BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2024, 04:47 AM   #1
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Help - UK service support (HK speak replace / sunroof)

So as brief as poss.

Had car in for service. Asked about sunroof rattle (again) they could diagnose.

Just had a call from service dept. In investigating the sunroof rattle which they could not find they thought they heard a rattle from door (which I've never hear). They discovered "aftermarket speakers installed" which (unfortunately for thee bloody focals) had to drill in a hole to get the cables in. I let the chap roll on and he postulated whoever fitted the speakers may have interfered with the sunroof for the cabling thus they cannot now proceed to investigate the sunroof.

Net net - for the investigation on the door (which I never had a problem with and didn't ask for) they will charge me a couple of hours labour and now not be able to look at sunroof. I then noted that I'd done the speakers (quite well IMHO), didn't have an issue with or request the investigation on the door and it has f-all to do with the sunroof. Thus I refuse to pay.

Anyone else had such similar issues (and before you start avi66 - don't come with your " I told you so invalidating warranty" ;-). LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 04:53 AM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
So as brief as poss.

Had car in for service. Asked about sunroof rattle (again) they could diagnose.

Just had a call from service dept. In investigating the sunroof rattle which they could not find they thought they heard a rattle from door (which I've never hear). They discovered "aftermarket speakers installed" which (unfortunately for thee bloody focals) had to drill in a hole to get the cables in. I let the chap roll on and he postulated whoever fitted the speakers may have interfered with the sunroof for the cabling thus they cannot now proceed to investigate the sunroof.

Net net - for the investigation on the door (which I never had a problem with and didn't ask for) they will charge me a couple of hours labour and now not be able to look at sunroof. I then noted that I'd done the speakers (quite well IMHO), didn't have an issue with or request the investigation on the door and it has f-all to do with the sunroof. Thus I refuse to pay.

Anyone else had such similar issues (and before you start avi66 - don't come with your " I told you so invalidating warranty" ;-). LOL
Did you sign anything when you took the car in for investigation ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:58 AM   #3
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Nope - and to re-iterate I asked specifically about the sunroof and NOT the doors (which I never had an issue with to be honest - just the roof :-).

I'll update later when I get car back (unless they hold it to ransom ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:18 AM   #4
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Nope - and to re-iterate I asked specifically about the sunroof and NOT the doors (which I never had an issue with to be honest - just the roof :-).

I'll update later when I get car back (unless they hold it to ransom ;-)
I hear what you’re saying, but I suspect there are many instances from the dealers perspective of the customer reporting noise coming from point A, that turns out to be coming from somewhere different, hence why they may look in other places.

If you didn’t sign anything when dropping the car at the dealer for service/investigation, and didn’t receive any information from the dealer about possible charges relating to warranty investigation, I think you are within your rights to refuse payment. When I’ve taken my cars to BMW, I had to sign a form before they do anything.

You could make a case that the roof was not affected by changing speakers, given you did the work, or just try another dealer.
Appreciate 0