BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Electric Actuator: Valvetronic eccentric shaft fault code question

I'm looking at a 2017 X3 35i CPO that had this fault code stored at 17000 miles. The BMW mechanic replaced the eccentric shaft motor. The X3 only has a few hundred miles on it since this replacement. It is still under manufacturer's warranty for another 13 months and then the CPO warranty. I've read a lot about other posts that have similar issues. The question I have is this really early in the cars lifetime (mileage wise) to have this problem? It's gone 17 months between the first and second oil change but only 6000 miles. Should I be concerned about buying this car? Even though it has a lot of warranty left, I hold on to my cars long after the warranty's expire. Any thoughts of wisdom?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
The BMW mechanic replaced the eccentric shaft motor. The X3 only has a few hundred miles on it since this replacement. It is still under manufacturer's warranty for another 13 months and then the CPO warranty.
Eccentric shaft motor...that is the "Valvetronic Motor", the servo motor w/worm gear that modulates/moves the eccentric shaft to achieve the variable valve lift, i.e. the BMW Valvetronic System. From what I have read these motors don't have a frequent failure rate, but it can of course fail on occasion; replacement is simple as this motor is mounted externally to the valve cover.

If that is the ONLY component in the Valvetronic system that was 'at fault/failed' then I'd say it's an uncommon failure and you're good to go with the car.

Were there other items in the Valvetronic system that were also 'at fault/failed' and replaced?....eccentric shaft sensor, eccentric shaft itself (much more involved repair compared to installing new Valvetronic motor), etc.

You've got a warranty, low mileage vehicle- think you're in good shape.

Last edited by Wgosma; 12-11-2019 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The customer complains that when starting the vehicle the vehicle then shuts off.
The mechanic ran the test plan for 5V circuit and accel pedal. Found the eccentric shaft motor is bringing down the 5V leg of DME and causing the accel pedal to not respond. So he replaced the eccentric shaft motor and verified.
Doesn't sound like he had to replace anything else. What would cause that to fail? Do you think that this is just the precursor to a more involved failure down the road? (ie: after the warranties expire?)
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      12-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Motors can take a dump relatively early in life, it happens. We've seen this with the motors in electric water and fuel pumps- not real common but can/does occur.

This servo motor is energized and continually in operation whenever the engine is running.

If car is idling and running fine and no fault codes seen after repair I'd say problem identified and solved. In my estimation based on your info this is stand-alone component failure, not caused by related component/issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I wondered if it had something to do with the X3 sitting for long periods or being driven real short distances in a year and 10 months. It was also surrounded by salt air from the ocean.
Appreciate 0