BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #89
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog97 View Post
Sorry - forgot to add - I'm 6'2", 260 lbs, size 48L suit (= long torso, shortish legs). The Macan was a tight squeeze - much like a fighter jet cockpit - while the M40i is definitely MUCH roomier. Two friends of mine rode in the Macan with me to and from the Newport yacht show earlier this year, and both remarked at how small of a car it was, particularly for someone as large as me.

Back to the Macan vs. X3 - I forgot to mention that the technology in the M40i is current state of the art, while the Porsche technology in the current Macan seems, well, rather dated.
  • incredibly busy center console with loads of toggles, pushbuttons, etc. - everyone notices that. The reality of ownership: in my experience, once you've picked your climate settings, you only ever use like 1-2 of those buttons. It is going all glass with the new model, to mimic the current Panorama sedan and (I think) the new Cayenne
  • the PCM system for bluetooth, navigation, music, etc. is really old school (the interface, specifically) and sometimes slow. The nav system reminds me of the nav that was in my 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser
  • while it has some voice commands, like Mercedes it's just not as versatile and refined as the current BMW iDrive system
  • the backup camera takes a solid second or two to come on when you select reverse - gets more and more annoying as time goes on
  • you can't get the rear hatch to close from the fob - just not possible (standard on Mercedes, code-able on BMWs)
  • there is no such thing as consumer/non-dealer coding on Porsche
After quizzing two dealers, I finally found a third dealer who could turn shut off the annoying loud "beep beep beep" sound whenever the rear hatch opens and closes (sounds like a garbage or delivery truck backing up)...so that's a plus....
I had one extra question regarding 8AT vs PDK? I have yet to drive a PDK car but having owned a E92 M3 DCT I always felt the 8AT was a bit slow especially on downshifts in comparison. What is your feeling in regards to shift responsiveness, more so assuming Manual or Sport+ modes vs the PDK? This was one area that was slightly having me keep an eye on maybe a 2020 GTS if they are available but it seems like the M40i has the superior drivetrain all around from most comments.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #90
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
I had one extra question regarding 8AT vs PDK? I have yet to drive a PDK car but having owned a E92 M3 DCT I always felt the 8AT was a bit slow especially on downshifts in comparison. What is your feeling in regards to shift responsiveness, more so assuming Manual or Sport+ modes vs the PDK? This was one area that was slightly having me keep an eye on maybe a 2020 GTS if they are available but it seems like the M40i has the superior drivetrain all around from most comments.
I guess I'd give a "horses for courses"-type answer on this one. 2 caveats first: these are my first personal experiences with the ZF 8AT (in the BMW) and the PDK (in the Porsche), and I only have about 1k miles and 6k miles on each, respectively, none on a racetrack. With that said, I'd say the PDK feels very snappy and responsive, both up and down, especially when the car was in "Sport" mode. Awesome when on the highway, going up the on-ramp and having fun from 20->65+ (ahem). Also awesome when popping downshifts to pass, and rev matching downshifts all the way down exit ramps from highway speeds. I was really impressed with the responsiveness. It felt super-crisp, and well tuned.

However, the "hole" from a dead or slow-rolling start that I mentioned before in around-town driving sucked away all of the fun factor, more and more as time wore on. Again, I think it's the combination of the engine mapping, e-gas mapping and PDK all together, but to me it was a poor tradeoff for my intended use. Maybe on a track I might prefer the bias of the Porsche system, but for a street car (really a street small SUV), I far prefer the 8AT + BMW mapping in the M40i.

I haven't really spent much time in Sport+ with the BMW, as Sport seems more than fine for my driving. (Except one day, accidentally, when I was actually in Sport+ but didn't know it...I thought the car had gone insane, hanging out at 3100 rpm all over the place.) Also crisp, but more snappy off the line, perhaps a little different overall feel than the Macan. Upshifts in the BMW don't feel like F1-style "banging up a gear", unless you're pretty hard on it...maybe the Porsche has a bit more of that feel. Zero issues with power or torque delivery that I've encountered. Overall it feels stronger off the line than the Macan S, but 355 peak HP vs. 340 in the Macan is only part of the story here.

