BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #23
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMacht View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words! They are doing okay. I agree the car will likely be totaled. Now the search for a worthy replacement...

I was wondering this as well. They mentioned the gases from the airbag were very thick and smelled terrible - maybe the ventilation is to evacuate these gases.
Sounds plausible
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #24
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Amen, glad the BMW took the beating and saved their lives. So many people these days buy cars for vanity but forget to buy them for safety.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #25
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I'll add my well-wishes for your parents' and thankful to hear of BMW's excellent structure. It's a factor into my buying my fist X3 (2014 F25).

It's frustrating to hear of people running stop signs / lights. It happens far too often. It's gotten to the point that I pause and look both ways to spot any potential "runner" before I proceed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #26
CINCYFAN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 & G05

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the kind words! They are doing okay. I agree the car will likely be totaled. Now the search for a worthy replacement...

I was wondering this as well. They mentioned the gases from the airbag were very thick and smelled terrible - maybe the ventilation is to evacuate these gases.
This makes sense to me. We were in a very bad accident back in November which resulted in my purchasing a 2019 X3. Anyway, there was a burning/smoke smell in the car but no fire. We were told that it was the airbags...my wife and I coughed for hours (maybe a couple days?) afterwards.

Very glad your parents are ok. It's also clear that I made the right choice in replacing our totaled F30 w/ the G01.
​​​​​​​
Life is short, drive what you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #27
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Good to see they're OK and the car did its job protecting everyone, just for interest purposes this is what the cars are put through for EU NCAP testing.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #28
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

On the crash test at 1:54 - what triggers the hood to pop open? I understand the system is to cushion pedestrian head impacts, but how does the hood know when to pop open?

Is it via the front facing cameras?

Strange the car 'failed' the 40kmph pedestrian test in the open at 2:16, but passed it (by quite a clear margin) at 2:20 also at 40kmph when the pedestrian emerged from parked cars.

Also - the windows didn't open in the tests.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #29
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Glad to hear the folks are ok.
      04-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #30
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:

Ventilation is probably a part of it, both for the gases and if you're then trapped in your car and have to wait for emergency services. Obviously important if it's hot. I would assume it's also then easier to get into the car from the outside without having to break the window.

When I was in my Audi, I saw someone coming in hot behind me and have to slam on the brakes. When the car sensed it, the bells start going off, and the one thing I was most surprised by were the windows immediately starting to roll down. I couldn't help but wonder if, in that situation, it was to prevent the amount of glass that could break? Even if it's not super sharp, you certainly don't want it in your eyes...

Glad your parents are OK. And your description really does help put all of the minor things in perspective, so thanks for that.
Appreciate 0