BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
dreamtheater39
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X4 M Sport X 3.0d

Mounting a tablet in an aesthetically pleasing way!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey,

I've been trying to figure a good place to mount a 7" or 10" tablet within my X4 g02. Looking for ideas on what's a good mount and good mount location for another display.

Ideally something which blends in with the rest of the car dash/interiors. Would be great if you could share pictures!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

It might help to clarify what your intended purpose of the second screen is. That will dictate where you should be installing it.

As for a dash mounting, be careful if you decide to mount it anywhere above the ambient lighting belt-line on the passenger side of the vehicle. I'm unsure what shape the passenger side airbag is and how far it can reach the centreline of the dash. If that airbag ever deployed, you could've inadvertently turned the second screen into a claymore for any passengers in your vehicle.

Now, where I could see a slick second screen mounting location would be inside the glove compartment. This way when you want to see it, you'd leave the glovebox open; when you don't, close it up. However, this would come at the cost of passenger footwell room.

Other ideas for the front mount would be in front of the HVAC controls, cause let's be honest, how often do you really adjust and/or touch anything there. I sorta see that whole part of the dash as a "set-it and forget-it" area.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:44 AM   #3
dreamtheater39
Private
Rep

Wanted another display for a couple reasons. I'm being held hostage by BMW by not giving me a July 2020 update to my id7 rig in my region. BMW maps sucks...and when I use Apple carplay....the nav info does not come over to instrument cluster. So when my wife fiddles with the media on the idrive I lose nav info!

Again, I'm nitpicking :P

And it doesnt hurt to have YouTube playing when I'm driving that I can occassionally glance at when there's bad traffic!

Well found one spot for it....attached a picture...now to find a good 7" tablet (compared to what I currently have)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 01:49 AM   #4
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
YouTube while driving huh? Well you're a menace.
Appreciate 3
wdeerfield2745.00
VipinLJ1941.50
      04-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
You've clearly never sampled Indian driving and Indian Roads.

On one of my trips, on the dual carriageway between Agra and Delhi, we encountered several elephants heading against the flow of traffic on our carriageway.

In 2019 there were 151000 fatalities on Indian roads.

Here's two examples of the Indian approach to road safety - family of 5 on a motorbike, and a bus overtaking on a blind bend and nearly hitting another bus.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #6
dreamtheater39
Private
Rep

Quote:
I bet the first thing you coded on your bimmer was to enable video in motion

Well if not you - that's what most folks do! So lets not get hypocritical here, shall we?

And my YouTube videos are just music live videos - not intense Tarantino movies. And Indian traffic can get pretty bad most of the time - long wait times at traffic lights etc.

So it's as risky as looking at your idrive screen for whatever it is you look at it while driving from time to time!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheater39 View Post
I bet the first thing you coded on your bimmer was to enable video in motion

Well if not you - that's what most folks do! So lets not get hypocritical here, shall we?

And my YouTube videos are just music live videos - not intense Tarantino movies. And Indian traffic can get pretty bad most of the time - long wait times at traffic lights etc.

So it's as risky as looking at your idrive screen for whatever it is you look at it while driving from time to time!
No I’ve never coded any of my cars to play video through the oem screen.

All of these excuses amount to trash and you know it. Playing video while you drive is one of the most dangerous things you can do. It’s literally splitting your visual attention away from the road. At the very least you are contributing to traffic by being distracted. At the most, you will literally kill someone by being distracted.

And all of your reasons really amount to “because I want to” which is a total trash set of reasons. Total and utter rubbish.
Appreciate 6
BMWZ41909.50
plagm120.00
VipinLJ1941.50
      04-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I've got my PS5 wired up - those traffic lights take forever!

Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      04-28-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
No I’ve never coded any of my cars to play video through the oem screen.

All of these excuses amount to trash and you know it. Playing video while you drive is one of the most dangerous things you can do. It’s literally splitting your visual attention away from the road. At the very least you are contributing to traffic by being distracted. At the most, you will literally kill someone by being distracted.

