BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-12-2022, 08:37 PM   #1
Arehman11
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Interior quality issues

Are those of you with LCI’s seeing issues with quality on interior parts? We have the “dent” in the dashboard, some small issues with the leather on the door panel and issues with the aluminum trim around the AC vent. I’m sure BMW will make this right, but I expected the higher quality parts to be put on an M car. This is likely due to parts shortages and needing to use whatever to get cars out the door.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 02:42 PM   #2
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can you post some pictures of what you are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:09 AM   #3
nickyf98
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M (F98)

I have a pre-LCI and a have a lot of squeeking. Even the driver's side window after lowered oddly squeeks for like 5 seconds on every movement. Overall a lot of sqeeking and noise while driving. Leather can easily be ripped by something rubbing against it, have a few marks. I believe these are normal, all cars are a bit built cheaper in the last 10 years but technology is increasing in them.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 06:57 AM   #4
Arehman11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
Can you post some pictures of what you are talking about?
I seem to be having trouble attaching photos from my phone. I did take my car to BMW and they have submitted photos to BMW and waiting for further issues. Basically it looks likely that I’ll end up getting a new dash, passenger door panel and possibly cargo area trim piece. The service manager and shop manager both worked with me and agreed these were manufacturing defects. They had an m40i with the dash removed already so it was good to see that it was a more common procedure for them.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 07:00 AM   #5
Arehman11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf98 View Post
I have a pre-LCI and a have a lot of squeeking. Even the driver's side window after lowered oddly squeeks for like 5 seconds on every movement. Overall a lot of sqeeking and noise while driving. Leather can easily be ripped by something rubbing against it, have a few marks. I believe these are normal, all cars are a bit built cheaper in the last 10 years but technology is increasing in them.
Agreed on new cars rattling more. Our 128i was more solidly built than our f30 340i. These are all my wife’s cars including the f97. I typically drive Toyota trucks and they also have been seeing a decline in interior workmanship as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:32 AM   #6
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arehman11 View Post
I seem to be having trouble attaching photos from my phone. I did take my car to BMW and they have submitted photos to BMW and waiting for further issues. Basically it looks likely that I’ll end up getting a new dash, passenger door panel and possibly cargo area trim piece. The service manager and shop manager both worked with me and agreed these were manufacturing defects. They had an m40i with the dash removed already so it was good to see that it was a more common procedure for them.
I will have to check out the very slight rattle that's coming from the glove box area on my 2020 X3 M then.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #7
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

The ambient lighting contours/tubes on both front doors were splotchy and uneven from factory. Disappointing, but a common issue on the G01 X3 platform. At the dealer now for new components.

God bless my SA. The local dealer is also the area's Rolls Royce service center, so he conscripted a Rolls tech to complete the work on my car. And then put me in a 2022 750 M-sport for the week.
Attached Images

01-20-2022, 12:12 AM   #8
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
The ambient lighting contours/tubes on both front doors were splotchy and uneven from factory. Disappointing, but a common issue on the G01 X3 platform. At the dealer now for new components.

God bless my SA. The local dealer is also the area's Rolls Royce service center, so he conscripted a Rolls tech to complete the work on my car. And then put me in a 2022 750 M-sport for the week.
In the Donington gray color no less too. He must be a good guy! Do you think this may have caused any faint rattling... ? or was this just a visual defect... ?
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
jzmundy991.00
      01-20-2022, 08:08 AM   #9
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post

In the Donington gray color no less too. He must be a good guy! Do you think this may have caused any faint rattling... ? or was this just a visual defect... ?
Lol having DG on this 750 only makes me more pissed they ditched it for the LCI. What a fantastic color it is.

You know, it's funny you mention the faint rattle. Over the past couple weeks, I had noticed a very faint (but clearly audible) rattle near the door lock pin on the driver's door. Easily masked by music, but clearly there without music or while on a phone call, etc.

Funnily enough, I've noticed a similar rattle in this brand new $120k 7 series. It has 200 miles on it

Figured I would wait to assess after they get the ambient lighting issue resolved. It's easy enough to pop off the door panel in my garage and apply felt tape all over, so if it's still there, that may be the route I take.