BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-09-2021, 09:21 AM   #1
MyfirstBMW_X3M40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i LCI BG

First BMW – 2022 X3 M40i on order

First of all, thanks for accepting me to forum, been very useful and enjoyable reading so far.

Coming from a long line of VW and MB cars, decided to sell my 2016 SLK55 AMG last month (lack of use, 14k miles in 5 years, loved every mile tho), and decided to go down to one car. My Wifes 7yr old Touareg needs replacing, and I started the process of “whats next” back in Jan, but wanted to downsize a little. TBH I’ve loved 7yrs in the Touareg, only been to the dealer for service and mot, but they don’t have anything in the size/performance of the X3.

We test drove:
BMW M40D – no 40i’s anywhere near me, but absolutely loved it – want petrol though
Volvo XC60 T8 – liked it, was a close second believe it or not, being a PHEV and nearly 400BHP, just wasn’t sure – VOLVO are owned/built by Chinese.
VW Tiguan R – liked it, Wife loved it, close 3rd but just a little too small
Audi SQ5 – didn’t like it at all, plus Audi moved from petrol to diesel in this model
MB GLC43 – discounted, because of issues with my local dealership and AMGs – longggggg story.
Jag F Pace and LR Discovery sport, discounted because Friends have them, and they’ve had so many issues.

We decided on the M40i, my first BMW (57yrs old, passionate car enthusiast), due to all the reviews and reading I’d done, want something with a bit of power, but nice for my Wife to drive, like Ladies do (well most). I did consider the X3M for a short while, just think this is the best all round model, not sure I could have lived with the X3M suspension tbh.

Was looking for a few months for a low mileage ex-demo 2020/21 model, but wanted several options/colour, few and far between. Then my dealership told me about the LCI (oh, and Brooklyn Grey) and gave me a real good price on the build below, and only a couple £K more than what 2020 models are currently going for. Personally I think the LCI looks just a little nicer than previous model, for one I love the slight changes, the wheels, the rear lights etc. So many discussions on the MB forums re proper AMGs and 43s etc ,but it’s the car manufacturers that are diluting the badge, not only BMW, but all of them – if it’s the right car, just enjoy it.

Spec as follows:
Brooklyn Grey metallic
Tech Pack
Comfort Pack
Pano roof
Parking Assistant plus
Drive recorder
Black Leather with blue stitching
Front lumbar support
Red calipers

Learned so much already on here, especially liked reading posts from those of you who have ordered, and lucky enough to have your LCI.

Couple of questions for you all with an LCI M40i
* ADAPTIVE suspension was a button on the previous model, how does this now work on the LCI as can’t see a button for it in the centre console?
* How are you all finding the start/stop 48v mild hybrid solution?
* Comfort – the Touareg is really comfortable on journeys, I decided on Sports seats as I found the M too hard on my test drive – how are you all finding them – sports and M?

Thanks again, hope this isn’t too long a thread, but thought I’d share the reason I’m on here.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyfirstBMW_X3M40i View Post
Couple of questions for you all with an LCI M40i
* ADAPTIVE suspension was a button on the previous model, how does this now work on the LCI as can’t see a button for it in the centre console?
I'm also interested in the "adaptive" mode that no longer appears on the LCI X3. Question has been asked before but no answers to date and it may have been dropped.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
jacko15
WannaBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
I'm also interested in the "adaptive" mode that no longer appears on the LCI X3. Question has been asked before but no answers to date and it may have been dropped.
Adaptive M Suspension with electronically controlled dampers is standard on the LCI M40i. I believe it will adjust according to the selected drive mode automatically.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Adaptive M Suspension with electronically controlled dampers is standard on the LCI M40i. I believe it will adjust according to the selected drive mode automatically.

On pre LCI with adaptive M suspension there was a drive mode called "adaptive" which had a physical button on the console. It was a complex system that could use nav info to "adapt" the mode to an up coming sharp bend etc, and change mode based on driving style without having to select sport, comfort etc.

The physical button has disappeared and so far there is no definitive owner answer about selecting adaptive mode.

Overview

The "ADAPTIVE" mode is used for the first time in the BMW 7 Series. It is designed to achieve a balanced driving mode where the setup is automatically adapted to both the driving situation and the driving style.