I still have ASD turned on on the X3, but am considering coding it off. I had it coded off on my M3 and didn't miss it at all. Definitely a more visceral exhaust sound/sensation from the Macan though, with or without ASD.

Hope this is helpful.

/in before people start chiming in with "go drive them both and decide for yourself"....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #91
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog97 View Post
I guess I'd give a "horses for courses"-type answer on this one. 2 caveats first: these are my first personal experiences with the ZF 8AT (in the BMW) and the PDK (in the Porsche), and I only have about 1k miles and 6k miles on each, respectively, none on a racetrack. With that said, I'd say the PDK feels very snappy and responsive, both up and down, especially when the car was in "Sport" mode. Awesome when on the highway, going up the on-ramp and having fun from 20->65+ (ahem). Also awesome when popping downshifts to pass, and rev matching downshifts all the way down exit ramps from highway speeds. I was really impressed with the responsiveness. It felt super-crisp, and well tuned.

However, the "hole" from a dead or slow-rolling start that I mentioned before in around-town driving sucked away all of the fun factor, more and more as time wore on. Again, I think it's the combination of the engine mapping, e-gas mapping and PDK all together, but to me it was a poor tradeoff for my intended use. Maybe on a track I might prefer the bias of the Porsche system, but for a street car (really a street small SUV), I far prefer the 8AT + BMW mapping in the M40i.

I haven't really spent much time in Sport+ with the BMW, as Sport seems more than fine for my driving. (Except one day, accidentally, when I was actually in Sport+ but didn't know it...I thought the car had gone insane, hanging out at 3100 rpm all over the place.) Also crisp, but more snappy off the line, perhaps a little different overall feel than the Macan. Upshifts in the BMW don't feel like F1-style "banging up a gear", unless you're pretty hard on it...maybe the Porsche has a bit more of that feel. Zero issues with power or torque delivery that I've encountered. Overall it feels stronger off the line than the Macan S, but 355 peak HP vs. 340 in the Macan is only part of the story here.

I still have ASD turned on on the X3, but am considering coding it off. I had it coded off on my M3 and didn't miss it at all. Definitely a more visceral exhaust sound/sensation from the Macan though, with or without ASD.

Hope this is helpful.

/in before people start chiming in with "go drive them both and decide for yourself"....
Thank you for the great response, that is extremely helpful and I think mirrors my thoughts as well in regards to the 8AT vs DCT/PDK. Side note - having owned a MK7 Golf R with DSG I think VW/Audi/Porsche all have an inherent lag from takeoff with their AWD models. My only guess they program this in to save clutch wear or trying to emulate an AT torque converter. I found it downright hideous and was the reason I sold my Golf R for the most part. I find the 8AT to be better than the DSG in every facet and close to the DCT accept for downshift response - I wish it had a more crisp downshift especially in manual mode where you select a shift from say 6th -> 4th and there is a delay between gears.

In regards to driving the Macan, unfortunately we have one Porsche dealership that I know of in Western WA and they are a bit snobby to say the least...it's quite staggering to witness the difference in help you receive if you drive up in my BMW or say my wife's Mazda CX5.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 01:49 AM   #92
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
By the time the refreshed Macan GTS hits the US, the 2020 X3 M40i will be coming out shortly after with the upgraded B58 (similar engine as the 2020 M340i.) and 385 HP.

The beauty of the X3 M40i is that it has the performance, tech and the utility to making it IMO, the best all around SAV in class.
Is the power bump confirmed on the M40i?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #93
mavg
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
It is? People are generally raving about it. If build quality is poor then that's really putting down older models.

