BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #23
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Good news - so ~$40 for the software and that's it assuming you have cables already?

And did you get the recent dealer update done yet?
I do break in service here soon, and production date was Nov 19. So I don't know for sure. I will post after break in service and let you know. And yes you should have the ENET cable already. I use this one, any ENET to OBD should work:
"New 2M Ethernet to OBD Interface Cable E-SYS ICOM Coding F-series for BMW ENET"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #24
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd306 View Post
I do break in service here soon, and production date was Nov 19. So I don't know for sure. I will post after break in service and let you know. And yes you should have the ENET cable already. I use this one, any ENET to OBD should work:
"New 2M Ethernet to OBD Interface Cable E-SYS ICOM Coding F-series for BMW ENET"
Cool thanks. I will take a look at this once my break in service is complete (Friday).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #25
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M Competition

Agree best wait until after running in service in case dealer gets weird, but Thomas is very helpful if you do have any problems and need to reinstall (he sorted my M2 after it was wiped when they replaced the HK amp under warranty and installed a software update that wiped my CarPlay). He always replies quickly on WhatsApp. I've had his CarPlay running in my X3MC since March with no issues at all. Full screen CarPlay, works great.
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #26
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Looks awesome! I'm going to have to do this. Quick question though - why would BMW restrict this from the factory? Seems like a weird decision if the hardware can support it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #27
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Looks awesome! I'm going to have to do this. Quick question though - why would BMW restrict this from the factory? Seems like a weird decision if the hardware can support it.
Just to be annoying. Idrive 6 woes.

My wife's M340 with Idrive 7 has full screen carplay out of the gate.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #28
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
Quote:
I recall reading another thread in the G01 forum that the full screen carplay messed up after the recall update. Any concerns here? Let me see if I can dig it up...
It shouldn't do anything other than possibly revert back to stock.
Correct. I did mine prior to the dealer update. After the update, it was back to stock. I ran the patch again and it's back to fullscreen now.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #29
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto2k3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
Quote:
I recall reading another thread in the G01 forum that the full screen carplay messed up after the recall update. Any concerns here? Let me see if I can dig it up...
It shouldn't do anything other than possibly revert back to stock.
Correct. I did mine prior to the dealer update. After the update, it was back to stock. I ran the patch again and it's back to fullscreen now.
Awesome, glad to know it for sure can be re-ran. To me that's the benefit over the in person remote meeting. No need to coordinate after each update and pay again and again. Thanks!
      05-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #30
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
WOW! This was so easy, and I did it myself without having to meet up with a coder and do a remote session. I'd call this an automated cloud installer. All you need when doing it is a laptop, internet connection, and ENET cable. Paid ~$40. Total process was less than 5 minutes if i didnt document. Another benefit I see to this versus a remote coder doing it, is that after a software update we could do it ourselves again - assuming no issues created after the update

Software Version Info:
2020 X4M with CarPlay already enabled.
Navigation Software Version:
North America
BMW Group
Road Map NORTH AMERICA EVO 2019-3
NBTevo_U19384I

1. Visit "OEM navigations dot com"
2. Sign up for their newsletter to get a 10% discount code.
3. Buy the "CHANGE SPLIT SCREEN CARPLAY TO FULLSCREEN - CABLE CODING"
- the USB method (download an update on a USB and run update) seems to not work on any X3M/X4M due to a BMW update.
-- this website will check you VIN and only allow you to do what works for your car.
4. After purchasing, an email came about 20 mins later with the link to the how to document and software (seems automated).
5. I connected my ENET cable to the laptop, made sure I had a good internet connection on my laptop, started the car and left it running, turned off wifi on my phone (to disconnect carplay, probably not necessary, but just in case)
6. Then disabled my anti-virus on my laptop(very important), and followed the document steps that were provided to run the program. It asked to open firewall ports (I allowed it), connected to their cloud servers, did some magic, and started running the update.
7. The idrive screen switched to a blue screen when running. It only took total of 1 minute to run (my computer is fast). Then it restarted iDrive once.
8. Then i closed the program after it said success, re-enabled wifi on my iphone, connected it back to idrive and had full screen CarPlay!
9. I restarted the car once to double check if there were any issues, but there weren't any and full screen carplay continued to work.
10. Re-enabled the antivirus on my computer. The anti-virus will continue to pick the program up as a virus. You can add an exclusion for this.

