BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #23
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Looks good
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      06-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #24
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Had to admit defeat at trying a DIY install of what I thought would be a straightforward swap-out of the plastic OEM Diffuser. That takes about two minutes to remove and put back on. After 2 hours of trying to place my new CFRP version on in the same fashion, I realized it clearly wasn't going to work the same way.

Appreciate r33_RGSport , AlexFL and noushy discussing in PMs. Turns out, the only way this can be installed is by completely removing the bumper, probably because the tabs on the CFRP aren't flexible and have a different shape, so even though they are in the same location as the plastic version, they're unable to flex through the curves needed to get up under the lower bumper's edge to catch the tab.

After my 7 hour experience with the BavSound upgrade, during which I swore I never want to see another BMW clip again, there was no way I was gonna tackle the bumper. I know some have accomplished it when they installed their Stealth Hitches, , but I am not going to get into that type of project by myself again. Fortunately a local Dealership's Service team offered to assist and did a great job. Worth every penny of the 2 hour labor charge.

I'm really pleased how it turned out. I wasn't quite sure how the CFRP would look against the BSM as I don't have the decorative bits elsewhere, but this honestly looks like it came from the factory (and honestly, the Comp version probably should have). It may not be as aggressive-appearing as some would prefer, but I like that it came from BMW M Division's design team which no doubt used at least their wind-field simulations (if not the wind-tunnel itself) to arrive at this form - a capability it seems few aftermarket firms are able to utilize.

So here's a few images from early this morning to add to the ones Alex and Noushy have already shared.
Looks good.
Glad everything worked out.
Agree my dealer tech did the install along with exhaust and mirror caps 3 hours total time in labor. Not complaiming it's perfect and if anything happened they would have covered it.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      06-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #25
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

I posted this elsewhere but it looks like yours lined up fine as well.

Noushy
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12967.50
Will Pwr748.50
-JLT-3445.50
      06-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #26
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post

Noushy
Thanks, Noushy, it did. But I hesitate to think what it would've looked like if I had tried the bumper removal and install.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      06-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #27
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
Thanks, Noushy, it did. But I hesitate to think what it would've looked like if I had tried the bumper removal and install.
You could do it not that hard. My tech gets the bumper off in like 15 minutes or less.

Noushy
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      06-17-2020, 06:45 AM   #28
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You could do it not that hard. My tech gets the bumper off in like 15 minutes or less.

Noushy
No doubt he can, but he's also an experienced Tech with a full shop and supplies and has probably done what, over 30 removals and re-installs, if not more? And my experienced Tech used 2 hours (and yes, I did talk with him and he used every bit of that time, as well as needing to replace 6 expanding rivets on the re-install). Although I enjoy learning and DIY as a number of my projects shared over the years would attest, I'm done with trying to tackle big projects involving my expensive X3MC after just reading through instructions on newtis. Just isn't worth it to me, but definitely kudos to others who skillfully manage such in their garages.

I get the old adage, 'see one, do one, teach one', but rarely has it ever been 'read about how to do one, do one, teach one'.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #29
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
No doubt he can, but he's also an experienced Tech with a full shop and supplies and has probably done what, over 30 removals and re-installs, if not more? And my experienced Tech used 2 hours (and yes, I did talk with him and he used every bit of that time, as well as needing to replace 6 expanding rivets on the re-install). Although I enjoy learning and DIY as a number of my projects shared over the years would attest, I'm done with trying to tackle big projects involving my expensive X3MC after just reading through instructions on newtis. Just isn't worth it to me, but definitely kudos to others who skillfully manage such in their garages.

I get the old adage, 'see one, do one, teach one', but rarely has it ever been 'read about how to do one, do one, teach one'.
Many more than that look at my M8 for ALP install...
Front and rear off and he did the same for the install on the X3MC
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Max Well4734.50
r33_RGSport12967.50
      06-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #30
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Indeed - incredibly helpful to have a trusted installation resource at your service. They are a major contributor to the success (or failure) of modifications. Thanks for sharing the image.
Appreciate 1
noushy1657.00
      06-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #31
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Noushy

