BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #45
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
You guys may want to start shipping out items you presented (and people pre-ordered) months ago.
We've been working really hard to get several products to market for the F97 and the current economic situation has only made things more complicated. We just started pre-orders for the RKP front lip a couple weeks ago and we're already manufacturing to fill those orders. Trust me when I say we're manufacturing as fast as possible, but COVID has severely limited capacity.
Need to hurry. My customers are anxious to receive their order.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
aw3051441.50
      07-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #46
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Quote:
You guys may want to start shipping out items you presented (and people pre-ordered) months ago.
We've been working really hard to get several products to market for the F97 and the current economic situation has only made things more complicated. We just started pre-orders for the RKP front lip a couple weeks ago and we're already manufacturing to fill those orders. Trust me when I say we're manufacturing as fast as possible, but COVID has severely limited capacity.
Need to hurry. My customers are anxious to receive their order.
lol yea Ben hurry
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      07-02-2020, 01:52 AM   #47
larsmin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmin View Post
How do you guys think about this LARTE design diffuser?
It might fit our X3M and work with the round tips.
Honestly, don't like it so much. Looks too aggressive and too overdone. You would need a really aggressive front splitter and stance to match it visually. For this price, I would rather get the MPE diffuser.
Thank you for your opinions, Max Well and AlexFl.
Yes. That's why I'm hesitating and asking for opinions.
I'm going to wait for the RKP
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:23 AM   #48
larsmin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

I'm about to purchase a diffuser and thinking of between MPE and 3D design. :
I need you guys help in order to decide. Please advise me which one will look better with mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #49
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmin View Post
I'm about to purchase a diffuser and thinking of between MPE and 3D design. :
I need you guys help in order to decide. Please advise me which one will look better with mine.
Tough question if you are solely interested in which, "will look better with mine". That's always going to be subjective, so what I like vs what others prefer will vary across the board. But, since you asked, I'll share that I don't care for the horizontal projection sticking out on both sides. I get that it may seem to follow the side skirts theme but it appears overdone to me.

My other concern, which is the main one for why I went with M's OEM offering, is that I know that was thoroughly vetted in their wind tunnel and meshes with their overall aerodynamics. As Dr. Hennig stated in the interview I've shared previously [ bmw-m.com/en/topics/magazine-article-pool/how-bmw-m-tests-in-the-wind-tunnel.html ], 'The design of a vehicle’s front, underbody and cooling air ducts has a decisive influence. In these areas, we optimise the vehicle’s shape in the wind tunnel, sometimes to a matter of millimetres, in order to influence the flow of air in accordance with our design goals. In some places, this may mean that we make the vehicle’s shape rounder, for example, to prevent the flow from becoming detached. At other points, we deliberately bring tear-off edges to the vehicle, such as a front spoiler.' And further, he indicates, 'The basic aerodynamic shape of the bodywork has improved continuously in recent decades. This makes other factors, such as the aerodynamic optimisation of the underbody and the aerodynamic design of the rims, tyres and add-on parts, all the more important today. It is in these areas in particular that much more detailed aerodynamic work is being done today than in the past.' And finally, 'you always have to keep an eye on the whole vehicle. A change at the front of the vehicle can completely alter the flow around the rear – or vice versa. In general, the front and underbody of the vehicle take up 75 per cent of the development time in the wind tunnel.'

For me, looks are secondary to perceived improvement in the aerodynamics of my X3MC, so I'll always lean to M's offerings if I can afford to do so (which often becomes a deciding factor for others when aftermarket items may be significantly less expensive). And the argument could be made that any improvement in airflow and drag aren't going to be realized unless at high speed. A valid point for sure, but for me, this is something which enters into my thought process.

Last edited by Max Well; 08-24-2020 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Meant to change Dr. Hennig's text to italics
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #50
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Question for those who have installed the CFRP rear diffuser from M Division -

Does your 'kick to open tailgate' function still work? Mine hasn't since the CFRP diffuser was installed but didn't think that much about it as not a crucial feature for me. Thought maybe a wire wasn't reconnected appropriately or something similar. But my wife's no longer works after her CFRP was installed either.

This morning I dropped my X3MC off for a routine Svc item and asked them to look into it. When the diffuser is removed it apparently works fine, but not when re-installed... Nothing in the BMW notes seems to indicate that functionality is lost when it is installed (at least per their notes and review), and they even spoke with the Regional Field Engineer. I can understand the trailer hitch blocking this function (and BMW even clarifies that in clear print that functionality is lost with the hitch), but not with the design of this CFRP diffuser? Could the CFRP weave be interfering with the signal somehow? I thought it was more of a line-of-sight type functionality, which shouldn't have been lost with this design over the OEM plastic diffuser, so I'm puzzled (as are the Svc team members, at least to this point).