For good measure:
1. I checked for any codes and had 2 (not in the dash, just the scanner picked them up) and cleared those. I don't think it's related to this, but wanted to mention it - I have done some coding on my car so maybe related to that.
2. I ran a full anti-virus scan in case and it found nothing.
3. I deleted the firewall rules the program created.
4. Drove around and no issues with iDrive and no more codes.
This is great. I just installed Fusion and Windows on my Mac and will do the same. Waiting for my cable to come in tomorrow.

Did this also enable Video in Motion? Some installers say that full screen car play will enable it for free as a bonus. Not sure if it’s something they’re doing for free or if enabling full screen enables video in motion also.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #31
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebap3 View Post
Quote:
WOW! This was so easy, and I did it myself without having to meet up with a coder and do a remote session. I'd call this an automated cloud installer. All you need when doing it is a laptop, internet connection, and ENET cable. Paid ~$40. Total process was less than 5 minutes if i didnt document. Another benefit I see to this versus a remote coder doing it, is that after a software update we could do it ourselves again - assuming no issues created after the update

Software Version Info:
2020 X4M with CarPlay already enabled.
Navigation Software Version:
North America
BMW Group
Road Map NORTH AMERICA EVO 2019-3
NBTevo_U19384I

1. Visit "OEM navigations dot com"
2. Sign up for their newsletter to get a 10% discount code.
3. Buy the "CHANGE SPLIT SCREEN CARPLAY TO FULLSCREEN - CABLE CODING"
- the USB method (download an update on a USB and run update) seems to not work on any X3M/X4M due to a BMW update.
-- this website will check you VIN and only allow you to do what works for your car.
4. After purchasing, an email came about 20 mins later with the link to the how to document and software (seems automated).
5. I connected my ENET cable to the laptop, made sure I had a good internet connection on my laptop, started the car and left it running, turned off wifi on my phone (to disconnect carplay, probably not necessary, but just in case)
6. Then disabled my anti-virus on my laptop(very important), and followed the document steps that were provided to run the program. It asked to open firewall ports (I allowed it), connected to their cloud servers, did some magic, and started running the update.
7. The idrive screen switched to a blue screen when running. It only took total of 1 minute to run (my computer is fast). Then it restarted iDrive once.
8. Then i closed the program after it said success, re-enabled wifi on my iphone, connected it back to idrive and had full screen CarPlay!
9. I restarted the car once to double check if there were any issues, but there weren't any and full screen carplay continued to work.
10. Re-enabled the antivirus on my computer. The anti-virus will continue to pick the program up as a virus. You can add an exclusion for this.

For good measure:
1. I checked for any codes and had 2 (not in the dash, just the scanner picked them up) and cleared those. I don't think it's related to this, but wanted to mention it - I have done some coding on my car so maybe related to that.
2. I ran a full anti-virus scan in case and it found nothing.
3. I deleted the firewall rules the program created.
4. Drove around and no issues with iDrive and no more codes.
This is great. I just installed Fusion and Windows on my Mac and will do the same. Waiting for my cable to come in tomorrow.

Did this also enable Video in Motion? Some installers say that full screen car play will enable it for free as a bonus. Not sure if it's something they're doing for free or if enabling full screen enables video in motion also.
This is just full screen carplay and i already had carplay. For coding get "Bimmercode" and use your phone so easy too! The old days of complex coding are gone.

I have Bimmercode with a lightning to ethernet cable for my iPhone then connect my ENET cable to that. They have a wireless option but for coding or flashing I always want wired plus is much faster.

Lightning to ethernet adapter i use:

Lighting Ethernet Adapter Phone Ethernet Adapter Network Pad Ethernet RJ45 100Mbps by Enbia Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK8Q36S

Here are the coding options for X4M using Bimmercode:
https://bimmercode.app/cars/g02/
      05-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #32
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This is just full screen carplay and i already had carplay. For coding get "Bimmercode" and use your phone so easy too! The old days of complex coding are gone.

I have Bimmercode with a lightning to ethernet cable for my iPhone then connect my ENET cable to that. They have a wireless option but for coding or flashing I always want wired plus is much faster.

Lightning to ethernet adapter i use:

Lighting Ethernet Adapter Phone Ethernet Adapter Network Pad Ethernet RJ45 100Mbps by Enbia Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK8Q36S

Here are the coding options for X4M using Bimmercode:
https://bimmercode.app/cars/g02/
Yea I already downloaded the app and ordered the Ethernet adapter for the iPhone. I have both of those cables coming tomorrow.
I don’t need VIM and already have CarPlay also just want the get the full screen mode. I wish bimmercode would do that.
From what I ready there isn’t really much that bimmercode offers for the F98. At least not much that seems useful to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #33
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Bimmercode can't do it because it's not just turning on an existing feature. It's modifying a part of the firmware something that isn't there - apparently it's changing a carplay.ini file for the resolution and maybe some other file.

