BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2024, 01:13 PM   #1
embedgs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 2019

Washer fluid tank/washer nozzles issues

I know this is a new topic, and while there are many similar topics, however, I noticed that questions in other topics tend to be not responded at all.

So my issue is next:
Two weeks ago my washer fluid indicator turned on, I did not fill it for yet another week and then refilled it with the usual water (no solution added, and I never used rain-x solutions btw). The front nozzles barely sprayed, although the rear one worked well.
I started to do online research and found that our car tends to grow algae quite quickly which seems to be the case for me. The other day I used a whole washer tank, then poured 500ml of the rubbing alcohol in the washer tank and then pumped it through the front nozzles.
In the result, the front nozzles started to work (somewhat, still not full pressure) but I have got a washer fluid low level indicator although I topped it of this time with distilled water + BMW concentrate.

Did I kill this chemical sensor with the alcohol?
Any chance that cpo warranty will cover that?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 03:46 PM   #2
peeezy
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i g01

Quote:
Originally Posted by embedgs View Post
I know this is a new topic, and while there are many similar topics, however, I noticed that questions in other topics tend to be not responded at all.

So my issue is next:
Two weeks ago my washer fluid indicator turned on, I did not fill it for yet another week and then refilled it with the usual water (no solution added, and I never used rain-x solutions btw). The front nozzles barely sprayed, although the rear one worked well.
I started to do online research and found that our car tends to grow algae quite quickly which seems to be the case for me. The other day I used a whole washer tank, then poured 500ml of the rubbing alcohol in the washer tank and then pumped it through the front nozzles.
In the result, the front nozzles started to work (somewhat, still not full pressure) but I have got a washer fluid low level indicator although I topped it of this time with distilled water + BMW concentrate.

Did I kill this chemical sensor with the alcohol?
Any chance that cpo warranty will cover that?
i believe the screenwash fluid sensor is defective. mine says im low on fluid when im not. the only way i kno im actually low is when my rear knozzle dont spray and then i was actually able to add 4litres of screenwash fluid.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 03:57 PM   #3
embedgs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeezy View Post
i believe the screenwash fluid sensor is defective. mine says im low on fluid when im not. the only way i kno im actually low is when my rear knozzle dont spray and then i was actually able to add 4litres of screenwash fluid.
Isn't the rear nozzle being disabled as soon as the sensor shows the warning?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 04:05 PM   #4
peeezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
im not 100% sure how the senor works. but in my case today my car says low fluid but my front n rear knozzles spray just fine. the warning comes and goes also
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 11:52 PM   #5
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Quote:
then refilled it with the usual water
This concerns me.
As said any times before, I use rather cheap* winter/summer screenwash and never had problems a) with algae, b) with limestone or any other obstruction in nozzles for 15 years owning cars. The only thing I didn't secure was how to get winter screenwash earlier than in November, which was too late. So I have one in reserve and start to mix it with current content in Sept/Oct.
Brands in the US are completely different, which is surprising, but this might be the issue.
Use decent screenwash only, not the cheapest, definitely not tap water.

*It gets in decent money, especially in winter, at $1.5/litre, where the tank can be emptied in 2 days. People that do need to drive every day in winter, literally use more screenwash than fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 04:45 PM   #6
peeezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
u are correct. my rear nozzle doesnt spary when the warning is on the dash. but i have full fluid
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:52 PM   #7
embedgs
Enlisted Member
Rep

short update: went to the dealership and they found that strainer is completely clogged, replaced it by CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0