BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
oasis3582
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Recommended tool for winter washes

This is a bit random, I know...but I wanted to recommend an item I just picked up that is extremely useful for winter car washes. If you do not have a self-serve wash near you or do not want to lug your stuff to and from such a place, this is perfect for you. In winter, I turn off/cover my outdoor hose bibs, and when my car is really salty I feel a bit uneasy doing only a rinseless bath without a pre-rinse.

Anyway, the product is the Ryobi Cordless Power Cleaner. It is basically a slightly less powerful pressure washer and battery powered so you don't have to worry about having an outlet nearby. And best of all, it can siphon water from a bucket using the provided hose or can directly attach to a 2L bottle...no hose needed. Perfect for winter washes.

I already bought into the Ryobi One+ ecosystem, so the (brushless) tool itself was $119, or they make a brushed version for $99 if you don't need the batteries. Having just used it this week, it is well worth the price.

Brushless tool link
Brushed tool link
Youtube video overview

Note: I am not affiliated with Ryobi in any way...just think it is a great product, and I never knew something like this existed until recently!
Attached Images

Previous: VW GTI, Tesla Model 3 LR, Mazda MX-5 RF, Ford Mustang GT (x2), Mazda 3, BMW Z4 sDrive35i, Acura TSX, BMW 135i, Acura TSX, Honda Accord Coupe V6, Acura RDX, Pontiac GTO 6.0, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Last edited by oasis3582; 02-18-2022 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 3
dtox9339.00
      02-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
80_Mark
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Any sense of how far/long a home depot bucket full of water lasts? Enough to do a rinse of the entire car?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
oasis3582
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80_Mark View Post
Any sense of how far/long a home depot bucket full of water lasts? Enough to do a rinse of the entire car?
Depending on how much water you use, it might be enough. When I washed my car, I filled the bucket, rinsed the whole car and wheels, cleaned the wheels, and rinsed wheels again. Bucket was still about half full but I filled it up again to wash the car body. One bucket was plenty for the body itself.

Some variables to keep in mind:
- the brushless one (that I have) has more psi and flow rate so it will go through water quicker.
- the selected nozzle type probably makes a difference…the rinse selection seems to consume less water than the 15 degree and turbo selections.
Previous: VW GTI, Tesla Model 3 LR, Mazda MX-5 RF, Ford Mustang GT (x2), Mazda 3, BMW Z4 sDrive35i, Acura TSX, BMW 135i, Acura TSX, Honda Accord Coupe V6, Acura RDX, Pontiac GTO 6.0, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Appreciate 1
80_Mark82.00
      02-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
The.bands
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D Msport+

I have a similar one the Hydroshot from Worx which I attach to a hose. Much more powerful than just a hose on its own for washing off crud prior to a wash without the hassle of dragging out a power washer. If I'm being lazy or the weather is crap I will give the car a rinse, followed by covering with shampoo via the foam attachment, leave for 5 mins and then rinse off again. Not as good as a proper wash but definitely helps keep the car clean.

NB. Get the 4.0 Ah version as it is brushless motor, more powerful and lasts longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #5
capten1001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I got the Kobalt

I picked up the Kobalt 600 psi Power Cleaner for $40 brand new from FB marketplace. Worth every penny. Was able to wash the entire vehicle on one charge. Very happy with the performance. I live in an apartment (no access to a water spigot) and used a large bucket for Kobalt to draw water from. I also had two additional buckets to perform a 2 bucket method wash.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
capten1001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80_Mark View Post
I used about 10 gallons for the entire car. Filled up water in a 13 gallon trash can. I did detail the wheels, washed the rubber mats.
Appreciate 1
80_Mark82.00