BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
jayfeinst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

1 Post, 2 Questions- 30e

Hi all. Thought I'd try to be efficient and consolidate to one post.

Question1- my volume when I'm in media will often say "navigation" and not adjust the volume on whatever music I am listening to. I'm not in nav, never use nav and it's super annoying. tonight, the volume didn't work at all. Thought I'd see if there was an obvious fix before scheduling service...thanks!

Question 2- My X3 makes a really loud squeaky brake noise in reverse. The dealer said this is because it's an EV and needs to alert anyone who could be behind me. When I listen to Teslas, Priuses, etc. they make a whirring noise. This only happens when I hit the brakes in reverse. It's not brake dust as it only happens in reverse.

These are both minor things that annoy me enough to take some of the love away from this vehicle. Appreciate any input!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
Skidriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 30e

I don't quite understand your first question, but my 30e doesn't make any noise when I brake in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
jayfeinst
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'll try to get a screen shot. Essentially, I'm listening to Sirius and want to adjust the volume. Instead of lowering or increasing the media volume, it shows Navigation volume even though I'm not in Nav.

Thanks for verifying reverse issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
Gbm4th
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3.0E

I have an X3.0E with a July 2021 build date. I sometimes park on an incline with the parking brake activated. When releasing the parking brake I get a loud noise. That is the only situation in which that happens.

George
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
graz74
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

I've found my 30e can be a bit squeaky on the brakes in both forward and reverse at low speed. It's got nothing to do with pedestrian warning (that's an altogether different sound that is much more subtle)

It could be because a) they are the larger Msport brakes (fitted to the 30e because of the heavy batteries), or b) because the majority of breaking on a 30e is done via regen to the battery, so the pads and disks have less contact time over their life or even c) as the car is in EV mode nearly all the time at low speed, I do find it does tend to "pull" more in idle than on ICE, hence it's resisting the brakes more. Just a thought 🧐
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Skidriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 30e

Also, this is yet another example of an SA knowing nothing about hybrids lol. The noise happens when you brake, not when you're moving right? So how would that help pedestrians? You're *already* braking.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
jrodri7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 XDrive30e, M Sport

Funny how I had the exact same issue like your Question1, on the day this was posted. First time it happened and it was annoying. Good thing I only have a 2 mile commute, I parked, turned off (disconnected CarPlay) and then turned back on the car and it went back to normal.

Way annoying because there was NO WAY to increase the volume at all. It kept saying Navigation.

Next time it happens I will try different things, including disconnecting CarPlay (by turning off my phone or wifi) and starting a navigation on either the built in nav or Apple Maps to see if it somehow fixes the issue.

Otherwise I will add it to the list of minor issues on my next service visit.

Regarding Question 2, Do you have Auto H on? I notice that the parking brake sometimes squeaks when you apply the brakes, although I haven't noticed it lately as I rarely drive with the windows down.

Regarding the acoustic pedestrian protection sound, I do know that it is either louder in reverse, or the tone changes, or the speaker is closer to my ear than the one in the front. Either way it is more noticeable, but never squeaks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
jayfeinst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate the words of wisdom! Finally got it in for service today and a different SA agreed the reverse noise was not a “pedestrian warning.” Apparently I was also due for a software update that I was never notified about.

Jrodri7- it only happens when I’m driving my daughter home from volleyball which is an hour in stop and go. We both get pissed without music and curse the iDrive Gods😜. Regarding brakes- no on auto H and I definitely hear it with the windows up and radio on- it’s that loud!
Appreciate 1
jrodri724.00
      11-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #9
jayfeinst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate the words of wisdom! Finally got it in for service today and a different SA agreed the reverse noise was not a “pedestrian warning.” Apparently I was also due for a software update that I was never notified about.

Jrodri7- it only happens when I’m driving my daughter home from volleyball which is an hour in stop and go. We both get pissed without music and curse the iDrive Gods😜
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #10
ltmac
Rep
Drives: bmw

there is a software update for the braking squeak when reversing at low speed?
I am having the break squeaking noise when reversing and braking at low speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #11
Maverick241
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3e, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfeinst View Post
Hi all. Thought I'd try to be efficient and consolidate to one post.

Question1- my volume when I'm in media will often say "navigation" and not adjust the volume on whatever music I am listening to. I'm not in nav, never use nav and it's super annoying. tonight, the volume didn't work at all. Thought I'd see if there was an obvious fix before scheduling service...thanks!

Question 2- My X3 makes a really loud squeaky brake noise in reverse. The dealer said this is because it's an EV and needs to alert anyone who could be behind me. When I listen to Teslas, Priuses, etc. they make a whirring noise. This only happens when I hit the brakes in reverse. It's not brake dust as it only happens in reverse.

These are both minor things that annoy me enough to take some of the love away from this vehicle. Appreciate any input!
Funny you bring that up. I get the exact same squeak in reverse and ONLY in reverse!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #12
Maverick241
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3e, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmac View Post
there is a software update for the braking squeak when reversing at low speed?
I am having the break squeaking noise when reversing and braking at low speed.
Of course not how could a software update fix that? I have the latest update FYI (there is a recall requiring an update) and still get it, typically only on an incline in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #13
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I had the “navigation” volume thing happen once in my car. It was when my wife and I were both in the car. My phone connected via CarPlay and hers plugged into the USB port in the armrest. We were listening to a Spotify playlist on her phone. When I went to change the volume, it said “Navigation” and I guess the car was thinking that I was changing the volume of the voice guidance for the Nav.

It sounds like your situation is similar. Are you listening to your daughter’s music? You might need to disconnect from CarPlay or fiddle around with something.
      11-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #14
jayfeinst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post
I had the “navigation” volume thing happen once in my car. It was when my wife and I were both in the car. My phone connected via CarPlay and hers plugged into the USB port in the armrest. We were listening to a Spotify playlist on her phone. When I went to change the volume, it said “Navigation” and I guess the car was thinking that I was changing the volume of the voice guidance for the Nav.

It sounds like your situation is similar. Are you listening to your daughter’s music? You might need to disconnect from CarPlay or fiddle around with something.
No- my daughter has terrible taste in music(unlike my impeccable taste)....also, she was in the back seat, not connected via usb or bluetooth.

They cambered the breaks but it still squeaks a bit. I guess it's good that my volume is working now so I can just turn it up to cover the brake noise as ignorance is bliss!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #15
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfeinst View Post
No- my daughter has terrible taste in music(unlike my impeccable taste)....also, she was in the back seat, not connected via usb or bluetooth.

They cambered the breaks but it still squeaks a bit. I guess it's good that my volume is working now so I can just turn it up to cover the brake noise as ignorance is bliss!
I also have a daughter with terrible taste in music