BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
DRiveB
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 F25 3.5

Jerky and delayed transmission Shifts

After driving the car quite hard on D/S manual shifting, I suddenly noticed the car had delays followed by a jerking thump when down shifting (hardest when shifting to 1st gear) or shifting to D from N. It feels like something hits you from behind.

After a fuel stop, I switch the car to Sport plus mode , and tried to shift from N to D the jerking disappeared, then I switched to sports mode , followed the same with comfort mode, and for now the problem is gone.

My X3 is a 2011 3.5 (N55) Xdrive with 47k miles. I had change the transmission oil around 45k.

would this indicate a transmission or transfer case failure? or should I recheck the transmission oil and filter?

thoughts and advise would truly be appreciated really worried if this happens again
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X3-35i,525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Maybe the trans computer got in a bad state, stopping and going to sport+ corrected it the issue.

Curious what fluid was used to refill the transmission? 45k is pretty early for a trans fluid change since ZF recommends 60k, but it can't hurt if using the right fluid and fill procedure.

From what I've read, the transfer case and front diff fluid get dark sooner so if you're going to do a fluid change, I'd do those first. I'm doing the trans, transfer case and both diffs this winter at around 60k miles. Using Lifeguard 8 for the trans. and BMW brand for the transfer. I have the same yr/model.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:12 AM   #3
DRiveB
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 F25 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Maybe the trans computer got in a bad state, stopping and going to sport+ corrected it the issue.

Curious what fluid was used to refill the transmission? 45k is pretty early for a trans fluid change since ZF recommends 60k, but it can't hurt if using the right fluid and fill procedure.

From what I've read, the transfer case and front diff fluid get dark sooner so if you're going to do a fluid change, I'd do those first. I'm doing the trans, transfer case and both diffs this winter at around 60k miles. Using Lifeguard 8 for the trans. and BMW brand for the transfer. I have the same yr/model.
Yes the computer may be the case , glad that it sopped. I will check on the transfer case fluid as well - thanks for this.

I live in Indonesia, the traffic condition is horrible with heavy stop and go condition, hence the stress on the transmission and clutch are much heavier. this is the main reason that oil change on transmission are usually done earlier to be safe. I used the BMW oem oil. as it was done by the dealer.
Appreciate 0