BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #23
AZM40i
Silver Bullet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac328 View Post
Anyone notice some noise when turning left it happens every now and then.
I have noticed this noise sometimes in my 2021. It is usually when I get home and I am backing into my driveway with the wheel turned to the left. The noise happens more when I am running auto hold. So it makes sense that it is brake related. The noise barely every happens if I have auto hold off. I always thought it was just auto hold disengaging as the car starts to roll. But it sounds like others are hearing the noise, possibly with auto hold off? It would be great to get some clarification on everyone's auto hold setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:53 PM   #24
DBahonjic
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Any update on if the replacement of the caliper actually addressed this noise? I have fell victim to such noise just recently after having the car parked for about 10 days.

As the noise is sporadic I do believe it will be tough for the dealer to address this.

Any insight will be welcomed.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #25
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Did this fix the issue for you?

I've also had this issue for a long time and the dealer still can't reproduce it. Might have to get them to jump in the car after I drive it around. For me, it only happens after driving in stop and go traffic for at least 30 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU3EYS View Post
I've been having this problem for about 9 months or so. Thought it was the stock summer rims/tires combo as noise disappeared when I put my 19" winters on, and it reappeared this spring when the summers went back on. Brought it to the dealer 5 times and they could never recreate it, and despite listening to the videos I had taken, didn't really seem to have much clue.

Finally I realized that it only happened after driving the car 10-15 minutes, so definitely heat related. And with it being worse when turning left, had be in the front and maybe steering related. Got them to drive my car right after I arrived so the car was hot and they could hear it.

Here's what they found: one of the pistons on the driver's side front brake caliper wasn't retracting fully and so occasionally when the brakes heated up, the pad would rub a bit on the disc. And the retracting fault was intermittent. The sound has been getting progressively worse and more frequent, it would seem as the seal to the piston was broken and so it was loosing hydraulic pressure and getting contaminated.

In any event, they've ordered a new caliper for me, so when it comes in and gets installed I'll let y'all know if this indeed fixes the problem!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #26
AZM40i
Silver Bullet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVTee View Post
Nope, but I'll raise it again when I go into service in a few months. I've recorded a bunch of videos now so they don't have any excuse to say there's nothing wrong when there's obviously something wrong. I have a 2019 so yes, it's also been 2 years.
Okay, so yesterday I got to dealer and they told me, this might be a problem with Gear camshaft. When it is heated, this strange howl appears on the first gear. I have this sound on a speed 0-10 km/h, especially while driving in a traffic jam. But they need to check it, so I leave my car next week, I will update the situation when it's done.
Quote:
I've been having this problem for about 9 months or so. Thought it was the stock summer rims/tires combo as noise disappeared when I put my 19" winters on, and it reappeared this spring when the summers went back on. Brought it to the dealer 5 times and they could never recreate it, and despite listening to the videos I had taken, didn't really seem to have much clue.

Finally I realized that it only happened after driving the car 10-15 minutes, so definitely heat related. And with it being worse when turning left, had be in the front and maybe steering related. Got them to drive my car right after I arrived so the car was hot and they could hear it.

Here's what they found: one of the pistons on the driver's side front brake caliper wasn't retracting fully and so occasionally when the brakes heated up, the pad would rub a bit on the disc. And the retracting fault was intermittent. The sound has been getting progressively worse and more frequent, it would seem as the seal to the piston was broken and so it was loosing hydraulic pressure and getting contaminated.

In any event, they've ordered a new caliper for me, so when it comes in and gets installed I'll let y'all know if this indeed fixes the problem!
Looking for an update on this. Did you ever get rid of the noise?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #27
BLU3EYS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i

Happy to report that the new caliper has fixed the problem! For the most part anyway. There were a couple of days in the late fall where the sound recurred. But a new caliper definitely is an improvement.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:25 PM   #28
BubbaTree
Steve
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 - G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac328 View Post
We got a comedian here
Yeah, well, that guy doesn't know how tough you have to be to drive a 528e! Had one and loved it for years. Anyway, at least your horn doesn't blow when you hit the brakes like my buddy's Corvette! lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #29
Det013
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBahonjic View Post
Any update on if the replacement of the caliper actually addressed this noise? I have fell victim to such noise just recently after having the car parked for about 10 days.

