That seems to be working the best for me too..thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
Dzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp. xDrive

With my 2er, I just sweep my foot...and that works. I remember the salesman kicking and telling me «*in theory, that should work !*».
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Mine works with a kick or a swipe. Even if an extension cord gets moved under the rear bumper area, it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #9
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

After reading all this I’m glad I have the trailer hitch setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
After reading all this I’m glad I have the trailer hitch setup.
Because? Do a fair amount of hauling?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Because? Do a fair amount of hauling?
Lol - because unlike MB and Volvo, when you have the trailer hitch, you lose the kick to open feature, although apparently not so with the Stealth hitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Lol - because unlike MB and Volvo, when you have the trailer hitch, you lose the kick to open feature, although apparently not so with the Stealth hitch.
It all depends on whether sensor is blocked; this is common with non-OEM Diffusers on ///m vehicles.

Still does not address if you are frequently in need of a hitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #13
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I think he mentioned that he was glad he had the hitch because of the perceived inconsistent behavior of the foot sensor and also the mention of the extension cord activating the tailgate.

I never really had a problem with the foot sensor in my 2015 X3 but I opted to lose it in lieu of the hitch - not for hauling, but for a bike rack. Well, I guess that's hauling, too. I wish BMW was able to integrate the foot sensor with their hitch, but oh well. If the concern is that the tailgate will unintentionally open since you have stuff back there and might accidentally set it off when loading/unloading, then I understand. So
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #14
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

LOL. Ironically the hitch I use the most is the one welded to the top of the backfill blade on our mini-excavator at the lake. We are always hauling materials, campers or cargo trailers around (or near) the property with it (pivots on a dime). I think when my wife said she would like a hitch on the back of her new X3 it was just an impulse since we have hitch receivers on all the other vehicles. Not sure what we will use it for.

Since there is, obviously, already a key proximity sensor back there, and the worthy addition of hitch receiver disables the foot sensor, why not enable a rear external microphone (only when key is sensed) to take a voice command to open the door? Then we wouldn’t have to have one foot in the air while carrying items.

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 01-12-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #15
Yizu
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive M-Sport

We in the Netherlands have a different hitch than you in the US/Canada.

If I can recall correctly when I ordered my current F31 the SA explained that when the hitch is out the kick open it disabbled to avoid open by accident.

Didn’t order it on the X3 since our other car has one.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:22 AM   #16
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I think he mentioned that he was glad he had the hitch because of the perceived inconsistent behavior of the foot sensor and also the mention of the extension cord activating the tailgate.

I never really had a problem with the foot sensor in my 2015 X3 but I opted to lose it in lieu of the hitch - not for hauling, but for a bike rack. Well, I guess that's hauling, too. I wish BMW was able to integrate the foot sensor with their hitch, but oh well. If the concern is that the tailgate will unintentionally open since you have stuff back there and might accidentally set it off when loading/unloading, then I understand. So
I do not think they are related. And, inconsistent behavior is consistently user error.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Ironically the hitch I use the most is the one welded to the top of the backfill blade on our mini-excavator at the lake. We are always hauling materials, campers or cargo trailers around (or near) the property with it (pivots on a dime). I think when my wife said she would like a hitch on the back of her new X3 it was just an impulse since we have hitch receivers on all the other vehicles. Not sure what we will use it for.

Since there is, obviously, already a key proximity sensor back there, and the worthy addition of hitch receiver disables the foot sensor, why not enable a rear external microphone (only when key is sensed) to take a voice command to open the door? Then we wouldn’t have to have one foot in the air while carrying items.
Maybe I read incorrectly, but I do not think that is what was written.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #18
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I read incorrectly, but I do not think that is what was written.
I’m not following you Almaretto. What is that which was written?

Knowing my luck here in MN I would lift one foot to gesture the rear hatch open, and slip on the ice and land on my ass!

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 01-13-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Gudus16.50
      01-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #19
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I’m not following you Almsretto. What is that which was written?

Knowing my luck here in MN I would lift one foot to gesture the rear hatch open, and slip on the ice and land on my ass!
Check out official and unofficial BMW youtube videos.

It is simple action of placing foot under rear bumper (directly inferior to plate) and then withdrawing. Once understood, you will get 100% success.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #20
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I do not think they are related. And, inconsistent behavior is consistently user error.
I did not say I experienced this and in fact I haven't, but you asked what he meant and I answered what I thought he meant. Not sure why you are being a bit defensive with the foot sensor to be honest. People have different experiences with their real life use.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I did not say I experienced this and in fact I haven't, but you asked what he meant and I answered what I thought he meant. Not sure why you are being a bit defensive with the foot sensor to be honest. People have different experiences with their real life use.
No offense intended.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #22
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

I wonder if my sensor is up there and blocked our not installed because of the factory build order with the hitch?
Appreciate 0