BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Shifter install DIY

Hey guys,

For anyone who was able to install the cf shifter by themselves, how did you remove he main black trim?

I can't seem to get this thing off!

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Pardon my ignorance, but shouldn't you be trying to remove the silver parts & not the black part(s)? The CF is for the sides, no? I could be wrong, but maybe that's why you're not able to remove the black bits?

EDIT: To clarify, what I meant to say was perhaps the silver bits need to be removed first, then the black bits could be removed?

EDIT #2: Ok, never mind! I clearly don't know what I'm talking about lol...here's a how-to link from an M5 forum member who changed his shifter to CF.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1681078
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv

Last edited by BMWZ4; 07-02-2020 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
dhurng407.00
      07-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (6MT) & X3MC

I popped off the black piece by inserting two precision flat head screw drivers, one on the left side and one on the right side of the horizontal seam at the bottom of the black cover piece (below the ///M) and lifting both upward. It was scary doing it as I was afraid I was going to break or scratch something, but after applying quite a bit of force it popped off.
The approach above looks like possibly a more refined approach. Here's some more pics if it helps...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BMWZ41909.50
dhurng407.00
      07-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but shouldn't you be trying to remove the silver parts & not the black part(s)? The CF is for the sides, no? I could be wrong, but maybe that's why you're not able to remove the black bits?

EDIT: To clarify, what I meant to say was perhaps the silver bits need to be removed first, then the black bits could be removed?

EDIT #2: Ok, never mind! I clearly don't know what I'm talking about lol...here's a how-to link from an M5 forum member who changed his shifter to CF.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1681078
Wow thanks for sharing that! No i appreciate it regardless and yah I was following IND's Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown2020 View Post
I popped off the black piece by inserting two precision flat head screw drivers, one on the left side and one on the right side of the horizontal seam at the bottom of the black cover piece (below the ///M) and lifting both upward. It was scary doing it as I was afraid I was going to break or scratch something, but after applying quite a bit of force it popped off.
The approach above looks like possibly a more refined approach. Here's some more pics if it helps...
Thank you! So yah I actually started from the top first and definitely not a good idea, so then I tried the bottom like you mentioned.

Unfortunately it was so difficult to get a flathead under and make it pop that I did scratch and ship some parts of the shifter :/

It did eventually fly off though. Thanks for sharing those pics!
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50