BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Dog Hair - how do I get it out of my car?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6592
Rep
8,188
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Dog Hair - how do I get it out of my car?

I love my dog, but he's a big shedder. The vaccums at the carwash don't pick it up off the carpet, neither does a lintbrush. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
8847
Rep
2,530
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I love my dog, but he's a big shedder. The vaccums at the carwash don't pick it up off the carpet, neither does a lintbrush. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Your Welcome in advance.

When I would clean my dad's van he used to transport his Border Collies around, I would use both the rubber brush and the stone. I haven't done any pet hair removals in a while, but IIRC, the stone works best on shorter fabrics (seat upholstery) and the brush works better on longer fabrics (carpets).

Here is a link to the best rubber brush I've seen. The static created by the rubber attracts the hair while you work it over the upholstery.

https://www.autogeek.net/rubber-pet-brush.html

Also, go get a pumice stone. What you are going to do is use it as a brush and it pulls the dog hair out of the fibers and gathers it into a pile. Then just go over it with your shop vac. I once spent hours vacuuming a section that had dog hair embedded in the fibers. I used a brush, packing tape etc... and nothing worked. This thing worked like a champ. Here is a link to the best one available, there are some great customer videos of it working as you scroll down:

https://www.amazon.com/Fur-Zoff-0000.../dp/B003465G9M


Finally, if you do not have a rubber brush or the pumice stone, you can put latex gloves on your hand and rub the hair towards your shop vac, which works quite well!
__________________
Вести себя прилично? После дождичка в четверг!
Appreciate 7
      01-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1312
Rep
2,167
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

microfiber towels are grabby and help but might not always get everything. I use them for my keeshond.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
2648
Rep
7,770
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ushie hit this one on the head. I have cloth seats (because plaid) and keep one of those rubber toothed brushes in there, they're magic. But buy a few, the teeth break off relatively quickly.

We laugh that our Beagle's hair isn't attached to her, it just floats around her in close proximity.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
a4nut
Private First Class
77
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: 13 135is
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (1)

Duct tape
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
Alfisti
Major
846
Rep
1,077
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
Appreciate 1
******2019.00

      01-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6592
Rep
8,188
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
You deserve to be banned, and sentenced to watch 100 hours of Gilligans island!
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 6
      01-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
damageprone
Captain
455
Rep
892
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
I would use both the rubber brush and the stone. I haven't done any pet hair removals in a while, but IIRC, the stone works best on shorter fabrics (seat upholstery) and the brush works better on longer fabrics (carpets).

Here is a link to the best rubber brush I've seen. The static created by the rubber attracts the hair while you work it over the upholstery.

https://www.autogeek.net/rubber-pet-brush.html

I have to agree with the rubber brush. Use it in combination with a shop vac and it'll pull up almost anything. It even got out glitter from a bunch of holiday decorations that I threw in my trunk haphazardly that I thought would be stuck in there for all of eternity.

I've also tried a latex block/sponge as well and that works okay, but I still prefer the rubber brush.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Our03z4
Second Lieutenant
168
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 03 Z4 2.5
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Your Welcome in advance.

When I would clean my dad's van he used to transport his Border Collies around, I would use both the rubber brush and the stone. I haven't done any pet hair removals in a while, but IIRC, the stone works best on shorter fabrics (seat upholstery) and the brush works better on longer fabrics (carpets).

Here is a link to the best rubber brush I've seen. The static created by the rubber attracts the hair while you work it over the upholstery.

https://www.autogeek.net/rubber-pet-brush.html

Also, go get a pumice stone. What you are going to do is use it as a brush and it pulls the dog hair out of the fibers and gathers it into a pile. Then just go over it with your shop vac. I once spent hours vacuuming a section that had dog hair embedded in the fibers. I used a brush, packing tape etc... and nothing worked. This thing worked like a champ. Here is a link to the best one available, there are some great customer videos of it working as you scroll down:

https://www.amazon.com/Fur-Zoff-0000.../dp/B003465G9M


Finally, if you do not have a rubber brush or the pumice stone, you can put latex gloves on your hand and rub the hair towards your shop vac, which works quite well!


Thanks for the post! Hopefully it helps the op but I know I'm ordering both now.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent8847.00

      01-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
295
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Yes that stone may be the answer also gonna give it a try, my longhair Dachshund sheds a little but I almost always keep her on a towel when in the car.

OP you could always build a wall around the car I hear walls work, Just Fkn with you do not want to drag this in that direction but could not resist the temptation. Hope you appreciate the comic relief now back to dogs, also want to ban above they are by far Mans best friend. Had Dachshunds for the past 30 Yrs love those little rascals.
__________________
Appreciate 1
Run Silent8847.00

      01-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
2648
Rep
7,770
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
This is so weird coming from someone who tolerates Italian cars.
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
irishbimmer
Major
896
Rep
1,311
Posts

Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

RD; What kind of dog ya got?
Thx
Bill
__________________
"People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts"
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6592
Rep
8,188
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
RD; What kind of dog ya got?
Thx
Bill
The hound in question:
Attached Images
 
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 5
      01-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #14
WingZeroX5
Colonel
WingZeroX5's Avatar
United_States
619
Rep
2,217
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (12)

Wet your hands and just rub them along the carpet
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
FatRear08
Lieutenant
FatRear08's Avatar
417
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I use a damp leather chamois. Works very well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #16
rlmesq
Major
744
Rep
1,142
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
You deserve to be banned, and sentenced to watch 100 hours of Gilligans island!
Gilligan's Island is too lenient. Make him watch The Brady Bunch!



Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #17
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8174
Rep
21,398
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Keep them out of the car.
Appreciate 1
jkoral230.50

      01-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #18
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6592
Rep
8,188
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
You deserve to be banned, and sentenced to watch 100 hours of Gilligans island!
Gilligan's Island is too lenient. Make him watch The Brady Bunch!



Or make him listen to 10 hours of William Shatner singing......
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #19
Germanauto
Colonel
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
2924
Rep
2,788
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Simple solution, just kill the dog.

Profit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #20
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
17715
Rep
10,578
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Simple solution, just kill the dog.

Profit.
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto2923.50

      01-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #21
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6592
Rep
8,188
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Simple solution, just kill the dog.

Profit.
You should have to solve a "locked room" mystery with weird Al Yankovic.
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 1
Germanauto2923.50

      01-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #22
rlmesq
Major
744
Rep
1,142
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Or make him listen to 10 hours of William Shatner singing......
Hey, don't diss the Shat or you'll have to listen to this...



Note that I'm a big Lou Reed and Velvet Underground fan, but I've never been able to make it through more than a couple minutes of Metal Machine Music, let alone four sides of a two record vinyl album.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST