BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
dylonsays
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 & E92 M3

X3 windshield experiences

I have put less 2500 miles on the car and I'm about to get the windshield replaced for the 3rd time. All of these cracking experiences have been while traveling up to Tahoe. Cold temps and the typical sand that cal trans drops on the roads is causing this. The windshields seem very weak to me, wondering if this is an isolated incident.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
its known that bmw windshield is fragile.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
oneeighty
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylonsays View Post
I have put less 2500 miles on the car and I'm about to get the windshield replaced for the 3rd time. All of these cracking experiences have been while traveling up to Tahoe. Cold temps and the typical sand that cal trans drops on the roads is causing this. The windshields seem very weak to me, wondering if this is an isolated incident.
Hey Dylon -- same thing happened to me on the way home from Tahoe this weekend. Who has replaced the windshield for you? Wondering if you went to the dealership (who presumably contracts out the glass repair) or a dedicated auto glass place like Safelite? Interested in your experience, but bummed you've had so much of it!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

If you guys have the HUD, I recommend letting the dealer do it since the HUD require special windshield and calibration. It would be an expensive endeavor and I think I saw someone said $1600...

X3 M40i windshield replacement https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513188
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
dylonsays
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 & E92 M3

If its a known issue, BMW should be doing something about it- especially when this advertise this car as a capable vehicle off-road. FRUSTRATING.

I had the first last windshield replaced at the dealer and now I am going through the process with Safelight- which adds several other concerns (quality of installation, non-oem glass, etc).

My crack started on as a 1 inch crease near drivers side, bottom and has now grown to across the windshield to passenger side.

Has anyone replaced with non-OEM glass? What are the experiences?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylonsays View Post
If its a known issue, BMW should be doing something about it- especially when this advertise this car as a capable vehicle off-road. FRUSTRATING.

I had the first last windshield replaced at the dealer and now I am going through the process with Safelight- which adds several other concerns (quality of installation, non-oem glass, etc).

My crack started on as a 1 inch crease near drivers side, bottom and has now grown to across the windshield to passenger side.

Has anyone replaced with non-OEM glass? What are the experiences?
you can provide them with all proper info, you can request OEM glass as well.
Safelite will also ask you questions regarding what options your car is equip with. I have dealt with them since 04 with all of bmw cars.
Before they install windshield, double check they have correct one.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenders View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
If you guys have the HUD, I recommend letting the dealer do it since the HUD require special windshield and calibration. It would be an expensive endeavor and I think I saw someone said $1600...

X3 M40i windshield replacement https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513188
I called JN Phillips AutoGlass pre-emptively last week as I've been accumulating tiny chips across the windshield and wondered what I'd be in for. They said they typically perform the camera calibration as part of the insurance-covered service and in exceptions where they have issues they'll let you know and refer you to complete that at the dealer.
Time to add windshield insurance if you don't have that already...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

There is also a Kafas camera calibration step that has to be done.
      02-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I got three or four chips in the first month of ownership. Owned the previous car for five years without a single windshield issue

I got mine repaired by Safelite before the chips spread and its been okay ever since. Fingers crossed. Safelite did say if the windshield does eventually need to be replaced the cost of the repairs is put toward the replacement, which is nice, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: it varies on my mood 😊

Garage List
Recent rock chip ..have replacement glass policy but am going to have repaired by Safelite this go around and see how it turns out before replacing.
 | Driving Assistance Pkg| Driving Assistance Plus Pkg | Executive Pkg | Premium Pkg | F & R Heated Seats
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
 | Adaptive M Suspension
 | M Sport Diff | H K sound
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Time to add windshield insurance if you don't have that already...
Yep, luckily I have that and have used it at least twice on every car I've owned - I tried to delete my post but you are the fastest enter key in the west and beat me to it. I was fixated on their KAFAS calibration but I forgot to ask them about any challenges with HUD or if the special HUD OEM glass wasn't fully covered.
      02-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #12
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

My windshield is pitted all to hell at 5800 miles. Nothing significant....just bugs and fine road debris have caused it really.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #13
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

I was probably the one you saw replaced at 500 miles. A truck going the other way threw a rock at me.

$1600 from safelight. It was OEM bmw because it was the same year.

