BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2023, 09:00 AM   #1
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M40D

UK EGR Cooler Recall

Since getting the letter advising that this cooler and its consequences of failure are warranted for 15 years and that a program of replacement is underway, has anyone actually had a replacement or cause to have their system tested?

I just wonder how many years I will be waiting until the replacement. My reading of the letter is that coolers will be replaced regardless of not having any symptoms due to it being possibly a latent defect.

Last edited by SORA MONKEY; 11-21-2023 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Hello

I recieved the letter (Aug 2023) but no further conatct... yet.

I had the EGR software re-call/tweak last year (Dec 2022) and fingers crossed it's so far so good.

J.
2007 - Vauxhall Corsa CDTi
2004 - Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:35 AM   #3
The.bands
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D Msport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SORA MONKEY View Post
Since getting the letter advising that this cooler and its consequences of failure are warranted for 15 years and that a program of replacement is underway, has anyone actually had a replacement or cause to have their system tested?

I just wonder how many years I will be waiting until the replacement. My reading of the letter is that coolers will be replaced regardless of not having any symptoms due to it being possibly a latent defect.
Was mentioned when mine was in garage a few days ago. They checked cooler and said it was fine but that I would receive a recall anyway when parts became available. I guess they are going to prioritise anyone who actually has a leak first.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 11:25 AM   #4
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.bands View Post
Was mentioned when mine was in garage a few days ago. They checked cooler and said it was fine but that I would receive a recall anyway when parts became available. I guess they are going to prioritise anyone who actually has a leak first.
Thanks for the info both so far, btw what actually did they check when they inspected, is it visual or making use of the software they installed?

I am less concerned these days, I lost 700 ml of Coolant in 3 years and since has been fairly steady with small decrease 1cm reservoir depth over the last year.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #5
The.bands
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D Msport+

Quote:
Thanks for the info both so far, btw what actually did they check when they inspected, is it visual or making use of the software they installed?

I am less concerned these days, I lost 700 ml of Coolant in 3 years and since has been fairly steady with small decrease 1cm reservoir depth over the last year.
Physical inspection as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 01:12 PM   #6
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
First I e heard of a recall. Is this for pre LCI’s?
      11-23-2023, 01:34 AM   #7
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun170 View Post
First I e heard of a recall. Is this for pre LCI’s?
Mine is a 2019, but be aware that BMW has a horrible history with various components of EGR. So expect a letter in a few years
Appreciate 1
Shaun1701085.50
      04-28-2024, 11:03 AM   #8
octaviann
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

2018 x3

My BMW already has an amber engine check light on dashboard, when accelerating one can clearly hear the intake manifold making a shooshing sound and lately i see myself in the position to refill the coolant at least once a month. I took the car to Synter ( upgrade sotware done ) and out the door.... they said that i need to wait for Bmw to send the parts. i do not know about other Bmw owners but I cannot wait months or years fot Bmw to send the parts so I am going to search for all ways to try and fix this problem with this last recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 12:44 PM   #9
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Well you need a new Egr cooler that does not leak your coolant into the inlet manifold. Did the dealer confirm the issue using the software mod or otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 03:32 PM   #10
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

I got a letter about 6 months ago for my mid 2018 x3m40D and i got a reminder in Feb 24 , but no contact.
I dropped into my dealer a month ago and asked about the recall and that i had heard nothing, but had 2 letters - the service advisor checked the reg and they booked me in for a replacement - being done next Friday, 10th May
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:39 PM   #11
octaviann
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Well you need a new Egr cooler that does not leak your coolant into the inlet manifold. Did the dealer confirm the issue using the software mod or otherwise?

2 visits in Synter. One in Leicester and one in Warwick. They did just the software update and out the door with me. Bmw UK are a shame for the brand. Going to a solicitor this days and open a lawsuit against them and Synter.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:41 PM   #12
octaviann
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I got a letter about 6 months ago for my mid 2018 x3m40D and i got a reminder in Feb 24 , but no contact.
I dropped into my dealer a month ago and asked about the recall and that i had heard nothing, but had 2 letters - the service advisor checked the reg and they booked me in for a replacement - being done next Friday, 10th May
I have 2 letters as well but Synter Uk (Bmw oficial partner) said I need to wait for the parts to be released by Bmw. When asked how long will that take they said there is no time frame so could be 1 month or 1 year……😔
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 02:22 AM   #13
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

octaviann I have the two letters and asked when looking at service costs at my local dealer and the status was basically wait until contacted as awaiting parts.

I don’t have much of an issue however, I would contact bmw uk as the letter talks about if you have symptoms contact your dealer for a check. That’s why I ask if they have confirmed it’s your cooler and how they did that. A check seems pointless if as you suggest they have confirmed it’s the Egr, you have lots of symptoms but they still can’t fix.

Ultimately this was supposed to be a fire risk so depending on what they said I would be quite worried. Givens others responses it seems parts supply is dealer specific.

Last edited by SORA MONKEY; 04-30-2024 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:02 AM   #14
octaviann
Registered
Rep

Quote:
octaviann I have the two letters and asked when looking at service costs at my local dealer and the status was basically wait until contacted as awaiting parts.

I don’t have much of an issue however, I would contact bmw uk as the letter talks about if you have symptoms contact your dealer for a check. That’s why I ask if they have confirmed it’s your cooler and how they did that. A check seems pointless if as you suggest they have confirmed it’s the Egr, you have lots of symptoms but they still can’t fix.

Ultimately this was supposed to be a fire risk so depending on what they said I would be quite worried. Givens others responses it seems parts supply is dealer specific.

This is the last email i got from Synter :

“ Thanks for your time today.

I am really sorry to hear about your poor experience after visiting us here at Sytner Warwick.

It was nice to talk to you and discuss the errors that happened during the visit as this will certainly allow us to improve going forward.

Please accept my apologies once again that this has happened and also on behalf of BMW for the way that it was handled during your conversation with customer services.

As discussed, I will be in touch when your car is due the replacement EGR cooler, we may also be able to change the intake manifold as part of the recall if it is required to complete the recall.

If I can be any further help please do not hesitate to get in touch.”

As you can read in it they all treated me with indifference,Synter and Bmw (customer suport) alike…..all i wish now is to have it fixed and me to get rid of it. I’ve owned Bmw’s all my life but after this experience i’ve had enough and I will definitely change the brand.

Hope you will not have to deal with this kind of situations ! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 01:39 PM   #15
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

I got a third letter in the post today.
Same Script.
I will be asking my service advisor exactly what they have done when the car is in next Friday
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:35 AM   #16
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Same third letter for me today also. Not holding my breath, better people who are loosing coolant get invited first anyway, hopefully that logic applies but from this thread not convinced.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 02:26 AM   #17
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:

BMW UK are about as much use as a chocolate teapot
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 02:38 PM   #18
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy509 View Post
I love British slang
      05-02-2024, 02:52 PM   #19
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy509 View Post
Easy now, I love teapots and chocolate! I’d rather slam my ball sack in a car door than trust BMW….
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 05:17 AM   #20
BigMart
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30D 2022

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
Easy now, I love teapots and chocolate! I’d rather slam my ball sack in a car door than trust BMW….
Appreciate 0