Just checking to see if others who have installed this on their own vehicles can share whether the 'kick function' still works? If it does for others, then that should narrow down the list of potential causes on our two cases.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #51
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Question for those who have installed the CFRP rear diffuser from M Division -

Does your 'kick to open tailgate' function still work? Mine hasn't since the CFRP diffuser was installed but didn't think that much about it as not a crucial feature for me. Thought maybe a wire wasn't reconnected appropriately or something similar. But my wife's no longer works after her CFRP was installed either.

This morning I dropped my X3MC off for a routine Svc item and asked them to look into it. When the diffuser is removed it apparently works fine, but not when re-installed... Nothing in the BMW notes seems to indicate that functionality is lost when it is installed (at least per their notes and review), and they even spoke with the Regional Field Engineer. I can understand the trailer hitch blocking this function (and BMW even clarifies that in clear print that functionality is lost with the hitch), but not with the design of this CFRP diffuser? Could the CFRP weave be interfering with the signal somehow? I thought it was more of a line-of-sight type functionality, which shouldn't have been lost with this design over the OEM plastic diffuser, so I'm puzzled (as are the Svc team members, at least to this point).

Just checking to see if others who have installed this on their own vehicles can share whether the 'kick function' still works? If it does for others, then that should narrow down the list of potential causes on our two cases.

Thanks
Carbon fiber is not penetrable by the waves that make the kick to open sensor work. Common problem amongst CF diffusers on cars with this feature. Some with F80s have found some work arounds if you do a search.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      08-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #52
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Carbon fiber is not penetrable by the waves that make the kick to open sensor work. Common problem amongst CF diffusers on cars with this feature. Some with F80s have found some work arounds if you do a search.
Thanks for sharing, allinon72 . For me it isn't a major issue and I'll just do without the feature if need be, but seems a caution may wish to be shared by BMW for those purchasing, and for such to be included in the installation notes for Technicians (much as they have with the hitch). Our local Svc team I believe is researching up the chain to see what recs are there.

If others, noushy , AlexFL ... can confirm their feature doesn't work then I'll just get my car back from the Svc Dept, no worries.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #53
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Ditto here in regards to the F80 and the CF rear diffuser on mine...the work around left the wires too exposed for my liking though.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      08-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #54
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Thanks for sharing, allinon72 . For me it isn't a major issue and I'll just do without the feature if need be, but seems a caution may wish to be shared by BMW for those purchasing, and for such to be included in the installation notes for Technicians (much as they have with the hitch). Our local Svc team I believe is researching up the chain to see what recs are there.

If others, noushy , AlexFL ... can confirm their feature doesn't work then I'll just get my car back from the Svc Dept, no worries.
Mine works
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      08-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #55
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

After researching this topic, and hearing the feedback from our former F80 now F97/98 colleagues, it appears that use of the CFRP Diffuser indeed negates the ability to use the hands-free auto tailgate opening feature.

An excellent explanation with diagram representations can be found at the newtis website at: newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f97-x3-m-sav/wiring-functional-info/body/locking-security-functions2/touch-less-tailgate-opening/1VnYpVEonk

I am attaching an image of the bumper region behind the diffuser which I took while attempting the install myself some months ago (which I failed at miserably and had to have the Dealership install). I've labelled the two sensor wires with their Part numbers for reference.

I just confirmed this information with the Service team at our Dealership, who escalated it up to BMW NA, who essentially shared this exact information with them. So everything has been re-installed and I'm to pick her up in a few hours.

For us it is a minor inconvenience and I would absolutely order the CFRP diffusers again, even with this knowledge in hand. But, for some this may influence their decision, so hopefully BMW will add a disclaimer to this product and will also provide formal documentation in the Tech notes so this service request doesn't repeat itself at Dealerships around the globe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
dhurng407.00
Will Pwr748.50
      11-23-2020, 05:18 AM   #56
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, Smart Fortwo, S1RR

any news about the the RKP diffusor?
Appreciate 2
aw3051441.50
larsmin441.00
      09-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #57
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Black X3MC

Bumping this thread. Has anybody checked out this company? I love the look of the rear diffuser as it wraps under the tailpipes.

https://www.hyenna.eu/product/bmw-x3...rear-diffuser/

Manufacturer is CMST Body Kits Taiwan TSFC
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 09:48 PM   #58
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

I was just looking at the 3D design unit & the M performance unit. But both are pretty pricey options & you look the kick gate function feature too. So it's a no win game I guess. LOL
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0