BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Neo1130
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

TPMS Malfunction Message

Hey guys. 2019 X4 M40i has been throwing this message at us since we got it in November last year... Pretty random and the TPMS light will illuminate and stay on for a few days. Of course, we make an appointment at the dealer after about the 30th time it goes off and they kept for half a week and the light of course didn't come on for them nor were there any stored codes... I saw someone else that had this issue on their X3 but I cannot find the thread again. NONE of the sensors will read which leads me to believe it's the car side of the system that has failed. Tires of course are all up above where the light trip is so it's not low pressure. All tires have a "--" when trying to read.

Now the dealer will get corporate involved and I dunno what will happen if they can't figure it out. We just got out of a lemon which this car replaced (2018 Hellcat) and don't want to do that process ever again. I don't believe it will come to that but I just want to know what the fix is going to be for those few that had this same problem...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
youngdoc1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Could be a low battery on one of the TPMS sensors, have they checked this already?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
pritchd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdoc1 View Post
Could be a low battery on one of the TPMS sensors, have they checked this already?
My 5'er showed this code ... of course it was already 7+ years old, but the fix was replacing the batteries in the TPMS.

If that's the issue here, I would hope it would be covered under warranty on an 2018 or 2019.
      07-31-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
fingmongoose
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Garage List
I've already had one replaced. I was turning into the dealers parking lot to look at another car when the same message appeared on the screen. They confirmed it and scheduled to replace the sensor.

A month or so after that I've had the message come and go for the last month. Haven't had time to get it to the dealer yet. Since the light started coming on it keeps showing a low tire despite the pressure being correct. Definitely seems to be a problem somewhere in the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
The Frozen Chozen
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 5, BMW X3 m40i

pressure failure

has this been fixed for you yet. I also own a x3m40i and going to be my third trip to the shop and it still keeps happening. just wanted to know if yours is still having a problem. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X3MC

I had the same problem and reset my tire settings in Idrive. The error came and went at least two times a week but hasn't resurfaced since making the settings changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
pizzaflyer
Rep
Drives: M3 Lime Rock, X3 M40i, 911

I just went to the dealer to get a sensor replaced today. Hope it’s fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
BimmerDadCat
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 30i M Sport Pkg

Similar Problem Twice - might be resolved...

In April we had very similar issue with under 1K miles. Dealer identified a faulty unit and replaced the one on the driver side front wheel.

Two weeks ago we got a new variation of the previous faulty TPMS warning while driving on the interstate. This one said something about the TPMS has been disabled because something was interfering with signal/information, and it also said to check tire pressure manually. I did & they were fine.

Dealer could not find a cause with their diagnostics and escalated to their internal resources while keeping the car a couple days & providing a loaner.

All said and done the consult recommended replacing the unit in all wheels. Its been a little over a week with this fix and so far so good.

Time will tell. On the bright said, the rest of our baby still works...

Best of luck - hope this helps.
Appreciate 0