As the noise is sporadic I do believe it will be tough for the dealer to address this.

Any insight will be welcomed.

Thanks!

Forward to 1 minute. Ignore wife's comment at end re brakes. Only happens after sitting for a long time eg. overnight. Will make noise on accelerating, decelerating, straight line, turning and braking. Went to Doncaster BMW (Melbourne Australia) played them audio. They have no idea. did a check and found nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:48 PM   #30
live
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i, 2018 X3 M40i

Has anyone get this fixed by replacing the caliper except BLU3EYS. Mine has this issue for about 2 years and will be out of warranty soon. Hopefully could get this fixed before that.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 04:54 PM   #31
DBahonjic
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by live View Post
Has anyone get this fixed by replacing the caliper except BLU3EYS. Mine has this issue for about 2 years and will be out of warranty soon. Hopefully could get this fixed before that.
BLU3EYS what dealer in the GTA did you deal with? I am in Hamilton and my local dealer hasn't been much help.

Also, please do report if the noise has come back now with the warmer weather in Ontario as I am certain the noise goes away in the winter.

Best,

DB
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #32
DBahonjic
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by live View Post
Just noticed your in Burlington... I have also been trying to get this rectified for over a year now but not much luck with Budds. I was advised last time that the software update would address this...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 12:24 AM   #33
live
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBahonjic View Post
Just noticed your in Burlington... I have also been trying to get this rectified for over a year now but not much luck with Budds. I was advised last time that the software update would address this...
Hi buddy, I bought this car at St. Catharines but moved to Toronto after that. I have tried DT BMW and Parkview, and they both said they could not duplicate this issue. I will have a last try before my warranty ends in Aug. This is definitely a mechanical other than a software issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 09:54 PM   #34
Gajenator
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

I've been having this issue since I bought the car new from BMW Kingsway Australia back in November 2018, and have been complaining for the past 3 years now and the answer has always been the same from BMW that they cannot replicate the issue.

So far we were able to replicate the issue twice when we did a road test with BMW tech and I've already had the entire steering rack replaced. I've also asked them to replace the brake pads and disks at my expense just to rule out the brakes being the fault and so far no luck in resolving the problem.

Now the car has been with BMW Kingsway for the past 3 weeks and there has been no real update on the fault. it's about time BMW looked into a replacement for the vehicle as the sounds can and will cause the resale of the vehicle to be quite difficult and as per ACCC law, the seller should Repair, Replace or Refund for Major defects.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/pr...-refund-cancel

Anyone else knows if there is a fix out there for this issue
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 07:03 AM   #35
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
I will chime in here. My 2021 M40i has the same groaning sound when it’s warmed up. So far my dealer has had it 3 times and has replaced the passenger side brakes and rotors (first visit) and the caliper (second visit). The third visit they kept my X3 for a week while I was out of town, and still no diagnosis. Left turns are the worst and takes a few more miles to make noise when it is cold out. The other key is that if your are braking the noise goes completely away! Since I bought mine I have it well documented with my dealer who has always been great, after my vehicles are out of warrantee. I love this SAV, and will take it back in the spring for further testing. Very annoying for sure when you are in a parking lot and making your presence known with a fog horn and not your exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #36
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

In my old Macan, they had major Transfer case issues. Backing up and making a tight turn, you could feel a shutter in the steering wheel and a sound like a brake issue. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #37
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Did they check the bearings?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 04:44 AM   #38
WHITEUNDERARM
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [10.00]
2022   [10.00]
Needing to revive this thread. My car has had this noise for a few months but it has progressively gotten worse to the point that it’s annoyingly loud while driving at slow or freeway speeds….has anyone else had a resolution to this issue as yet? This thread has conflicting ideas about what it could be….its a groaning noise and only occurs when the car is warm. Also it comes and goes depending on angle of steering….it does not sound like a brake issue as it feels like it’s beneath me and I feel it through the steering wheel…although when applying the brake the sound goes away…I have noticed a small oil leak from the transfer case…any help would be appreciated…I want to send the car in to the dealer but from past experience and that of others the car will come back without the issue being resolved…
      03-15-2024, 01:34 AM   #39
WHITEUNDERARM
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [10.00]
2022   [10.00]
Update:

Faulty brake booster. Caused the brake to be applied ever so slightly which in turn caused a warpped disk.