In this mode, the parameters of the Electronic Damper Control (VDP), the Electric Active Roll Stabilization (EARS), Electronic Power Steering (EPS) and the automatic transmission, for example, are switched between "COMFORT", "SPORT" and “ECO PRO” settings depending on the driving situation. However, when "ADAPTIVE" mode is active, no changes that restrict comfort (seat heating, A/C settings, etc.) are made in the event of switching to "ECO PRO" mode.

"ADAPTIVE" reacts to the current driving style. The affected control units can change their parameters on the basis of the detected driving style.

With the navigation system, the mode makes use of the available map data and optimizes "ADAPTIVE" Mode by predictive functions such as early reaction to bends, junctions and road type.

The displays on the instrument cluster and Central Information Display (CID) remain in normal" mode and do not continuously change between "COMFORT" and "SPORT" modes. This is to prevent the driver from being distracted or lose comfort by changes in the displays. "ADAPTIVE" mode changes the modes in the background so that the driver does not notice the changes directly.

The following influences on the driving style are taken into account, among others:
• Longitudinal dynamics
• Current speed
• Pedal sensor position
• Cruise control (sensor data from ACC radar sensor)
• Sport shift gate for automatic transmission
• Turn indicator
• Steering wheel movements
• Navigation data

Quote:
Adaptive Mode

If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode.

Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible. If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic change over to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route. Route guidance need not be activated for this.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Congratulations and welcome! Based on your story, I know you're gonna love the car!

In terms of your questions:

- Adaptive button is indeed gone. The M40i now has the adaptive M suspension standard, which was an option previous model years. However, this is different than the adaptive button. Pressing the adaptive button would enable a mode which would adjust the suspension, steering, throttle response, etc in real time based on several factors, including your driving style and GPS data. I have not found any equivalent mode in my 2022 X4. Honestly, it sounds cool on paper, but in practice I imagine it would be very jarring to have the car constantly adjusting itself.

- I like the mild hybrid system. It makes the start/stop function completely seamless, however honestly I never use the start/stop because I'm basically always in "sport individual" mode which I tuned everything to be the most aggressive except for the transmission, which I left in "regular" sport mode rather than "sport plus" configuration, as I'm still in the break in period and the sport plus transmission setting REALLY revs out the engine. The hybrid system also gives you a good kick in the rear when accelerating from a stop, the turbo lag is minimal, and it also seems to help keep power delivery consistent during gearshifts. Upshifting is so smooth you barely even notice that the gear changed because of the power delivery. It's great. My MPG is 19 mpg (US) while driving about 25%/50%/25% urban/suburban/highway in sport mode so I don't think the hybrid system is doing much in terms of that.

Comfort - I find the drivers seat very comfortable for my height and body shape. The Vernasca leather isn't the softest or most luxurious, however the seat itself is fine IMHO. Of note I do have the lumbar support and side bolsters present on the drivers side. I haven't sat extensively in the passenger seat (just to test) - due to the chip shortage it does not have lumbar or side bolster adjustment but people I've had in the car find it comfortable. I also find the rear seats surprisingly comfortable. At 6 feet tall I have enough leg room sitting behind my own driving position and even plenty of headroom in the X4. The fact that the rear seats can lean back (even just a little bit) has a surprisingly big impact. Take all this with a grain of salt, however, as I drove my little 135i 900 miles straight a month ago with no stops except for gas, and found that to be perfectly comfortable as well.

Again- congrats and welcome! Post pics when it arrives

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

In terms of your questions:

- Adaptive button is indeed gone. The M40i now has the adaptive M suspension standard, which was an option previous model years. However, this is different than the adaptive button. Pressing the adaptive button would enable a mode which would adjust the suspension, steering, throttle response, etc in real time based on several factors, including your driving style and GPS data. I have not found any equivalent mode in my 2022 X4. Honestly, it sounds cool on paper, but in practice I imagine it would be very jarring to have the car constantly adjusting itself.
Thanks for the feedback.

I understand it worked very well and was pretty seamless. Perhaps it's another victim of cost cutting or chip shortages and BMW has quietly removed it.

