BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Has anyone coded the Icon LEDs in the US?

I was told today that is not possible, any help?

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
I have mine coded and there are others who have also had them coded...

These guys coded mine: https://www.codemybimmer.ca/g-chassi...v=7516fd43adaa

Here are a few links from the forum (Search for "anti-dazzle")

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ht=anti+dazzle

Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      04-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

How much did anti dazzle activation cost?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Haven't read up on this. What are the options for the headlights? I have the adaptive led
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
Haven't read up on this. What are the options for the headlights? I have the adaptive led
Enable Variable Light Distribution (Requires option 552 and 5AC for High Beam Assist and Adaptive LED Headlights)

Enable Euro Anti Dazzle High Beams (Requires option 552 and 5AC for High Beam Assist and Adaptive LED Headlights)

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iManu View Post
How much did anti dazzle activation cost?
They did a whole bunch of things - they don't charge by the item, they charge a single amount for whatever things you want them to code (check the options available on their website)

I don't remember the exact cost, but it was around $125-150
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

There has been some debate about this actually working. Several have coded or paid to have their lights coded, but the tunnel is not activating correctly, leading to the belief that similar to older models, there might be some hardware differences. Myself and djrobx both get the partial tunnel with the glare.

HoustonEaDo , have you been able to tell if you have the correct tunnel on your lights?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Enable Variable Light Distribution (Requires option 552 and 5AC for High Beam Assist and Adaptive LED Headlights)

Enable Euro Anti Dazzle High Beams (Requires option 552 and 5AC for High Beam Assist and Adaptive LED Headlights)
Yes. But what are these changes actually doing?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
There has been some debate about this actually working. Several have coded or paid to have their lights coded, but the tunnel is not activating correctly, leading to the belief that similar to older models, there might be some hardware differences. Myself and djrobx both get the partial tunnel with the glare.

HoustonEaDo , have you been able to tell if you have the correct tunnel on your lights?
Im not sure exactly what you mean ?

When activated, my lights move all over the place, highlighting street signs, moving away from oncoming cars, moving around cars I am following, etc...Is that what you mean ?

I have never been flashed since having them coded.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
Yes. But what are these changes actually doing?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

What does the ICON stand for? Acronym?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonEaDo View Post
Im not sure exactly what you mean ?

When activated, my lights move all over the place, highlighting street signs, moving away from oncoming cars, moving around cars I am following, etc...Is that what you mean ?

I have never been flashed since having them coded.
Sort of. I have never been flashed either, but in looking at the lights on the car in front of me, it is clear that is isn't making the |__| around the car, as light is still getting on the trunk of the car in front of me. Right now, it's more similar to the thumbnail image on this post.

On my F30, I replaced the headlights with the Euro version, and it would make very distinct, clear lines around other cars.
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      04-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
What does the ICON stand for? Acronym?
Icon stands for the adaptive BMW headlight and DRL design. Depending on the model, Icon headlights are adaptive LED vs. standard, feature the new BMW DRL designs and a $900-$1000 option.

They slowly dropping the Icon marketing as BMW Laser headlights is the new buzz (BMW Laser headlights are adaptive LED and high beams with laser high beams active above 37-40mph, also feature new DRL designs)

5 series example below:
1st image is standard LED with old style halo DRLs. 2nd is BMW Icon adaptive LED with new DRL design.

New G05 X5 example:
White X5 has the optional BMW Laser headlights with Icon DRLs. Blue is standard LED with half-halo DRLs
Attached Images

Last edited by Auricom; 04-19-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Sort of. I have never been flashed either, but in looking at the lights on the car in front of me, it is clear that is isn't making the |__| around the car, as light is still getting on the trunk of the car in front of me. Right now, it's more similar to the thumbnail image on this post.

On my F30, I replaced the headlights with the Euro version, and it would make very distinct, clear lines around other cars.
Hard for me to tell as Ive never been in a Euro model to see the difference, but I doubt I am having the same experience a Euro model would have - I mostly drive in urban/city environments (not a good way to test) so my lights are almost continually moving around
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #15
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

anti dazzle is not bending the low beam lights, only the high beam lights. so when you approach a car in front of you the lights will illuminate their trunk. the tunnel is not devoid of all light only high beam light.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #16
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Icon stands for the adaptive BMW headlight and DRL design. Depending on the model, Icon headlights are adaptive LED vs. standard, feature the new BMW DRL designs and a $900-$1000 option.
On the X5 they are referred to as Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #17
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
On the X5 they are referred to as Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight
That's a mouthful and thank you for the clarification. It's a bummer that BMW took what was their "iconic" headlight design for many decades and made it an option.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #18
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
anti dazzle is not bending the low beam lights, only the high beam lights. so when you approach a car in front of you the lights will illuminate their trunk. the tunnel is not devoid of all light only high beam light.
Right ... It's not so much the trunk, but the back window. When it's working correctly the trunk still should be illuminated as if the regular lights were on. The high beams should be split to the right and left to form a |___| shape protecting the car from glare. This is the "tunnel".

On my '19 G02 x4 the high beams try to split, but they are missing that distinct vertical cutoff pattern, so a lot of light spills into the car in front of me if I'm following someone. A friend with a '18 G01 x3 with the same coding applied works correctly, so I've seen the difference. I suspect there's hardware missing in mine unless I missed something in the coding, but I've spent a great deal of time analyzing that side of things and how it works. I'm reasonably certain I've done everything I can do there. I have an opportunity to swap headlights so I may try that soon.

If you are just driving around the city it's hard to even see the shape or the issues. It becomes really apparent that it's not working right if you follow a car on a dark country road. NGHB wants to brighten up the sides of the road for you, but ends up blasting the car ahead of you with too much light.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #19
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
Right ... It's not so much the trunk, but the back window. When it's working correctly the trunk still should be illuminated as if the regular lights were on. The high beams should be split to the right and left to form a |___| shape protecting the car from glare. This is the "tunnel".

On my '19 G02 x4 the high beams try to split, but they are missing that distinct vertical cutoff pattern, so a lot of light spills into the car in front of me if I'm following someone. A friend with a '18 G01 x3 with the same coding applied works correctly, so I've seen the difference. I suspect there's hardware missing in mine unless I missed something in the coding, but I've spent a great deal of time analyzing that side of things and how it works. I'm reasonably certain I've done everything I can do there. I have an opportunity to swap headlights so I may try that soon.

If you are just driving around the city it's hard to even see the shape or the issues. It becomes really apparent that it's not working right if you follow a car on a dark country road. NGHB wants to brighten up the sides of the road for you, but ends up blasting the car ahead of you with too much light.
My icon high beams (Canada) looks more like this, I have not coded anything yet.
_/\____/\_

Are you saying that it more square for the models in Europe?
Appreciate 0