BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #89
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonBabaev View Post
When will the midpipe be released?
At this juncture with no piping still in the building and the time of the year its likely a early 2021 release.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #90
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw f10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
When will the midpipe be released?
At this juncture with no piping still in the building and the time of the year its likely a early 2021 release.
Do you know how much it'll cost? Estimated?
      12-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #91
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you know how much it'll cost? Estimated?
Forum rules prohibit posting pricing in the general threads. That said, no costing/pricing is in the system yet but I would imagine it would be similar to the 'X' for the F90 M5 that is available since they are similar in nature/style.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #92
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Attachment 2363696
Dinan BMW F97 X3M and F98 X4M Axle Back Exhaust Systems

Part Number(s): D660-0086 & D660-0086-BLK

Applications:
  • 2020-2021 F97 X3M
  • 2020-2021 F97 X3M Competition
  • 2020-2021 F98 X4M
  • 2020-2021 F98 X4M Competition
Product Page(s) / Pricing:Release Date: Available Now!

Description: The “baby M’s” of the ’X’ family just got a bit more big brother like. With more volume and a deeper, more aggressive note courtesy of the Dinan axle back exhaust system, the F97/F98 now stand on the precipice of rivaling, or even surpassing, its V8 siblings --- at least, in regards to sound. With an intoxicating and menacing sound befitting of a high performance SUV the X3M/X4M holds its own amongst the pantheon of more traditional M’s.

In order to achieve the deep and throaty signature Dinan sound the system incorporates larger 76mm tubing (vs 70mm stock) that allows freer flow through the entirety of the system but specifically to both outer pipes when the enlarged valves are open. The resulting flow and sound mimics an awe-inspiring straight pipe solution with a deeper, fuller tone, a defining element of all Dinan exhausts. In contradiction to the aggressiveness resulting from open valves, when the valves are closed, all gasses are forced into the muffler for sound deadening and exit the two inner tips. Regardless of valve position, the intimate nature of the interior is retained so conversation can continue without an excessively loud drone courtesy of drone abatement technologies housed within the can. With the Dinan exhaust equipped on the X3M/X4M you get the best of both worlds; aggressive tone/sound and civility

Perhaps equally important to the sound of the installed Dinan axle back system are the resulting aesthetics. With a nearly perfect symmetrical design, the raw muffler and pipe routing are pleasing to the eye even when the matching proportions are only partially visible after install. The piping culminates into four massive 114mm (4.5”) tips that fill up the previously spacious factory cut out in the valance without appearing to be oversized and unnatural. The imposing tips utilize a new tip design with an inverted clamp neck. The new style allows for two very important things to happen. The first is the ability to have a longer tip sleeve length without sacrificing real estate for a clamp neck thus allowing larger tips even when there is limited straight pipe to clamp on to. Secondly, the interior clamp neck means that the clamp itself is almost completely hidden from view for an unblemished install. Dinan has retained its signature straight cut tip design, safeguarding its unique and elegant styling position amongst a crowded marketplace full of angle cuts. With systems available with either black ceramic coated or polished clamp-on, and laser engraved exhaust tips, there is a version that is sure to meet your individual aesthetic needs.

Features/Benefits:
  • More Power: Max gains of +8 HP @ 6600 RPM, +6 FT-LB @ 6600 RPM.
  • Enjoyably louder, sportier sound.
  • Quad 4.5" (114 mm) diameter clamp-on, double-walled laser engraved exhaust tips. Available in ceramic black or polished.
  • Tuck-it tip design ensures a nearly flawless and unencumbered visual appearance
  • 100% 304 brushed stainless steel construction w/ TIG welding.
  • Larger diameter piping for increased flow (76mm vs 70mm).
  • 5 lbs lighter than the stock system.
  • Computer controlled exhaust valves retained, limiting noise during low speed driving and opening fully during high-load conditions.
  • Twin exhaust valves are a whopping 76mm diameter, making them 30% less restrictive than the OE valves.
  • Easy bolt-on installation with included mounting hardware.