I'm having my ALP installed in my X3M next week. I didn't expect that much tear down...
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      06-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #32
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDBMW View Post
I'm having my ALP installed in my X3M next week. I didn't expect that much tear down...
Rather like going in for surgery - 'don't show me the images during the procedure of how you did it, just make sure I come out fine at the end.'
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #33
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDBMW View Post
Rather like going in for surgery - 'don't show me the images during the procedure of how you did it, just make sure I come out fine at the end.'
Well put!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #34
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed - incredibly helpful to have a trusted installation resource at your service. They are a major contributor to the success (or failure) of modifications. Thanks for sharing the image.
BTW sharing with you guys first as I really like the X3M group. The 8 group can be err stuffy at times. Same tech worked on the M8 last night and today fixing a buzzing cup holder and did an oil service and a little surprise. I think I am one of the first to have this in the US but sharing with you guys. He had to modify one of the crossbraces as the system is so large it is almost an inch larger than the M sport exhaust. Enjoy the sneak peek and yes it sounds awesome!

Noushy
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
AlexFL7837.00
-JLT-3445.50
pluckydks621.50
Max Well4734.50
r33_RGSport12967.50
      06-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #35
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BTW sharing with you guys first as I really like the X3M group. The 8 group can be err stuffy at times. Same tech worked on the M8 last night and today fixing a buzzing cup holder and did an oil service and a little surprise. I think I am one of the first to have this in the US but sharing with you guys. He had to modify one of the crossbraces as the system is so large it is almost an inch larger than the M sport exhaust. Enjoy the sneak peek and yes it sounds awesome!

Noushy
thanks for sharing. I love the new M8, very jealous. I can imagine the beautiful music it makes on full throttle
      07-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #36
larsmin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

How do you guys think about this LARTE design diffuser?
It might fit our X3M and work with the round tips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dhurng407.00
      07-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #37
larsmin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

and it's $1859.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #38
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmin View Post
How do you guys think about this LARTE design diffuser? It might fit our X3M and work with the round tips.
An aggressive appearance, but have to wonder how it'll affect aerodynamics at high speed. There must be a reason most SUV designs have smaller fins (or actually none) with a focus more on the overall slope as well as lengthening of the vehicle's lines. These include the Urus, Cayenne Turbo Coupe, F-Pace SVR, Macan, Aston Martin DBX, and Levante Trofeo.

No doubt M Division did aero testing (sim or wind tunnel) to derive their design, so for me, although I wanted a more aggressive look than the standard X3MC, I also wanted to have confidence that it would (should) actually improve airflow patterns and decrease drag. Have no idea, but hoping it does.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Quote:
How do you guys think about this LARTE design diffuser? It might fit our X3M and work with the round tips.
An aggressive appearance, but have to wonder how it'll affect aerodynamics at high speed. There must be a reason most SUV designs have smaller fins (or actually none) with a focus more on the overall slope as well as lengthening of the vehicle's lines. These include the Urus, Cayenne Turbo Coupe, F-Pace SVR, Macan, Aston Martin DBX, and Levante Trofeo.

No doubt M Division did aero testing (sim or wind tunnel) to derive their design, so for me, although I wanted a more aggressive look than the standard X3MC, I also wanted to have confidence that it would (should) actually improve airflow patterns and decrease drag. Have no idea, but hoping it does.
Contra-form over factor?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #40
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
Ugh...I see an MPE rear diffuser in my future. Not the near future, but the future.
You may want to hold tight. We hope to be releasing some RKP Rear Diffuser info in the very near future...
      07-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #41
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
How do you guys think about this LARTE design diffuser?
It might fit our X3M and work with the round tips.
Honestly, don't like it so much. Looks too aggressive and too overdone. You would need a really aggressive front splitter and stance to match it visually. For this price, I would rather get the MPE diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #42
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
You may want to hold tight. We hope to be releasing some RKP Rear Diffuser info in the very near future...
You guys may want to start shipping out items you presented (and people pre-ordered) months ago.
Appreciate 1
dhurng407.00
      07-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #43
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
You guys may want to start shipping out items you presented (and people pre-ordered) months ago.
We've been working really hard to get several products to market for the F97 and the current economic situation has only made things more complicated. We just started pre-orders for the RKP front lip a couple weeks ago and we're already manufacturing to fill those orders. Trust me when I say we're manufacturing as fast as possible, but COVID has severely limited capacity.
r33_RGSport12967.50
      07-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #44
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
We've been working really hard to get several products to market for the F97 and the current economic situation has only made things more complicated. We just started pre-orders for the RKP front lip a couple weeks ago and we're already manufacturing to fill those orders. Trust me when I say we're manufacturing as fast as possible, but COVID has severely limited capacity.
I can't wait for mine to get in
Appreciate 0