BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2024, 03:32 AM   #1
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Ix3 / ix1 / ix

morning all,

Ive popped this post on the IX3 forum as I have an X3 and likely to replace it with an IX3 however Im interested in your views of the IX3 vs IX1 vs IX.

I know there is a size difference and a spec / level of finish difference but it seems (to me at least) that BMW have made 3 cars that have good bits and bad bits when they could have made just made 1 good one.

Im not sure I can live with the new idrive screen based system in the IX or IX1 but then the IX3 has 2 WD. Compromises on each model. Would be interested in views from anyone who has tried or lived with the various versions.

The IX3 is around £66k in the UK but Ive seen many very low mileage options from BWW, a few months old for £20k less. Does anyone know why this is the case? It just doesnt make sence to buy a new one.

Thanks

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:03 AM   #2
fulgeru
Romania
Rep
Drives: iX3

The PRO model starts at £68K, and it doesn't have laser lights;

Anyway, to sell it, you can barely obtain 50K EUR these days.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:28 PM   #3
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello,

I’ve had a look on the BMW website, approved used iX3 cars appear to all be north of £40,000, I couldn’t see any for £20,000 or less, I might be looking in the wrong place though.

Used car prices for iX3 cars certainly have adjusted themselves after being unusually high for a while, maybe due to to supply chains sorting themselves out as well as this year is the time when the first generation iX3 cars on PCP contracts get handed back to dealers too perhaps?

I had concerns about the RWD EV only chassis after driving AWD ICE cars for 7-8 years, I needn’t have worried about it. Whilst it’ll never match my AWD and summer/winter tyres setup, for me, the traction control system and overall handling on the EV drivetrain behaves amazingly well in snow and ice conditions I’m very happy with it, if that was a similar concern?

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:45 PM   #4
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeXi View Post
Hello,

I’ve had a look on the BMW website, approved used iX3 cars appear to all be north of £40,000, I couldn’t see any for £20,000 or less, I might be looking in the wrong place though.

Used car prices for iX3 cars certainly have adjusted themselves after being unusually high for a while, maybe due to to supply chains sorting themselves out as well as this year is the time when the first generation iX3 cars on PCP contracts get handed back to dealers too perhaps?

I had concerns about the RWD EV only chassis after driving AWD ICE cars for 7-8 years, I needn’t have worried about it. Whilst it’ll never match my AWD and summer/winter tyres setup, for me, the traction control system and overall handling on the EV drivetrain behaves amazingly well in snow and ice conditions I’m very happy with it, if that was a similar concern?

Many thanks,
Thanks for coming back to me.

Apls for the confusion I meant they were 20k less than list and only a couple of months old. On that basis it doesn’t make sense to buy new and wait for a few months.

I was concerned about the rwd only element but I’m getting used to the idea. I normally have a set of winter tyres to swap with.

I was considering the ix but I can’t get over the tech for tech sake approach all the touch screen stuff I’d find annoying. Saying that I did get an auto on my last x3 and got used to it eventually:-)

Loosing 20k in 6 months is nuts but I do think they were overpriced in the first place.

Last time I bought an x3 in 2017 the top model was 50-55 now it’s 70 and above.

I need to drive both ix and Ix3 but interested in other’s views on the 2

Thanks again

Last edited by shandyhaggis; 01-06-2024 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:47 PM   #5
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulgeru View Post
The PRO model starts at £68K, and it doesn't have laser lights;

Anyway, to sell it, you can barely obtain 50K EUR these days.
I know it’s shocking.

You expect to lose an amount on a new car but 20k over 6 months is crazy

Last edited by shandyhaggis; 01-06-2024 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 01:30 PM   #6
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Unfortunately the media has succeeded in making EV's very unpopular. There's lots of fear mongering about them catching fire, having crap range and basically exploding if you so much as look at it. This has caused the prices to fall like a stone.

I bought mine in September and at the time I got a great deal, but even now just over 3 months later I've probably lost a significant amount of money. I got just over 10k off a brand new car, a free charger and more money for my car as it was also in short supply. So a cracking deal, but I've probably lost a further 10k in 3 months. However even looking at the used cars you mention, with the same deposit I'd be paying more a month, because I managed to get a fairly low rate of finance. So as long as I don't try to sell it I'm okay.

Now to the car, the build quality is significantly better than the X1 I sold to get it (that's the new X1 so the same as the IX1 you're looking at). I only kept that car 10 months as the tech annoyed me and it just didn't feel anything special. The IX3 tech feels a little dated to me now and the surround cameras are poor compared to the X1 but if you've never had it then you wouldn't know the difference anyway.

If I had the cash and could cope with the size I think I'd have preferred the IX but it just wasn't viable for me.

I'd check out insurance prices as well as mine has almost doubled from last year.

Now for the good bit, based on my driving, I've spent half what I would have on fuel costs. That's being generous for the petrol calculations, and using what I've actually put in to the IX3. Not bad considering we are only on British gas normal tariff, no cheap rate so paying 27p per kWh. The car drives really well, feels quick enough but very smooth. Petrol cars have really started to about me lately with the lag they all have, obviously with electric this has all gone. We don't do many miles at all so it suits us, but if I had to do lots of miles and had to charge away from home I wouldn't have bought it.

Any questions just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 03:22 PM   #7
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Unfortunately the media has succeeded in making EV's very unpopular. There's lots of fear mongering about them catching fire, having crap range and basically exploding if you so much as look at it. This has caused the prices to fall like a stone.

I bought mine in September and at the time I got a great deal, but even now just over 3 months later I've probably lost a significant amount of money. I got just over 10k off a brand new car, a free charger and more money for my car as it was also in short supply. So a cracking deal, but I've probably lost a further 10k in 3 months. However even looking at the used cars you mention, with the same deposit I'd be paying more a month, because I managed to get a fairly low rate of finance. So as long as I don't try to sell it I'm okay.

Now to the car, the build quality is significantly better than the X1 I sold to get it (that's the new X1 so the same as the IX1 you're looking at). I only kept that car 10 months as the tech annoyed me and it just didn't feel anything special. The IX3 tech feels a little dated to me now and the surround cameras are poor compared to the X1 but if you've never had it then you wouldn't know the difference anyway.

If I had the cash and could cope with the size I think I'd have preferred the IX but it just wasn't viable for me.

I'd check out insurance prices as well as mine has almost doubled from last year.

Now for the good bit, based on my driving, I've spent half what I would have on fuel costs. That's being generous for the petrol calculations, and using what I've actually put in to the IX3. Not bad considering we are only on British gas normal tariff, no cheap rate so paying 27p per kWh. The car drives really well, feels quick enough but very smooth. Petrol cars have really started to about me lately with the lag they all have, obviously with electric this has all gone. We don't do many miles at all so it suits us, but if I had to do lots of miles and had to charge away from home I wouldn't have bought it.

Any questions just let me know.
Many thanks for the info.

I’d no idea about the insurance issue. I bought my daughter a mini ev last year and I don’t recall the insurance being too bad but I will check.

Interesting to know I could get a deal on a new one if I wanted to go that way.

I agree re the ix I think it would be a
Tad too big but I still think I’d try one and see if I like it.

My x3 is a 3.0d and has nothing fancy in it like cameras etc. I honestly do t really want anything too complex. I just want to get in and drive it. I’ve worked in IT for 37 years and I like to leave the the tech on
My desk:-)

I’d be buying a car outright and probably keeping it for 5 years. I normally buy nearly new which seems to be a sweet spot.

I’d quite like to wait for the new Ix3 but like the idea of an ev sooner so will switch this year.

So Im guessing bmw are struggling to shift them by the sounds of it. I’ll test the water:-)

Forgot to ask… any idea how much bmw want for a set of wheels and winter tyres ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 04:24 PM   #8
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Way too much. Probably around 3k, but I'll admit to never actually asking. You'll be 1.5k at least for a decent set of 3rd party wheels and tyres.

If you're buying outright, definitely go nearly new.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:16 PM   #9
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello,

Sorry that’s my mistake, I misread the original post about the pricing, I understand now.

I’ve found the iX3 to be a great “changeover” car when switching from ICE to EV, one of those reasons was that it still had “old fashioned” tactile buttons and controls. Having said that, I’ve enjoyed exploring how much the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant can do using voice commands, which doesn’t need button or screen input, my favourite is “hey BMW, activate Sport mode!”.

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 03:37 AM   #10
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeXi View Post
Hello,

Sorry that’s my mistake, I misread the original post about the pricing, I understand now.

I’ve found the iX3 to be a great “changeover” car when switching from ICE to EV, one of those reasons was that it still had “old fashioned” tactile buttons and controls. Having said that, I’ve enjoyed exploring how much the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant can do using voice commands, which doesn’t need button or screen input, my favourite is “hey BMW, activate Sport mode!”.

Many thanks,
Thanks

Great point and I think that’s where I am as well.

In my mind if I can get 3 points on my license for texting then operating a cars controls via touch screen isn’t any different.

I have some issues seeing the screen when I’m driving so having buttons for me at least is better.

I’d be interested to try the voice control to see how good they are.

Interestingly I heard the that bmw design lead has said that he went too far with the lack of buttons thing and bmw would add some back in future designs.