Attachment 2363697
Attachment 2363698
Attachment 2363699
Attachment 2363700
Attachment 2363701
Attachment 2363702
Attachment 2363703
I have to say, that looks and sounds beautiful!
Appreciate 1
NWX3M49.00
      12-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #93
ZTZ1010
Aficionado of All Things Vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M Competition

Mine is going on later this morning 😁😁 will post some pics of install and sound clips paired with my ER DPs
Attached Images

Retired:
'18 6MT AW F30 340x Drive | '15 6MT F80 M3| '11 AW DCT E92 M3| '09 6MT AW E90 335i| 08' 6MT E92 328xi
Appreciate 8
      03-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #94
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Fitting DINAN F97 axel back system in G01 M40i ?

Hello,

Sorry to crash in here with G01 related question.

I'm looking for some F97'ish expert inputs/thoughts on what else i would need to do homework on before jumping in to install (with some fab work required i'm sure) the DINAN's F97 axel back exhaust system into 2019 G01 M40i.

I have done some homework on,

a) good fab/install performance shop, check (i've worked with these local folks before on custom exhaust, etc.)

b) replace g01 rear diffuser with that of f97, parts identified, some painting required (Dark Graphite), the smart opener cabling is the same between f97 and g01,

c) Compatibility with hangers, mounting points, etc.

d) Underside clearance, seems to be okay, side by side comparison photo below, the right side is from sone other g01 m40i owner that put on f97 diffuser with some other brand of axel back system,

e) Exhaust flaps, f97 has 2, g01 has one by the driver side, could i get away by installing just one flap? Or, if both, then leave passenger side flap always opened?

f) Both f97 and g01 has 80mm diameters on pipes to the muffler, so cutting and using DINAN's pipe on g01 to mate with g01 front muffler dual pipes should work?

g) What to expect from resulting sound? Drones?

h) ... What else am i leaving off to determine this ain't going to work?

I'm current owners of DINAN parts in the other 2 cars, so i know what i can expect on finished products themselves. No issues with less bling look compared to other more flashy brands.

It's been a while but does DINAN still run their badge points program?

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
ocdx30.00
      03-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #95
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Hello,

Sorry to crash in here with G01 related question.

I'm looking for some F97'ish expert inputs/thoughts on what else i would need to do homework on before jumping in to install (with some fab work required i'm sure) the DINAN's F97 axel back exhaust system into 2019 G01 M40i.

I have done some homework on,

a) good fab/install performance shop, check (i've worked with these local folks before on custom exhaust, etc.)

b) replace g01 rear diffuser with that of f97, parts identified, some painting required (Dark Graphite), the smart opener cabling is the same between f97 and g01,

c) Compatibility with hangers, mounting points, etc.

d) Underside clearance, seems to be okay, side by side comparison photo below, the right side is from sone other g01 m40i owner that put on f97 diffuser with some other brand of axel back system,

e) Exhaust flaps, f97 has 2, g01 has one by the driver side, could i get away by installing just one flap? Or, if both, then leave passenger side flap always opened?

f) Both f97 and g01 has 80mm diameters on pipes to the muffler, so cutting and using DINAN's pipe on g01 to mate with g01 front muffler dual pipes should work?

g) What to expect from resulting sound? Drones?

h) ... What else am i leaving off to determine this ain't going to work?

I'm current owners of DINAN parts in the other 2 cars, so i know what i can expect on finished products themselves. No issues with less bling look compared to other more flashy brands.

It's been a while but does DINAN still run their badge points program?

Thanks.
The diffuser will definitely work (in my opinion) and I bet the exhaust will bolt up as well. I wouldn't even bother trying to hook up the exhaust flaps, as you'll want the sound anyway (which is why you want the Dinan right?). Other than that I bet it's 100% bolt on the same way it would be on the X3M. I say that because the X3M is a bit of a parts bin car in comparison to other M models, and they didn't really touch anything with the rear end to make it M-Specific besides the minor things you mentioned that are easily swappable.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #96
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I wouldn't even bother trying to hook up the exhaust flaps, as you'll want the sound anyway (which is why you want the Dinan right?).
Sort of...

