BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
cheezsandwiches
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m6 grand coupe

X4MC: Rattling and creaking sounds from dash

My car is literally 2 months old and I have noticed a pretty loud creaking or rattle noise from the dash. I can reproduce the sound at a stand still by gently nudging the center console iDrive LCD. Anyone else experience this? If so, how did you resolve this? Seems to be worse when dashboard has been in sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Unless you want to work on placing shims or taking it apart, that's a trip to the dealer I think.

I have a very subtle but near constant vibration rattle from the tiny center roof panel most rearward near SOS button which I'm battling. I noticed it first when driving away from dealer lot (doh!). So far my rubber tape isn't doing the trick. I have a feeling this will be a car that easily develops rattles given the fairly stiff suspension. M3s are notorious for this kind of thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezsandwiches View Post
My car is literally 2 months old and I have noticed a pretty loud creaking or rattle noise from the dash. I can reproduce the sound at a stand still by gently nudging the center console iDrive LCD. Anyone else experience this? If so, how did you resolve this? Seems to be worse when dashboard has been in sunlight.
I have a rattle / creaking sound too but it's coming where the dash meets the windshield, more towards passenger side. Need to put more felt in between the two.
Also have a sound coming from sunroof, front part.
I am waiting for my SA to come back to work and then I will bring it in.
I will have to see if mine does what your describing and follow back up.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
siwilson
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Unless you want to work on placing shims or taking it apart, that's a trip to the dealer I think.

I have a very subtle but near constant vibration rattle from the tiny center roof panel most rearward near SOS button which I'm battling. I noticed it first when driving away from dealer lot (doh!). So far my rubber tape isn't doing the trick. I have a feeling this will be a car that easily develops rattles given the fairly stiff suspension. M3s are notorious for this kind of thing.
Did you get this resolved? I have the exact same issue on my X3M and it's driving me nuts. The car has been back 3 times and it's still not resolved. I have kicked up a fuss since the 3rd time, and the car is due to go back for more exploratory work.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

My 440i GC series has the same problem and my my previous 335i had the same problem as well.

These problems seem to have no allegiance to any specific BMW model.

These rattling / creaking / sometimes droning sounds are worse on certain pavements, especially here in Southern California. Unfortunately, these symptoms can be attributed to cost reduction efforts.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwilson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post

Did you get this resolved? I have the exact same issue on my X3M and it's driving me nuts. The car has been back 3 times and it's still not resolved. I have kicked up a fuss since the 3rd time, and the car is due to go back for more exploratory work.
Yes fixed my issue. See discussion here:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720906
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
WillOs
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
Noticed the dash centre loudspeaker grille / mesh vibrates at 2500rpm exactly.
Cars got 300kms on the clock. Hope its not something that is going to keep reoccurring after i take it back for the first Service and get them to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:50 AM   #8
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 E30 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillOs View Post
Noticed the dash centre loudspeaker grille / mesh vibrates at 2500rpm exactly.
Cars got 300kms on the clock. Hope its not something that is going to keep reoccurring after i take it back for the first Service and get them to fix it.
I had this same problem. In fact when in Sport + it would rattle worse due to ASD. Had this resolute during my RIS. The tech popped the grill off and installed felt around the edges and popped it back in. Good luck!
Appreciate 0