BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-24-2024, 08:27 PM   #1
sparklybeam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Exclamation Buying Used BMW's (X3)

Hi ! I recently had an issue with my 2011 X3 and I am looking at selling this one after I have it fixed and purchasing another one, I originally got my X3 from a family friend who doesn't have connections for another X3 right now. What are the most reliable sites to search for used BMW's on, and specifically X3's? How much should I trust Carvana and Carfax? Additionally, what are some red flags to look for when searching for a used BMW.

Any input is appreciated, thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:54 PM   #2
gphin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive30i, 2021 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklybeam View Post
Hi ! I recently had an issue with my 2011 X3 and I am looking at selling this one after I have it fixed and purchasing another one, I originally got my X3 from a family friend who doesn't have connections for another X3 right now. What are the most reliable sites to search for used BMW's on, and specifically X3's? How much should I trust Carvana and Carfax? Additionally, what are some red flags to look for when searching for a used BMW.

Any input is appreciated, thank you so much!
I used Cars.com and Autotrader to find my recently purchased '21 M40. With any year/model X3, make sure you confirm it's ownership and service history through available service records and a Carfax report.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:26 PM   #3
bathboi
Rep
Drives: 335D

I use cargurus and edmunds mainly. I HIGHLY recommend bringing a laptop with ISTA installed, I always check faults (a given) and I always check the Check control message history. Checking the history of control messages allows you a glimpse into the history of the car that someone else cannot clear. If I do not see any recent serious messages that is a good sign, if I see ZERO faults and a recent serious check control message I walk away. EDIT: wanted to add that some faults there is better than zero imo, lets you know they didnt clear them too recently and all BMW's will store some faults. Ideally they all have a fault frequency of one and are not currently present.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:30 AM   #4
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
I used CarGurus almost explicitly just for ease. I brought my Autel MK808TS to scan for faults, didn't have my laptop with ISTA set up at the time.
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:28 AM   #5
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

I'd personally look at the history and make sure it passes my 'sniff test' before I put it down on my shortlist. I also tend to avoid too-good-to-be-true listed prices esp if it's from an independent dealership.

Also buying from a non-BMW dealership is usually cheaper but I try to 'read between the lines' like a BMW traded in a Lexus dealership (not from auction) may be more likely the owner switched to a Lexus model (possibly due to being tired of the issues he had?). Conversely, a BMW traded in a Porsche dealership can possibly mean the owner did an upgrade (I've seen many BMWs, and other cars for that matter, traded in our local Porsche dealerships having majority, if not all, of the options checked and properly taken care of). Again, these are just what I've seen in our area and I'm in no way suggesting that this is always true. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:29 PM   #6
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
Also buying from a non-BMW dealership is usually cheaper but I try to 'read between the lines' like a BMW traded in a Lexus dealership (not from auction) may be more likely the owner switched to a Lexus model (possibly due to being tired of the issues he had?). Conversely, a BMW traded in a Porsche dealership can possibly mean the owner did an upgrade (I've seen many BMWs, and other cars for that matter, traded in our local Porsche dealerships having majority, if not all, of the options checked and properly taken care of)...
We got one from a Mercedes dealer, and the other from an Alfa Romeo. The first I think was lease turn in, the 2nd was a dealer purchase by the finance guy.
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 1