BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-09-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
nord1899
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Wireless Android Auto - Stutters, stops, etc

Anyone got any tips and tricks to fix this?

Basically at seemingly random times, the music will start to stutter or stop completely as though AA has crashed. Randomly meaning I've had it start to happen at start up, after several minutes, or after an hour or more. If its the stutter, the solution seems to be to pause/stop the music for a few seconds and then resume. If the stop/crash, just have to wait for everything to resync/connect.

Car is a 2021 (production in Nov 2020).
Phone is a Samsung S20 5G (regular, not ultra not plus). Upgraded to latest patch: Android 11, OneUI 3.1, March 1 2021 patch level. AndroidAuto is version 6.1.610544-release.

Apps that I've used that have experienced this:
- YT Music
- Spotify
- Tidal
- Podcast Addict

Note that I usually leave it in iDrive mode using the iDrive map in a big frame with the music info in a small frame. Not sure if having the display being the actual full Android Auto (music or maps) makes a difference or not.

I have looked around on r/AndroidAuto and basically the only advice there is to turn off battery optimization for the AndroidAuto app. Which I've done and no noticeable improvement.

Wondering if its just better to use BT streaming, even with the audio quality reduction, just to avoid this.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 02:54 AM   #2
jse81
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

I have this exact same configuration and same issues. The car has been back to BMW 3 times. They finally replaced the head unit this week and I was hoping to put these troubles behind me. Sadly it didn't resolve the issue.

Not sure where to from here. I've tried other Android phones and they all do it. Another s20 and an S10.

I tried my daughters iPhone and no issues with carplay.

Tech is important to me and this has soured the experience. I've not had working BT music for 6 months or so.

I guess I'll just sell it and cut my losses.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 11:43 PM   #3
mikesierra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
Anyone got any tips and tricks to fix this?

Basically at seemingly random times, the music will start to stutter or stop completely as though AA has crashed. Randomly meaning I've had it start to happen at start up, after several minutes, or after an hour or more. If its the stutter, the solution seems to be to pause/stop the music for a few seconds and then resume. If the stop/crash, just have to wait for everything to resync/connect.

Car is a 2021 (production in Nov 2020).
Phone is a Samsung S20 5G (regular, not ultra not plus). Upgraded to latest patch: Android 11, OneUI 3.1, March 1 2021 patch level. AndroidAuto is version 6.1.610544-release.

Apps that I've used that have experienced this:
- YT Music
- Spotify
- Tidal
- Podcast Addict

Note that I usually leave it in iDrive mode using the iDrive map in a big frame with the music info in a small frame. Not sure if having the display being the actual full Android Auto (music or maps) makes a difference or not.

I have looked around on r/AndroidAuto and basically the only advice there is to turn off battery optimization for the AndroidAuto app. Which I've done and no noticeable improvement.

Wondering if its just better to use BT streaming, even with the audio quality reduction, just to avoid this.

Thanks.
I've had the same issue as you ( Note 20 ultra). I've only had it on long drives , and with my phone on the wireless charger. I've also noticed the phone to get extremely hot at these times. I just assumed that the issue may be with the phone overheating. Android auto does seem to have its share of bugs. Even in my previous Acura, the wired connection would stop working randomly (both on my previous note 8 and the current phone).

On such occasions, my wife's iPhone works fine with BT (I've never successfully started car play with her phone).

Do you also think it may not be a car issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:50 AM   #4
jse81
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Could be the phone.

I did a full reset on my phone yesterday including setting up a new Google account (to avoid restoring dodgy backup settings) and drove to work and back today (2hrs) and it didnt play up at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
nord1899
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So whats weird is the stutter of the music or complete disconnect of wireless AA is very consistent in where it happens. I've found a couple places around here where it happens and basically no where else.

So makes me wonder what kind of interference might be happening there causing the in car wifi to get overwhelmed.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #6
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I have this issue too... It didn't do it for a few weeks when I first got the car. I have reverted to just using Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 10:16 PM   #7
shekar
Registered
India
Rep
Drives: skoda vrs / ford endy / bmw x7

same issue for me too - pl see the link for details - i sent the car to bmw for a reinstall of the module program . but no improvement . any pointers to solve this issue will be grateful.

x7 - 2021 model

Last edited by shekar; 07-10-2021 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: car model name
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #8
kmaverick
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 2021

Skipping Audio during Park mode

I have this same issue, I think the cars wireless communication with the cameras are interfering with the Bluetooth signal for the phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:47 PM   #9
nord1899
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I've yet to find any sort of solution here. Some places online, like r/AndroidAuto have suggested playing with the BT version in the developer options, no change for me. Trying different versions of Android Auto on my Samsung S20 has resulted in no changes.

