BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #1299
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
Is it possible to code ‘high beam assist’ to be ‘on’ when starting the car?
No
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:44 AM   #1300
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

After an early incident of the rear hatch opening unexpectedly, I had a BMW dealer recode, so that the rear hatch would open only after unlocking the car. The dealer who sold me the car wouldn’t do it, but another local dealer did. Free, but it took quite a long time while I waited (with an appointment). I have bought multiple BMWs from both dealers in the past.

I then bought OBDLink MX+ (from Amazon, $50 after discounts) and updated the firmware. Got OBDLink for Android and BimmerCode, now in a new version 1.26.0-4641.

So far, I have used BimmerCode to make these changes:

Active Sound Design Module: -> Deactivate. [I don’t want any artificial sound played through the sound system, but I do see that the Expert mode does offer some ways to tweak the sounds played, for those who might find that interesting.]

Advanced Crash Safety Module: Seat Belt Reminder for Driver’s Seat: -> not active.

Air Conditioning Module: A/C in Auto mode -> not active. [Where I live, hot outside air is usually not humid and outside air is often exactly what I want more of, with some warming when appropriate. If it’s too cold out, adjusting the temperature knob does the job without A/C. If needed, I can manually press the A/C button, as has always been the case.
I might consider coding off something about air conditioning set in memory, assuming that means that on the next start the setting saved in my driver profile loads, instead of the possibly atypical setting used just before shutdown.

Body Domain Control Module:
Default Driving Mode > Sport Individual. In my case, all Sport except transmission; for my wife’s profile, Sport Individual is all Comfort mode. Note that these can of course be changed from time to time in iDrive and separately for each profile.

Lighting: Rain-Light-Sensor Sensitivity: -> normal (changed from OEM: sensitive??). I haven’t decided yet what setting I prefer, but at least at first I was often mystified as to when it would wipe. Also, not very happy with the limited effectiveness of varying this with the rollbar.

Window cleaning: Wipe cycles after rear window washing: ->2 (down from default 3)

Camera-Based Driver Assistance Module: Lane departure Warning Activation Speed. Note that in OEM (“unassigned”) my little green icon (skidding car?) on the upper left comes on at indicated 39 MPH/62,7KPH, probably about 36 MPH true road speed. I tried coding a change to 55kpm/34MPH, but then the green symbol didn’t come on at any speed, so I undid the change. I might try some of the other options (60kpm and 70kpm) to see what happens. In any case, once the little green icon comes on, it doesn’t turn off until speed is reduced to at least a few MPH less than the activation speed. Further, I’m still in the dark about the relationship between that icon and the icon (sort of the upper half of a steering wheel?) in the lower center of the instrument panel and the colors of the slanted lines on both sided of it.

Engine Control Unit: Auto Start/Stop Function Memory -> active. This means that the default is the last used setting. It’s somewhat redundant for me, as I coded default driving mode to Sport Individual)

Head Unit:
Audio: Max volume at startup -> 40%. [On my previous X3, the problem was not the maximum but the minimum! That is, on start I could never tell whether the sound system was off or just set to such a low setting that nothing could be heard. So, I’m keeping an eye on this issue.]

Display Options: iDrive System:
Volume PopUp -> off
Display Full Text Messages -> on. Haven’t tried that yet, as I think there’s an issue working with my Android phone and it’s default Message app Signal.
Video -> turn on three different options. Haven’t tried this yet.

I would like to be able to dramatically shorten the time that there is a popup indicating a change in driving mode. I recall seeing a setting somewhere to kill it entirely, perhaps in iDrive.
Edit: I have now turned off this overly-long popup. Pressing the sport drive mode button lets me toggle among Sport, Sport Plus and Sport Individual. But, if I wanted to reconfigure the settings in Sport Individual, I would have to dive into iDrive to do so, I think.

Warning at Start Up: -> not active.
Camera Warning -> not active.