I really like some features i coded.
No warning on cam or idrive
One short press close tailgate
No honking when car is running and locking
No mirror tilt on reverse
No delay for rolling down windows using keyfob or comfort access.
Shortened lock sound
And custom "M" interior lights. Top led is red and bottom cyan-blue.
      05-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #34
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

Had full screen CarPlay installed today, maps and Apple Music looks much better in full screen. Also had the amber removed from headlights and anti dazzle headlights activated thanks to Steven at codemybimmer.ca . Was not able to do either of those through bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #35
Lyndon_X3M
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4SW View Post
Yep. Did mine a month or so ago. Works great. CarPlay on the X3M Comp seems to work really well, great iDrive screen. Works much better than on my old M2.

I used a guy in the UK who did my M2. He sent me a file. I uploaded it using cable to OBD port from MacBook Pro running Windows 10. Worked first time.
Quote:
Yep. Did mine a month or so ago. Works great. CarPlay on the X3M Comp seems to work really well, great iDrive screen. Works much better than on my old M2.

I used a guy in the UK who did my M2. He sent me a file. I uploaded it using cable to OBD port from MacBook Pro running Windows 10. Worked first time.
Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered the cable off amazon and ordered full screen activation from same UK guy.

Used Windows 10 on MacBook Pro using Bootcamp to load Windows. Had an issue at first with Ethernet being recognised on Windows but soon fixed by updating iCloud for Windows.

Full screen apple car play has made such a huge difference and genuinely want to use it now. Wasn't sure before.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #36
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep

I got my cables today and did the full screen CarPlay that sd306 wrote about. Everything went super smoothly and only took 2 minutes at most.
The only thing was that I never received the file link Email and had to start a chat from the website and then they sent it. Waited 4 hours before I wrote them about the file.

Soooo happy now about the full screen CarPlay. Waze and google maps looks great.
Appreciate 2
sd306378.50
      05-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #37
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Bimmercode can't do it because it's not just turning on an existing feature. It's modifying a part of the firmware something that isn't there - apparently it's changing a carplay.ini file for the resolution and maybe some other file.

I really like some features i coded.
No warning on cam or idrive
One short press close tailgate
No honking when car is running and locking
No mirror tilt on reverse
No delay for rolling down windows using keyfob or comfort access.
Shortened lock sound
And custom "M" interior lights. Top led is red and bottom cyan-blue.
FYI, this feature is available by switching the mirror adjustment selector to the drivers side (pretty sure it’s the drivers side which disables the tilt on reverse).
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #38
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon_X3M View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered the cable off amazon and ordered full screen activation from same UK guy.

Used Windows 10 on MacBook Pro using Bootcamp to load Windows. Had an issue at first with Ethernet being recognised on Windows but soon fixed by updating iCloud for Windows.

Full screen apple car play has made such a huge difference and genuinely want to use it now. Wasn't sure before.
Glad it's all worked out for you. I must admit I was slightly worried about using windows on a Mac with Bootcamp to do this, but it worked perfectly, no issues.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #39
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just had break in service, there was no update - prod date is Nov 2019. Full screen CarPlay and all my coding remained too.
Appreciate 3
      06-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #40
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

I’m on the fence on doing this. With the non-full screen I can put Waze up and split screen in audio info. Where the home screen (AirPlay) shows a map, audio info and quick pick icons, is there a way for the map to be waze?
Otherwise waze would take whole screen? Anyone else having the same hesitation?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:17 AM   #41
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
I’m on the fence on doing this. With the non-full screen I can put Waze up and split screen in audio info. Where the home screen (AirPlay) shows a map, audio info and quick pick icons, is there a way for the map to be waze?
I want to start using waze many people like it. I can test and see what it shows.
      06-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #42
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
I'm on the fence on doing this. With the non-full screen I can put Waze up and split screen in audio info. Where the home screen (AirPlay) shows a map, audio info and quick pick icons, is there a way for the map to be waze?
I want to start using waze many people like it. I can test and see what it shows.
Waze is full screen only, looks like i can split screen with google maps, but only tested sitting still. Here is a screenshot - which is neat if you take it with a iphone it'll grab the carplay screen too.
Attached Images

06-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #43
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

When does/did the X3M get full screen CarPlay support from the factory? (USA)
      06-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #44
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
When does/did the X3M get full screen CarPlay support from the factory? (USA)
It doesn't it's a mod. You can read my post about how to do it.