BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #67
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
[QUOTE=KAP8;22922143]For those of you interested, US Millworks now has these for 2018 X3's and M40i's.

I've used US Millwork in the past. Not so sure about the quality, however.

Just make sure that the actual piece that screws into the tow receptacle is long enough because on my 2016 F30 it barely cleared the front bumper. They ended up redesigning for the 2016's new facia and sent me a new one which I ended up sending back.

You might also want to check if your state allows for off center front plates because of traffic camera focus point on the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #68
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

[QUOTE=Sea-Tac;23112600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
For those of you interested, US Millworks now has these for 2018 X3's and M40i's.

I've used US Millwork in the past. Not so sure about the quality, however.

Just make sure that the actual piece that screws into the tow receptacle is long enough because on my 2016 F30 it barely cleared the front bumper. They ended up redesigning for the 2016's new facia and sent me a new one which I ended up sending back.

You might also want to check if your state allows for off center front plates because of traffic camera focus point on the front of the car.
To my liking, it doesn't screw in far enough. I'm my F32, the license plate is nicely tight near the bumper. On the M40i, the plate is further from the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #69
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
[QUOTE=KAP8;23112904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post

To my liking, it doesn't screw in far enough. I'm my F32, the license plate is nicely tight near the bumper. On the M40i, the plate is further from the bumper.
Just curious...are there any plate restrictions in VA?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #70
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Sea-Tac;23113096]
Quote:

Just curious...are there any plate restrictions in VA?
No. We need to have a front plate, but it doesn't need to be centered. Same for Maryland. I see tow hook mounts on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #71
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Same here. I would rather just mount the plate the way BMW designed it to be. In the middle, like 99% of the vehicles on the road.
That's what I did and I think it looks well balanced -- it's not a sight for sore eyes. I would've considered the tow hook plate mount if it weren't so low and if it offered some bumper protection like the center mount does. The tow hook mount also looks like it disrupts the airflow.
Thank you all for your posts. I'm facing the same problem in a couple of weeks when my rear-only temporary tag expired and I need to install the permanent license plate in the front. I like symmetry myself and is thinking of using the OEM plate holder supplied with my M40i. Can anyone post pic on this set up, and confirm that this will not interfere with the active cruise control sensor mounted low at the front center? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #72
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Same here. I would rather just mount the plate the way BMW designed it to be. In the middle, like 99% of the vehicles on the road.
That's what I did and I think it looks well balanced -- it's not a sight for sore eyes. I would've considered the tow hook plate mount if it weren't so low and if it offered some bumper protection like the center mount does. The tow hook mount also looks like it disrupts the airflow.
Thank you all for your posts. I'm facing the same problem in a couple of weeks when my rear-only temporary tag expired and I need to install the permanent license plate in the front. I like symmetry myself and is thinking of using the OEM plate holder supplied with my M40i. Can anyone post pic on this set up, and confirm that this will not interfere with the active cruise control sensor mounted low at the front center? Thanks in advance.
Here you go
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      11-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #73
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Here you go
Thanks! Looks good!

Can any one comment, or saw other whom had commented in the past, if the plate would get in the way of the ACC sensor installed at the 'honeycomb' portion of the front bumper? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #74
therealtk
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
that's a really neat alternative! still don't like that I would have to drill holes into the bumper...

installed my usmillworks today!

how do you have your USMW plate attachment set up? I have mine set furthest away from the center of the car and still having one of the sensors picking it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #75
_SimSimma_
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

I also did the same thing but my parking sensors keep going off. Is it doing the same thing with yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #76
_SimSimma_
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Help

Quote:
I put the US Millworks Tow Hook mount on over the weekend. Here is how it looks.
So I installed mine the same way and its still triggering the parking sensors with this setup. Is it doing the same for yours? and if not what else did you do to stop the sensors to go off?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #77
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

Have you guys tried this one: https://www.rho-plate.com/products/b...9-rho-plate-v2
      09-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #78
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _SimSimma_ View Post
So I installed mine the same way and its still triggering the parking sensors with this setup. Is it doing the same for yours? and if not what else did you do to stop the sensors to go off?
My front right sensor still goes off most of the time when going in reverse, but oddly not every time. I'm used to it, so it really doesn't bother me anymore.
Appreciate 0