Instrument Cluster:

Display Option Instrument Cluster: Digital Speed in Board Computer ->active

Expert Mode: 3000 Anzeige: BC_V_KORREKTUR->ohne korrektur. I think I have tried this in both positions without getting the result I was hoping for, which is a speedometer reading that is closer to true, GPS, actual highway speed, rather that being about 3-4 MPH, or about 5%, too high. Anybody have Expert mode changes that would help here?

Power Tailgate Module: My current settings (in addition to the dealer recoding) are:
Puah button on driver door = open
Pull button on driver door = close
Button on key fob: open & close
Close requires long press

Roof Function:
Alarm System alarm -> Europe. I haven’t heard this happen yet, but I figured that it might as well not sound like every other US alarm. And it is a European car (even if manufactured in South Carolina)!

Edit: See later post May 11, 2019, below: A little DYI Expert coding made at least partial progress in adding a language beyond English, Spanish and (Canadian) French to the very limited US car choices in My Vehicle, iDrive, language.

This post is in response to “Share your coding changes”. Your comments and suggestions are of course welcome, not that we all have the same preferences and priorities. I plan to start another thread soon with my wish list for coding changes that might be possible in the future or in Expert mode now. in the meantime, the BimmerCode app, in demo mode, suggests an option to fold the outside mirrors upon comfort mode closing. (I can’t use a]the iDrive choice that also unfold the mirrors upon opening, due to the width of my home garage door opening.) It also hints at changing ACC distance default (e.g., from 4 to 3), but I couldn't find how to do that. Also, possibly door lights on when shifted into reverse?

Last edited by Eulenspiegel; 05-12-2019 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 5
GoCubs37.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
JustChris17545.50
hotelj10.00
      04-30-2019, 06:41 AM   #1301
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulenspiegel View Post
I would like to be able to dramatically shorten the time that there is a popup indicating a change in driving mode. I recall seeing a setting somewhere to kill it entirely, perhaps in iDrive.
Yes, you can disable to popup in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:37 AM   #1302
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

So, finally back in the UK and managed to code a few things.

1. Disabled ASD
2. Changed to tones to Rolls Royce (using expert mode)
3. Start-up in Adaptive Mode
4. Using Bimmerlink, turned the flaps off, and so far they are remaining open.
5. Set the ambient colour to Magenta Red

A couple of odd things:

Doors unlocking had changed to just drivers door, and mirror folding was only on a long press. Both changed easily enough.

Also, going into expert mode on ASD, and the engine choice was not the B58. Didn't change anything just in case.
      04-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #1303
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonhead View Post
So, finally back in the UK and managed to code a few things.

1. Disabled ASD
2. Changed to tones to Rolls Royce (using expert mode)
3. Start-up in Adaptive Mode
4. Using Bimmerlink, turned the flaps off, and so far they are remaining open.
5. Set the ambient colour to Magenta Red

A couple of odd things:

Doors unlocking had changed to just drivers door, and mirror folding was only on a long press. Both changed easily enough.

Also, going into expert mode on ASD, and the engine choice was not the B58. Didn't change anything just in case.
It is normal for some settings to reset after coding a module, for example coding the head unit will erase your shortcut buttons etc.

I save my profile to USB before coding so I can restore from it afterwards and quickly get all my settings back (although the one thing it doesn’t restore is the shortcut buttons).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #1304
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It is normal for some settings to reset after coding a module, for example coding the head unit will erase your shortcut buttons etc.

I save my profile to USB before coding so I can restore from it afterwards and quickly get all my settings back (although the one thing it doesn’t restore is the shortcut buttons).
Thanks Teaston for this tip. It saved me from having to reprogram my shortcut buttons (they were stored in my driver profile, not sure why that didn't work for you) and the side-view mirror settings were saved too!
Appreciate 1
teaston10998.00
      04-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #1305
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Thanks Teaston for this tip. It saved me from having to reprogram my shortcut buttons (they were stored in my driver profile, not sure why that didn't work for you) and the side-view mirror settings were saved too!
They only disappear if you code the HU_NBT2 module, did you code it?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #1306
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
They only disappear if you code the HU_NBT2 module, did you code it?
Which module is that (sorry, I don't know what all of the modules are)?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #1307
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Which module is that (sorry, I don't know what all of the modules are)?
The head unit, for coding things like sports displays, checkbox’s, tire pressure control etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #1308
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
The head unit, for coding things like sports displays, checkbox’s, tire pressure control etc.
I was definitely in the head unit. I changed the Sport displays color, video in motion-codecs-USB, max volume at startup and start animation = M.