What I do find odd is there are certain locations when I drive by them, it will cause the connection to stutter and possibly drop. Almost every single time I go by there. I know of at least 3 in my area that will do this. So I'm thinking there is either something cellular going on or possibly just such a strong external signal that it overwhelms the car's wifi. I know one of the locations has a hospital on one side of the road and a very congested cellular tower on the other. I also don't think it has to do with the Bluetooth signal either, as that connection seems to stay connected, its the wifi portion that fails.

Anyway, no improvement. Maybe when I decide to change to whatever latest Android phone is in a years time or something it will be better.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 12:52 AM   #10
Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

I have the same issue when using wireless carplay to listen to music/spotify/pandora. Music will start stuttering and cutting out. Solution is to pause it briefly but then it will do the same thing a few minutes later. Sometimes it seems to fix itself just when I pick up the phone, but that could be coincidence. Almost makes wonder if it's some issue with to the phone being kept in the cupholder area, but the idea that there wouldn't be good signal there seems ridiculous.

Tried on multiple phones including the newest one and a couple year old one. Same issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:00 AM   #11
Rolie
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

I tried working with BMW to fix it on my brand new x3 over the course of 6 months.

When the dealership's own service staff say their cars do the same thing (thinking that makes it ok!?), then i refuse to accept the car until it is fixed. A case is escalated to BMW Australia, who then escalate to BMW AG and they are all happy to say nothing is wrong... see attached docket.

The solution;
Assessed against this problem and the myriad of other quality issues BMW say are "normal", I sold the POS and won't ever consider buying another BMW again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

It’s a sign of the times that we judge a car by how well a phone connects but at the same time you’ve got to hope they test the safety systems more exhaustively than the communication options. It does a lot of damage to the brand when simple connectivity isn’t reliable. I love the car but these foibles annoy too.
      07-18-2021, 12:47 AM   #13
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I recently experienced the same stuttering audio with my 2021 M340i while playing music through android auto and spotify (free). I generally don't use android auto for listening to music so it's not a big concern to me. I'm thinking about renewing spotify premium again.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #14
dreamtheater39
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X4 M Sport X 3.0d

I have the same annoying issue too. Really hope a newer Android auto will address this

On a lighter note....was trying to figure when this really happens....coincidentally....
it stuttered frequently when I floored the pedal....wondering if the radio waves can't catch up with the bimmer rapidly accelerating away :P
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
mariocaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i 2021

Same problem here with a X4 M40i 2021, hope someone can solve it and tell us the solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #16
Probe1053
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) 2.0d M sport

Hi All,
Exactly the same issues running AA with a Samsung Galaxy S20 5G. Really frustrating. I was due a phone upgrade and due to some other issues with the Galaxy I decided to go for an iPhone 12 next. Absolutely no issues since changing the phone and CarPlay looks great.
Reading this thread shows that the Android problem is not an isolated issue and BMW need to sort this!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #17
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Suggest trying to use your Android phone both via the Bluetooth and USB hard wire simultaneously. I can't used Android Auto in my 2019 X3 since that was when BMW did not incorporate it. However, in a rental with Android Auto, it only worked flawlessly when I had my Samsung S21 Ultra connected both by the Bluetooth and the USB.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #18
dreamtheater39
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X4 M Sport X 3.0d

The latest beta version of Android auto seems to have solved it. No more stutters finally!!!

Version 6.7.xxxxx

You can sign up to the beta program for Android auto now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #19
e90dude1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheater39 View Post
The latest beta version of Android auto seems to have solved it. No more stutters finally!!!

Version 6.7.xxxxx

You can sign up to the beta program for Android auto now.

Unfortunately I downloaded the version above of AA and I still get the stuttering audio...:-(
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:55 AM   #20
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Wanted to share something with you because I had been searching for a fix since last week and followed some recommendations without help.

I had the same issue in my '21 M5. I downloaded the APK below and now it works without any issues.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-apk-download/

In the M5, I noticed that the stuttering would usually start when I changed volume or moved away from AA to do something on the BMW interface and while music was playing in the background.

Before you can install the APK above, you may need to enable installing APKs from "unknown sources."
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #21
mariocaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Wanted to share something with you because I had been searching for a fix since last week and followed some recommendations without help.

I had the same issue in my '21 M5. I downloaded the APK below and now it works without any issues.

In the M5, I noticed that the stuttering would usually start when I changed volume or moved away from AA to do something on the BMW interface and while music was playing in the background.

Before you can install the APK above, you may need to enable installing APKs from "unknown sources."
Hi, please could you tell me how I can install it ? I download the file and put it in a USB ?? and then ?? thank you so much!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 03:03 PM   #22
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariocaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post

Hi, please could you tell me how I can install it ? I download the file and put it in a USB ?? and then ?? thank you so much!!!
You download the APK directly to your mobile and then select "Install" but you have to enable the developer option to permit the install
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0