BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
robbo78
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 SE

Question Daytime Driving Lights on Halogen Model? Bimmercode setting possibility?

Hi, I currently own a 2013 X3 (F25) with the standard halogen headlights and my gf owns a 2012 1 series (F20), also with standard halogen headlights. My gf's car however has daytime running lights and even though they aren't nice and white like xenons, I still like the idea of having them enabled on mine. So the other day I was having a gander through the idrive settings and quickly found an option for daytime driving lights, which I thought was the option I needed to enable them on mine.

Unfortunately after further testing I found that all this setting does is to basically turn on all of the lights regardless of if it's dark or not, number plate lights, dash lights, side lights, etc.. What is the point of this setting? If I wanted to turn all of my lights on then I would do it very quickly in the "old fashioned" way and just turn the knob to the low beam position. Obviously this isn't daytime running lights which I was after and after an inspection of my lights, they don't even have DRL bulbs.

I'm quite surprised that BMW decided to give a base model 1 series DRL's and not an x3 which costs a hell of a lot more?

Anyway I went ahead and purchased the bimmercode app with wifi dongle and had a play with it tonight, I have to say that I am very impressed with how it lets you personalise the car that bit more (some of the settings make me wonder why BMW themselves didn't just add them to the idrive as standard). I then found the DRL settings that you can change and noticed that they allow certain lights to be turned on without turning them all on which has got me thinking...

Is it possible to enter expert mode and code the daytime driving lights mode to only turn on the sidelights at full brightness and nothing else? Or even maybe just the low beams at full brightness and nothing else? Then I could just buy some nice and bright LED bulbs so that they don't burn out quick and use them as DRL's.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me, excuse the pun!

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 drive 2.0d

just stumbled across this thread.... very interesting ...

just downloaded the app, but there is also a bimmerlink?
what does the car have to have to use this app?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I can go into the idrive menu and turn them on or off on my 2013 X3 with halogen without any coding.

Last edited by Riick; 01-12-2018 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Cajun X3
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M Sport

Is it possible DRL is not enabled for the UK market?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 03:14 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun X3 View Post
Is it possible DRL is not enabled for the UK market?
They are enabled!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
X3ray
Rep
Drives: X3

I'm in the same boat, my 2014 X3 has the exact same issue, whenever you turn on the DRL in I drive, all the lights will be on! I bought the bimmercode app and managed to enable the sidelights only for DRL. However, they are not at the full brightness when they are used as DRL. I am still trying to figure out what other coding is needed to adjust the brightness. The developer has been looking into it, but it seems all the settings are for the real DRL( not the sidelights).

I'm so regretting that I didn't choose one with the xenon lights!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Truest1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 sdrive28i

Ive been trying to code the drls to use led bulbs. I keep getting an error. I tried bimmercode and Carly no success. Please help.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truest1 View Post
Ive been trying to code the drls to use led bulbs. I keep getting an error. I tried bimmercode and Carly no success. Please help.
Do those tools let you disable hot and cold bulb checks? If not, you'll probably have to use E-Sys and code to disable the bulb checks.
Appreciate 0