And all of your reasons really amount to “because I want to” which is a total trash set of reasons. Total and utter rubbish.
I can't imagine the horror you'd feel watching me steer with my legs and practice rudiments with drum sticks on my steering wheel heading down the highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #10
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylodan View Post
I can't imagine the horror you'd feel watching me steer with my legs and practice rudiments with drum sticks on my steering wheel heading down the highway.
In another thread (mine, actually), you said you bike down the same twisty road I drive. How comfortable would you be if you knew I had YouTube streaming while doing that?

My point is that drumming with your hands, eating chips, whatever, sure, it's all fun and games. But there's a level of distraction that becomes inherently dangerous, and I firmly object to that. Call me a tightass or whatever, but you won't convince me to not judge this kind of stupid harshly.
      04-29-2021, 01:32 AM   #11
dreamtheater39
Private
Rep

Quote:
In another thread (mine, actually), you said you bike down the same twisty road I drive. How comfortable would you be if you knew I had YouTube streaming while doing that?

My point is that drumming with your hands, eating chips, whatever, sure, it's all fun and games. But there's a level of distraction that becomes inherently dangerous, and I firmly object to that. Call me a tightass or whatever, but you won't convince me to not judge this kind of stupid harshly.
I have a question for you - do you engage with people in the car, have conversations, laugh and display emotions.....while driving? Or do you sit there like Mr.Terminator himself the entire drive?
Appreciate 1
xylodan27.00
      04-30-2021, 03:32 AM   #12
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMan View Post
You've clearly never sampled Indian driving and Indian Roads.

On one of my trips, on the dual carriageway between Agra and Delhi, we encountered several elephants heading against the flow of traffic on our carriageway.

In 2019 there were 151000 fatalities on Indian roads.

Here's two examples of the Indian approach to road safety - family of 5 on a motorbike, and a bus overtaking on a blind bend and nearly hitting another bus.
Are you trying to imply that the 'several Elephant's' didn't have the right of way
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #13
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a question for you - do you engage with people in the car, have conversations, laugh and display emotions.....while driving? Or do you sit there like Mr.Terminator himself the entire drive?
This is an unserious question if you really can't/won't acknowledge the difference between watching a video and talking to someone.
      04-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #14
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:

I take no issue to anyone streaming youtube. I take issue with them watching it while driving. Just as I take issue with people texting, yelling at their kids in the back seat, having an argument with their spouse, eating while driving...

I thought his explanation of how he responsibly may use the tablet seemed reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #15
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

Quote:
You live in a country with one of the worst road safety records in the world. You seem to be intent on adding to the statistics and it sounds like you probably already contribute by driving while "watching You Tube", you may not have had an accident but god know whats going on around you while you're watching tv....

Try as you might to defend you choices you can't, its wrong, stupid and probably illegal (well at least in most countries). Insurance would not pay out in most countries, accidents or even worse if you killed someone would go from careless driving to dangerous driving, you would be at fault, you would/should go to prison.

But i am comparing one counties laws and policing policy with another, one with a record that mirrors your own attitude to road safety.

You sound like a misguided individual whos opinions should not be offered on a respectful and sensible forum.

I have tried my best to be respectful and believe me it has been very hard not to call you a Cretin so i wont.
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2021, 10:22 PM   #16
nitinsharma1000
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28

Quote:
As an Indian, I can't say I understand your way thinking. Same as people saying that they don't wear helmets in protest of the ill maintained roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #17
nitinsharma1000
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28

Very well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
You live in a country with one of the worst road safety records in the world. You seem to be intent on adding to the statistics and it sounds like you probably already contribute by driving while "watching You Tube", you may not have had an accident but god know whats going on around you while you're watching tv....

Try as you might to defend you choices you can't, its wrong, stupid and probably illegal (well at least in most countries). Insurance would not pay out in most countries, accidents or even worse if you killed someone would go from careless driving to dangerous driving, you would be at fault, you would/should go to prison.

But i am comparing one counties laws and policing policy with another, one with a record that mirrors your own attitude to road safety.

You sound like a misguided individual whos opinions should not be offered on a respectful and sensible forum.

I have tried my best to be respectful and believe me it has been very hard not to call you a Cretin so i wont.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #18
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

Hey....I'll call him a "Cretin"....."Stupid is as stupid does"(Forest Gump)
Appreciate 0