This is the wife's ride and i think i should at least add one of the flap with g01 stock valve actuator for the eco drive mode.

I am considering the DINAN's dual exhaust valve remote.

Okay, i'll give DINAN a call on Monday to see if they will recommend this. I don't know. Maybe doing this mod will blow up the B58. Maybe... Since this exhaust system was tuned, pressure/sound equalized with their F97 project car, i don't know what this exhaust system will do to the B58.
Appreciate 1
ocdx30.00
      03-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #97
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't even bother trying to hook up the exhaust flaps, as you'll want the sound anyway (which is why you want the Dinan right?).
Sort of...

This is the wife's ride and i think i should at least add one of the flap with g01 stock valve actuator for the eco drive mode.

I am considering the DINAN's dual exhaust valve remote.

Okay, i'll give DINAN a call on Monday to see if they will recommend this. I don't know. Maybe doing this mod will blow up the B58. Maybe... Since this exhaust system was tuned, pressure/sound equalized with their F97 project car, i don't know what this exhaust system will do to the B58.
Not sure if Dinan will be of much help - they'll tell you it won't work.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 06:07 PM   #98
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Any new news on an F97M S58 mid pipe Dinan_Engineering? I have cat back on order but want to add a mid.

Last edited by Dobie Dog; 03-29-2021 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #99
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps... Did have (descent) chat with Adam over at Dinan, he did offer to check with their engineering and get back to me, maybe with same response.

Then again, they have the axel back system for M340i that runs the same/similar setup with dual flaps, quad exhausts for its B58 with single downpipe. On paper should work, but that probably isn't worth a damn in practice...

Will see...
Appreciate 1
ocdx30.00
      03-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #100
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nah -- we will just say it hasn't been tested so we couldn't say. Thats the default response for hypotheticals at least.

Quote:
Perhaps... Did have (descent) chat with Adam over at Dinan, he did offer to check with their engineering and get back to me, maybe with same response.

Then again, they have the axel back system for M340i that runs the same/similar setup with dual flaps, quad exhausts for its B58 with single downpipe. On paper should work, but that probably isn't worth a damn in practice...

Will see...
M340i exahust I wouldn't even consider. Different size pipe, different routing and probably most importantly, likely different tip offsets (location within the bumper). Could probably make it work with enough fabrication but also probably not worth that much anguish. As far as the X3M on an X3 M40i -- see general response above but the native axleback cut points are different with different kick outs so at bare minimum there will be some fabrication involved at the join point. However there are elements which without a car to scan/measure for comparison purposes are simply guesses. You can only glean so much information from ETK with part numbers and pictures. Is the muffler cavity big enough, or have the right dimensions for the X3M can? Tip offsets work within that cavity even with the revised bumper or do the pipes hit something? Do the X3M pipes go around the rear X3M40i differential with clearance? Hangar locations the same (appear to be in photos but scale may be different)? Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
Any new news on an F97M S58 mid pipe Dinan_Engineering? I have cat back on order but want to add a mid.
It's coming. Had to rework some pipes which caused a bit of a delay.
Appreciate 1
Dobie Dog738.50
      03-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #101
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nah -- we will just say it hasn't been tested so we couldn't say. Thats the default response for hypotheticals at least.

M340i exahust I wouldn't even consider. Different size pipe, different routing and probably most importantly, likely different tip offsets (location within the bumper). Could probably make it work with enough fabrication but also probably not worth that much anguish. As far as the X3M on an X3 M40i -- see general response above but the native axleback cut points are different with different kick outs so at bare minimum there will be some fabrication involved at the join point. However there are elements which without a car to scan/measure for comparison purposes are simply guesses. You can only glean so much information from ETK with part numbers and pictures. Is the muffler cavity big enough, or have the right dimensions for the X3M can? Tip offsets work within that cavity even with the revised bumper or do the pipes hit something? Do the X3M pipes go around the rear X3M40i differential with clearance? Hangar locations the same (appear to be in photos but scale may be different)? Etc.
Okay, thanks.