My presets and my side-mirror settings were not saved after I did the coding. However, when I re-loaded my driver profile via USB (per your advice) it restored all of my presets and the mirror settings. I was quite pleased!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:19 PM   #1309
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I was definitely in the head unit. I changed the Sport displays color, video in motion-codecs-USB, max volume at startup and start animation = M.

My presets and my side-mirror settings were not saved after I did the coding. However, when I re-loaded my driver profile via USB (per your advice) it restored all of my presets and the mirror settings. I was quite pleased!
Strange, wonder why mine doesn’t back up my shortcuts!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #1310
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Could it be because your vehicle is a European build (mine is a US build)?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #1311
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
I backup my profile online, and the shortcuts that were lost during coding were on the backup, and worked once I reloaded the profile.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #1312
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
Quote:
I backup my profile online, and the shortcuts that were lost during coding were on the backup, and worked once I reloaded the profile.
Maybe I'll try doing it online then.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #1313
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I been reading this over and over again and thinking pull the trigger to buy the adapter,
Before I do so, I put together a list of items I want to code.

Anyone know can I do all of those with Bimmer code?
Is there any item on the list that require going into expert model?

1). Remove iDrive legal disclaimer
2). Remove legal disclaimer for cameras
3). Start animation change to M animation
4). Volume at startup 30%
5). Enable Video in Motion
6). ASS remember last selection
7). Start the car in Sport individual mode
8). Allow High Beams and Fog lights to be used at the same time
9). iDrive Display to old model, which allow manually adjust brightness (this is to get around my fading issue after tint)
      05-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #1314
marcati
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
I been reading this over and over again and thinking pull the trigger to buy the adapter,

9). iDrive Display to old model, which allow manually adjust brightness (this is to get around my fading issue after tint)
1-7 I've done and its very easy. 8, I believe you need expert mode. 9, I know nothing about this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #1315
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post

Just buy it already!

As above, yes, 1-7 can easily be done with 8 being done using expert mode as someone has posted on here how to do it. The last one I'm not sure if they would be possible at all.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #1316
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Just ordered the OBDLink MX+ from Amazon

I was trying to avoid coding so I got the cable to disable Active Sound.
Now because of all other reason, i will do coding, and wasted money on that cable
      05-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #1317
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Sorry if this has been covered before. I've been contemplating coding but hesitant as this would be my first time attempting it (newbie).

From browsing this thread here and there it seems pretty straight forward using bimmercode in the standard mode.

My question is if there is a "cheat sheet" or list of the coding changes that can be done? Any explanation as to what changes each performs?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #1318
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfracfrank View Post
Sorry if this has been covered before. I've been contemplating coding but hesitant as this would be my first time attempting it (newbie).

From browsing this thread here and there it seems pretty straight forward using bimmercode in the standard mode.

My question is if there is a "cheat sheet" or list of the coding changes that can be done? Any explanation as to what changes each performs?
Could not be easier, if you can use a smartphone, you can use Bimmercode.

Full list of possible changes on their site:

https://www.bimmercode.app/cars/g01/
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #1319
BigJake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i

I changed to the Alpina dash but I don't think I noticed any changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #1320
GoCubs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X4 M40i

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the three dings when you start the engine if the driver's seatbelt is undone? I find them really annoying.

In BimmerCode I disabled the one driver seatbelt option thinking that would do it and unfortunately it did not. However it did disable the warnings if I remove the driver seatbelt while driving.
Appreciate 0