There are problems that bump up on forums, that's common and it isn't easy to get an accurate view of a car's quality from a forum. Almost all forums are at least 50% "I've got this problem".
I have to half agree - love the new msport wheel (had previously a X3 35d, a X5 40d, a X5 35d, X5 25d and X5 40e) but one thing i can't get used to is the hard seats on the X3....just can't understand why. The rest of the car is lovely, and I don't mind the finish, but not sure why the seats are sub-par (imo) agains the GLC, Macan and other competitors...not sure i would handle 10+ hours drive on one of them
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #94
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Just o chime in, key things of the Macan facelift
1) Turbo lag from start non existent with new V6 engine from the Cayenne
2) New Porsche PCM from Cayenne as good as idrive
3) PDK it is what it is
4) Selectable Locking differentials if that’s your thing
5) Seat and fit and finish have always been next level
6) Most tech updated, no HUD
7) Handles even better with newer tweaks, more bump compliant
8). Interior Space No change

Edit: love Motorman Geeky reviews and covers the bases well..

Last edited by Bimar; 12-15-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #95
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Is the power bump confirmed on the M40i?
It has been discussed in this thread. The information is not official but extremely accurate.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686

From thread:

May 2018
G01/G02 are confirmed for engine upgrades for MY2020. 30i remains at 248hp, M40i gets a bump to 385hp.

Basically the same engine as the newly released M340i X-Drive. The engine that should have been released in the X3 M40i at launch but held back as to not mess with BMW hierarchy and the current G05 50i. When the G05 M50i is released, the additional 30 HP in X3 M40i won't matter to that monster. IMO of course.

The Macan GTS is arguably the best overall performer in class but the lack of utility scratches it off my list.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      12-29-2018, 02:04 AM   #96
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
It has been discussed in this thread. The information is not official but extremely accurate.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686

From thread:

May 2018
G01/G02 are confirmed for engine upgrades for MY2020. 30i remains at 248hp, M40i gets a bump to 385hp.

Basically the same engine as the newly released M340i X-Drive. The engine that should have been released in the X3 M40i at launch but held back as to not mess with BMW hierarchy and the current G05 50i. When the G05 M50i is released, the additional 30 HP in X3 M40i won't matter to that monster. IMO of course.

The Macan GTS is arguably the best overall performer in class but the lack of utility scratches it off my list.
Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #97
coupegt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 328xi

We test drove the Macan S, SQ5 and the X3 M.
I believe the Macan S has slightly better steering, SQ5 has better fit and finish, X3 M40 has a better engine and exhaust. The X3 also has a better acceleration. And that Exhaust sound.......
In the end we decided on the X3 M40i due to the engine and slightly bigger interior space over the Macan S
Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      04-22-2019, 03:30 AM   #98
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupegt View Post
We test drove the Macan S, SQ5 and the X3 M.
I believe the Macan S has slightly better steering, SQ5 has better fit and finish, X3 M40 has a better engine and exhaust. The X3 also has a better acceleration. And that Exhaust sound.......
In the end we decided on the X3 M40i due to the engine and slightly bigger interior space over the Macan S
You drove the facelift Macan?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #99
coupegt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
You drove the facelift Macan?
Yes, we test drove the 19 Macan S
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #100
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupegt View Post
Yes, we test drove the 19 Macan S
How was the M40i ride quality vs the macans
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #101
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m40i Individual 2022

When I bought my X3 30i individual luxury line, I drove almost every SUV we can find in Europe. Porsche Macan (non S) was in the list.

Long story short, I didn't like it at all. It was like VW 2.0 GTI but heavier. As mention previously space is very precious in this car, there's any...
Infotainment is a step up comparing to previous model but I didn't like it either. X3 is way better an friendly.

My different criteria to choose my car was:
- driven experience
- size inside (example: xc60, body is bigger but you'll get less space inside)
- infotainment
- and design

BMW X3 is not the best in every category but when you sum up all those criteria's BMW does everything very well.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0