So, let's make few assumptions right from the start. Shop and i reviewed side by side the X3M underside with X3 M40i. It will fit, granted there will be some minor hanger adjustments. Yes, will fit, no issue. And tips have no issues. I have same diffuser and clearances behind, under, around, no issue.

I trust this shop, and they have done miracles with fabrications, including with pipes and exhausts.

What i'm asking Dinan about is,

a) can you sell me the kit with extra flap actuator like you do with M340i axel back system,

b) can you sell me the y-cable wiring harness like you do with M340i axel back system,

c) is there any cause for concern that this will blow up my B58?

And again, sorry i'm injecting G01 into this discussion.
Appreciate 1
ocdx30.00
      03-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #102
X3Moneyretto
Rep
Drives: X3M

Dinan. I ordered my exhaust on feb 4. It was supposed to be shipping March 27. Now I’m being told April 23. Who did you give my order to? What’s the hold up?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #103
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, thanks.

So, let's make few assumptions right from the start. Shop and i reviewed side by side the X3M underside with X3 M40i. It will fit, granted there will be some minor hanger adjustments. Yes, will fit, no issue. And tips have no issues. I have same diffuser and clearances behind, under, around, no issue.

I trust this shop, and they have done miracles with fabrications, including with pipes and exhausts.

What i'm asking Dinan about is,

a) can you sell me the kit with extra flap actuator like you do with M340i axel back system,

b) can you sell me the y-cable wiring harness like you do with M340i axel back system,

c) is there any cause for concern that this will blow up my B58?

And again, sorry i'm injecting G01 into this discussion.
A/B: We can sell you the M340i actuator kit / tee if desired -- part number would be D663-0356. Would need to get pricing from the tech sales folks as I don't see sub-assembly part prices. That is also who you would need to order it from anyway though (1-800-341-5480).

C. If an axleback exhaust somehow manages to blow up the car that would be a feat in itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #104
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Moneyretto View Post
Dinan. I ordered my exhaust on feb 4. It was supposed to be shipping March 27. Now I’m being told April 23. Who did you give my order to? What’s the hold up?
Building and shipping as we are able. Exhausts in general have been in tremendous demand over the last year and a half and with some of the supply chain being a bit spotty its hard to keep up. A fair number of our exhaust SKU's are on backorder so production has the unenviable task of trying to balance building to stock and building to backorder. Given the amount of it, the latter is the winner essesntially all of the time at present. Build order is then prioritized by delinquency (how far back the backorder goes) and then volume. In some cases though we are just waiting on parts so other things get pushed in front while we wait. In the case of the X3M specificallywe are still waiting on a handful of internal pipes to come in to be able to build the kit and that is where we sit. I'm sure not the answer you were hoping for but its the reality.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #105
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's coming. Had to rework some pipes which caused a bit of a delay.
Good news Thanks for the reply.
      03-31-2021, 09:25 PM   #106
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
A/B: We can sell you the M340i actuator kit / tee if desired -- part number would be D663-0356. Would need to get pricing from the tech sales folks as I don't see sub-assembly part prices. That is also who you would need to order it from anyway though (1-800-341-5480).

C. If an axleback exhaust somehow manages to blow up the car that would be a feat in itself.
Thank you, will call into DINAN sales tomorrow.

Looks like the ETA is showing as date 04/30/2021...

I'll jump in at this price.
Appreciate 1
ocdx30.00
      03-31-2021, 10:36 PM   #107
LimeRock
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
Good news Thanks for the reply.
Dinan_Engineering Any info on whether this will be a single, x-pipe, equal length, or standard 2-pipe setup?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 07:46 AM   #108
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRock View Post
Dinan_Engineering Any info on whether this will be a single, x-pipe, equal length, or standard 2-pipe setup?
X-pipe / Resonator delete. Similar to the F90 M5 one we already sell.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #109
LimeRock
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Great! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #110
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would hit add to cart right now if I could