Wonder if it's still available on higher models ?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
geologistshelf
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Just confirmed with BMW Genius that Adaptive drive mode is completely gone in the 2022 model year.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #8
TomCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Shopping is half the fun! We put our deposit down yesterday on our 2022 X3 M40i and are looking forward to a November (hopefully) delivery. The SQ5 is still a great car - I've got a 2014 Q5 and the SQ5 is still available in petrol here (I don't think we get the diesel at all). A big reason I didn't go that route is that sitting in an SQ5 when you already own a Q5 isn't "different" enough. As for GLC43, not as much of a fan of the interior and feels a bit more pedantic. The BMW checked all the right boxes - and has a roomier trunk to boot! (official capacity to seat height is same across all 3 SQ5/M40i/GLC, but if you include the height to ceiling, BMW wins that handily).

Another huge factor is new order times for the BMW are ~2 months here, but SQ5's are 5-6 months! Craziness..
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #9
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

The confusion around Adaptive mode and BMW's inability to clearly explain their suspension options are comical. That said I drive my '21 M40i almost exclusively in adaptive mode, to me it feels somewhere in between Comfort and Sport in terms of stiffness/responsiveness. I never use the onboard nav so not sure it's getting any info from nav. So i guess with the '22's the car defaults to adaptive mode? Anyways, good luck with your car, you made a great choice!
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #10
pinto2515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

I just finished break in mode. Let's fucking goooooooooooooooo
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #11
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
So i guess with the '22's the car defaults to adaptive mode?
Don't think so, it's just gone and no longer an option. If BMW had done something clever they would shout about it, but if it's killed off they stay silent.

Lets face it if BMW has "chip issues" affecting simple seat bolster adjustment and lumbar, god know what tech is needed to support adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #12
zukmeister
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto2515 View Post

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #13
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

The Adaptive suspension is listed on the UK Configurator but I'm non the wiser after reading various opinions on this....Any one with a new LCI like to tell us if it does actually have it? Of course this can vary between each country as some options are dropped and others are not due to chips etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #14
jacko15
WannaBimmer
United_States
Rep

Just assimilating what I've read so far, it seems adaptive suspension is alive in the LCI, but adaptive drive mode is not. Seems they are two different animals.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #15
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Just assimilating what I've read so far, it seems adaptive suspension is alive in the LCI, but adaptive drive mode is not. Seems they are two different animals.
Yes, Adaptive suspension is part of the system, but it appears limited to manually selecting the damper setting, rather than being done dynamically under the "Adaptive" drive experience mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #16
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
The Adaptive suspension is listed on the UK Configurator but I'm non the wiser after reading various opinions on this....Any one with a new LCI like to tell us if it does actually have it? Of course this can vary between each country as some options are dropped and others are not due to chips etc?
Yes the adaptive suspension is available as an option so the user can select how hard/soft the damping is. As mentioned above, it's the clever "adaptive drive" tech that appear missing or which adaptive suspension was just one element.
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      09-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #17
jacko15
WannaBimmer
United_States
Rep

For what it's worth, from the LCI owner's manual:

"Principle:

The adaptive suspension is an intelligent controllable
suspension.
The chassis reduces body movements with a
sporty driving style or on an uneven road.

General information:

The intelligent control of the chassis increases
the driving dynamics and driving comfort depending
on the road condition and driving style.

Tuning:

The system offers different shock absorber settings
ranging from comfortable travel to sporty
driving.
The shock absorbers are adjusted depending on
the road condition and driving style as well as, depending on the equipment, the selected driving
mode.

Additional information:
Driving Dynamics Control, refer to page 137."

Online Edition for Part no. 01405A38514 - VI/21
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #18
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto2515 View Post
Lol, be careful, it’s too easy to get tickets in these beast!
Appreciate 1
Golease13.00
      09-09-2021, 09:56 PM   #19
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

That sucks they got rid of the Adaptive driving mode. I've had mine coded as the default driving mode for both M40s. It minds its manners unless you need it to perform and then it just does. There was nothing jarring about whatever adjustments it was making behind the scenes.

'07 328xi wagon, '10 528xi, '11 X5 35, '13 X5 35, '16 X5 35, '19 X2 28
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #20
MyfirstBMW_X3M40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i LCI BG

Right, started last January looking for a replacement to the Touareg, ordered the M40i in July, delayed order as advised by dealership to go for the LCI, first posted this thread in Sep, and the car arrived at the dealership late this afternoon, so hopefully picking up soon - really cant wait now! Being on this forum daily, several times a day sometimes, reading other owners queries, advice, issues, I've learned so much so a BIG thank you, also read the online manuals, twice!! But bet I'll still have lots of questions when I get it, not long now.
Appreciate 0