BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2024, 06:03 AM   #1
Honey999
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX3

Sudden stop/grinding noise on reverse hard lock

I have a 2022 IX3. I noticed in the cold weather that when I reverse on hard lock left or right, it suddenly hard stops or judders and feels as though I have hit something. Releasing the lock slightly frees it. I have read about Ackerman / summer tyres and this sounds similar but more severe. Dealer has reproduced and claims they have bee told by BMW that it is a ‘feature’ and normal to all IX3s. I would call it a fault! Does anyone else have this?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 02:57 AM   #2
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey999 View Post
I have a 2022 IX3. I noticed in the cold weather that when I reverse on hard lock left or right, it suddenly hard stops or judders and feels as though I have hit something. Releasing the lock slightly frees it. I have read about Ackerman / summer tyres and this sounds similar but more severe. Dealer has reproduced and claims they have bee told by BMW that it is a ‘feature’ and normal to all IX3s. I would call it a fault! Does anyone else have this?
My Pre Facelift Premier Pro does the same. My Audi S3 also did it - there it was linked to the front axles on the 4WD. So not sure what causes it here.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 03:58 PM   #3
TheTickingHand
Rep
Drives: IX3 Premier Pro

I've got this too, it seems to be mentioned on a number of cars, mine is worse reversing to the right than the left. Almost like a slipping sensation, seems worse in the cold weather but also very noticeable when the car moves from the Monoblock of my drive to the pavement. Happens every time.

@Honey999, are you saying the car actually comes to a standstill because of this? if so that is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:09 PM   #4
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

Mine does the same although not judders, comes to a halt or the sensation that I’ve hit something - nowhere near as drastic or dramatic as that. If that’s what it really feels like, something is wrong and you need to take it to a dealer. The best way I can describe mine is it seems that, when reversing on full lock, it’s as if you run over a large stone or something - as if the differential on the driven axle is working beyond its gearing.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 03:33 PM   #5
Honey999
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX3

I went to the dealer. They reproduced the noise etc- although mild because it’s warmer. This is their ‘response’.
……After road testing the vehicle we found a BMW service solution that explains your concern. The service solution number is 36-20000813342174. This explains that at low outside temperatures (single digit plus or minus temperatures) and low driving speed the front end can be slightly axially misaligned.
The technical explanation is – The kinematics of the front axle geometry are deliberately designed to deviate from the so called ‘Ackermann function’. This manifests itself in improved handling and a reduced vehicle turning radius.
Tyres, especially high performance tyres with further improved grip level, exhibit reduced profile block elasticity at low temperatures due to their rubber compound and profile design. This causes tension in the tyre when driving slowly with very large steering angles. When rolling this the tension is released in individual or several successive jerks..
This jerking is harmless and cannot be suppressed for design reasons…..

So BMW have no intention of doing anything about it!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:01 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey999 View Post
"...reduced vehicle turning radius."
It clearly isn't working. Rear wheel drive vehicles normally have a tighter turning radius. Both my 4WD Audi S3 had tighter turning radius than this!!
Appreciate 0