I paid the $50 deductible even though Geico said that we did not have windshield coverage. The agent was actually very cool. He said "you would not have windshield on your two $8k cars and not have on your $65k car" and covered it.

My first actual positive experience with auto insurance. Good stuff!
Paul
Appreciate 1
pej744593.00
      03-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just got another big chip in my windshield yesterday on the highway. I knew the trailer in front of me was a hazard before it even happened. I let off and gave them plenty of room but it wasn't enough. Driving on the highway shouldn't be this stressful. I've never been so worried about road debris before.

This one probably won't be repairable. Replacing the windshield should NOT be routine maintenance and its really making me question how long I want to own this car.

Is insurance really the best solution we have here?

Last edited by deladude; 03-08-2019 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: a word
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #15
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
I just got another big chip in my windshield yesterday on the highway. I knew the trailer in front of me was a hazard before it even happened. I let off and gave them plenty of room but it wasn't enough. Driving on the highway shouldn't be this stressful. I've never been so worried about road debris before.

This one probably won't be repairable. Replacing the windshield should NOT be routine maintenance and its really making me question how long I want to own this car.

Let me know when you find a vehicle with a windshield that won't get any stone chips or cracks.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #16
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

Let me know when you find a vehicle with a windshield that won't get any stone chips or cracks.
:

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The thread OP replaced his three times before the first oil change! You think that's okay? That's absurd. The thought that I might need to replace my windshield more frequently than my tires is not going to fly for a car I want to own for 5-10 years. Chips and cracks should be a rare exception, not a routine maintenance expense.

I owned a Subaru BRZ for five years, no chips or cracks. I owned a Mitsu Evo for 2 years, no chips or cracks. I owned an e36 for 6+ years, no chips or cracks. They all took plenty of hits on the highway without issue. I've owned the X3 for less than six months, five chips and one irreparable crack. Based on others experiences shared here this is not just bad luck.

Its the first issue thats making me question my ownership
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #18
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The thread OP replaced his three times before the first oil change! You think that's okay? That's absurd. The thought that I might need to replace my windshield more frequently than my tires is not going to fly for a car I want to own for 5-10 years. Chips and cracks should be a rare exception, not a routine maintenance expense.

I owned a Subaru BRZ for five years, no chips or cracks. I owned a Mitsu Evo for 2 years, no chips or cracks. I owned an e36 for 6+ years, no chips or cracks. They all took plenty of hits on the highway without issue. I've owned the X3 for less than six months, five chips and one irreparable crack. Based on others experiences shared here this is not just bad luck.

Its the first issue thats making me question my ownership
Sorry about your experience man. So is this still your original windshield with all the chips and now finally a crack that's not repairable? Maybe a stroke of bad luck,so hopefully the new windshield will take care of you better.

On the other hand, if the crack happened on a replacement windshield already, then we may need to think of some kind of aftermarket remedy...

I believe cost cutting (sometimes in the name of weight saving) in general makes all windshield thinner and weaker. SUV windshield being a bit more upright vs. more slanted angle for cars do not help either.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #19
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There is protective film for windshields, or racing tear offs. I’m seriously considering ppf; a pro detail shop will apply the product.

Here’s a link to the racing tear offs. https://protintshop.com/collections/frontpage?page=1
I’m curious about possible street use with this tear off product. Definitely need something with this super fragile windshield. After 6 years, my 2013 Civic has no chips. Go figure.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      03-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #20
willm
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have a new X3 (4 months) and the windshield cracked from the center - where the mirror and sensors are - on both sides. The BMW dealer said it is due to the weather.... I have never ever had cars that windshields crack like that due to weather. I am in San Jose California, and has been cold but we are not THAT cold like some parts of the USA.

Anyone else seen this?

BMW said it's not covered....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #21
thomaswolf
Registered
Rep

Frustrating Windshield Problems...

I have replaced my X3 M40i Windshield now Three Times (x3!!) within the first the year!!
I am hearing that the X3 M40i frame is too "rigid", and the lower to the ground X3 frame in combo with the windshield's steep angle all contribute.

Beginning to wonder if this model is a Lemon. Querried BMW National, but ... Crickets!

Tom W.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #22
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Isn't there a after market cover you can install on the windshield. Could have sworn someone posted about this a few months ago
Appreciate 0