BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S now available in 20" staggered sizes for X3

Look what i found today...

Will be replacing my Pirelli runflats with these in due course.
Attached Images

'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 3
MechX3M40i1006.00
Rbrown2763.00
MarkyM381.50
      04-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
X5MSD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40i M Performance

I had to tell my insurance company
Make sure you check
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MSD View Post
I had to tell my insurance company
Make sure you check
Why would you tell your insurance company you're replacing your tyres!? :
Appreciate 1
deladude266.00
      04-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Mine came in yesterday, gonna mount them tomorrow morning
MarkyM381.50
      04-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Why would you tell your insurance company you're replacing your tyres!? :
Because you are deviating from the original (as supplied) vehicle specification, which, as I understand it, is run-flats, so insurance co. may possibly view change as a modification. Why give them an excuse to wiggle out of a claim!! .

It used to be the same for winter/summer tyre swaps, then the ABI prepared a document on whether you need to tell insurance co of winter tyres.

http://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/f...commitment.pdf

We bought a 3 year old Cooper S in 2015 which did not come on run flats - and we were not aware. It was just at the time (around autumn 2012) it became an option to fit runflats, as non-run flats became standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMan View Post
Because you are deviating from the original (as supplied) vehicle specification, which, as I understand it, is run-flats, so insurance co. may possibly view change as a modification. Why give them an excuse to wiggle out of a claim!! .

It used to be the same for winter/summer tyre swaps, then the ABI prepared a document on whether you need to tell insurance co of winter tyres.

http://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/f...commitment.pdf

We bought a 3 year old Cooper S in 2015 which did not come on run flats - and we were not aware. It was just at the time (around autumn 2012) it became an option to fit runflats, as non-run flats became standard.
You definitely do not need to tell your insurance company about changing from run flats to non run flats! As long as the new tyres are the correct size for the wheels and the correct speed and load rating that is all they are concerned about. Most people don’t even know what run flat tyres are!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
Very interested to hear how they are on the car.
Appreciate 1
Jayf30633.00
      04-22-2019, 04:48 AM   #8
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post

Out of interest, I'm assuming you don't need the SUV classed tyre for our cars?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 05:09 AM   #9
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post

Out of interest, I'm assuming you don't need the SUV classed tyre for our cars?
You can only use XL tyres on the X3, which have reinforced side walls, won't quite be as comfy as saloon tyres but should be better than run flats
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      04-22-2019, 05:13 AM   #10
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
Very interested to hear how they are on the car.
+1, Happy with ride on run flats but always that niggle that going this route will be better
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      04-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #11
X5MSD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40i M Performance

My insurance company AXA said if I change from run flats to normals
It was a mod
I can only comment on mine own experience
I would check just to be sure
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
Tokke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d Msport

So how are the Michelin tyres?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #13
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Quote:
You definitely do not need to tell your insurance company about changing from run flats to non run flats! As long as the new tyres are the correct size for the wheels and the correct speed and load rating that is all they are concerned about. Most people don’t even know what run flat tyres are!
That's not what Direct Line told me a couple of years ago. But then, maybe I got one of the new jobsworths....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's not what Direct Line told me a couple of years ago. But then, maybe I got one of the new jobsworths....
It's strange I've never heard of this before, but maybe some insurance companies have changes their policy on this. Quite glad my car came with non RFT's now!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

200 miles on the PS4S so far and great!

A couple things:

They are significantly quieter than oem Pirelli run flats so now I can really focus on my loud ass exhaust No but seriously, I didn't know the pirellis were that loud.

Noticeably more comfortable. When you're cruising, that's where you really notice it. High speeds feel a bit more stable as well.

I also like the side wall of the PS4S, they aren't as bubbly as the pirellis.

Haven't done any driving on windy roads yet but the few decent turns I've sent it on, definitely feel much more composed.
Rbrown2763.00
MechX3M40i1006.00
      04-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #16
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You definitely do not need to tell your insurance company about changing from run flats to non run flats! As long as the new tyres are the correct size for the wheels and the correct speed and load rating that is all they are concerned about. Most people don't even know what run flat tyres are!
It's strange I've never heard of this before, but maybe some insurance companies have changes their policy on this. Quite glad my car came with non RFT's now!
Out of interest what make of tyres do you get with the non-run flat high performance tyre option?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #17
Richierich32
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d in White

The x3 M40i / 40D can be specc'd with 'high performance tyres' which to my knowledge are the PS4S so it's a moot point.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MSD View Post
My insurance company AXA said if I change from run flats to normals
It was a mod
I can only comment on mine own experience
I would check just to be sure
How on earth it was classified as mod? Country (UK) were you can fit on a car all 4 tyres different make and model.
In all EU (easier than naming every one/) tyres on each axle (at least)need to be same model and make.
The sticker on car does not say what make/model or run-flat tyre need to be just size, speed and load index.
Insurers are just ripping off car owners.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #19
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You definitely do not need to tell your insurance company about changing from run flats to non run flats! As long as the new tyres are the correct size for the wheels and the correct speed and load rating that is all they are concerned about. Most people don't even know what run flat tyres are!
Out of interest what make of tyres do you get with the non-run flat high performance tyre option?
I don't know, sorry! I think teaston can answer that question.
      04-25-2019, 02:54 AM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pirelli P Zero PZ4 SC
Appreciate 1
MarkyM381.50
      04-25-2019, 03:49 AM   #21
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pirelli P Zero PZ4 SC
Many thanks, I wonder if there is any other suspension modification they do with that option other than supplying the mobility kit?

When I ordered it was a £720 option for non run flats (no MSport+ pack back then) but like for like rubber price would be similar if not slightly cheaper
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:08 AM   #22
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

You do have a level of discretion with what you tell an insurance company, it's all down a 'reasonable' interpretation of the policy wording. I am certain in a court of law a judge would rule that changing tyres would not be considered a 'modification' as far as a normal interpretation of that word in relation to vehicles - unless your policy specifically states that changing tyres is a modification. However, if you do tell them, they are permitted to increase your premium as a result of this information.

As a solid example of this, my father recently renewed his policy and was asked if he had any motoring convictions or fixed penalties since his last renewal. He (foolishly) said "no I didn't get a fixed penalty because I was permitted to so a Speed Awareness Course instead, do you need to tell you about that?". The girl on the phone said "you are not required to disclose non-penalty outcomes of being caught speeding, but as you have disclosed this, it will be recorded on our system and may be taken into account". His renewal went up £400 as a result. He pleaded with her to 'ignore' it but she said that isn't allowed since he has disclosed it and he ended up renewing at a much higher level.

When he told me about it I helped him get new quotes, making very sure to read the wording of the questions and policy carefully. As it wasn't specifically asked for in any of the quotation questions, we obtained the quote without disclosing the speed awareness course, and it was back at the level of the pre-disclosure premium (even with the same company).
Appreciate 0