Makes sense to me. I don’t see f1 drivers or pilots using touch screen for everything so I can’t see why having a fully touch screen control system really working in a car. It feels a bit like the 60s when they reinvented the steering wheel to be square. Oh wait a min ….the ix!

If only the ix3 had a little motor in the front! Something I’m sure I’d get used to till the new ix3 comes out.

Has anyone had any quality issues or reliability issues in the ix3?

I watched a couple of reviews from a chap about the ix3 which he bought and really liked. His next review was in an ix that he had on load as the Ix3 was in the garage for a week. He likes the ix so much he swapped…

Happy Sunday :-)

A
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 03:41 AM   #11
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Way too much. Probably around 3k, but I'll admit to never actually asking. You'll be 1.5k at least for a decent set of 3rd party wheels and tyres.

If you're buying outright, definitely go nearly new.
£3k is horrid but probably about right. I get my tyres swapped over twice a year and it’s so much easier if the winters are on wheels.

I’d try and get them included in a deal or at least with a discount of some sort.

Is it worth trying to get a service package? I didn’t think there was much to do on the evs but I’m sure bmw would want to see the car regularly to charge for something against keeping the warranty valid.

Many thanks

A
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:13 AM   #12
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyhaggis View Post
...So Im guessing bmw are struggling to shift them by the sounds of it...
Would certainly seem to be the case. Same for the Audi e tron and Mercedes EQC. Dealers are either putting them on very attractive lease deals or putting a handful of miles on them to be able to sell at significantly reduced prices in order to move them on.

I looked at both iX1 and iX3. The iX1 is a great looking car and the 30 M Sport version was very spritely. The iX3 however feels like a massive step up in both quality and the feeling of space. iDrive 8 may look a bit cleaner and more modern, but I much prefer using iDrive 7.

Like ThreeXi, I had only driven AWD ICE cars for the last eight years and was a bit worried about potential traction issues in the iX3. Although I haven't yet driven in deep snow, the traction on icy/frosty/soaked/muddy roads has been incredible. The heavy batteries with much of the weight on or around the rear axle (compared to my previous front engined cars) clearly helps, as must very well sorted software for the traction control systems. Performance-wise, other than the first ten metres off the line, I felt that iX3 seemed quicker than the iX1 30 M Sport with its AWD. I also feel that other than off the line, the iX3 will accelerate as quick or even quicker in every situation compared with my previous M440i (though obviously not at triple digit speeds or perhaps when the iX3 battery is running low).

Voice control - I found this worked almost perfectly with my M440i and its iDrive 7 and continue to find it does so in the iX3 with its iDrive 7.

Laser lights - I specified them for my M440i. With the 4 series, the laser lights at least provides different and more attractive DRL's, compared to the standard LED's, but other than that, I thought they were a complete waste of money. I believe the DRL's on the iX3 would be the same with laser lights and so wouldn't recommend them for their performance.

Insurance - I actually received a small refund when switching from M440i to iX3 M Sport Pro, though clearly, many people are finding insurance to be bit of a struggle when switching to an EV.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 07:59 AM   #13
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat dog View Post
Would certainly seem to be the case. Same for the Audi e tron and Mercedes EQC. Dealers are either putting them on very attractive lease deals or putting a handful of miles on them to be able to sell at significantly reduced prices in order to move them on.

I looked at both iX1 and iX3. The iX1 is a great looking car and the 30 M Sport version was very spritely. The iX3 however feels like a massive step up in both quality and the feeling of space. iDrive 8 may look a bit cleaner and more modern, but I much prefer using iDrive 7.

Like ThreeXi, I had only driven AWD ICE cars for the last eight years and was a bit worried about potential traction issues in the iX3. Although I haven't yet driven in deep snow, the traction on icy/frosty/soaked/muddy roads has been incredible. The heavy batteries with much of the weight on or around the rear axle (compared to my previous front engined cars) clearly helps, as must very well sorted software for the traction control systems. Performance-wise, other than the first ten metres off the line, I felt that iX3 seemed quicker than the iX1 30 M Sport with its AWD. I also feel that other than off the line, the iX3 will accelerate as quick or even quicker in every situation compared with my previous M440i (though obviously not at triple digit speeds or perhaps when the iX3 battery is running low).

Voice control - I found this worked almost perfectly with my M440i and its iDrive 7 and continue to find it does so in the iX3 with its iDrive 7.

Laser lights - I specified them for my M440i. With the 4 series, the laser lights at least provides different and more attractive DRL's, compared to the standard LED's, but other than that, I thought they were a complete waste of money. I believe the DRL's on the iX3 would be the same with laser lights and so wouldn't recommend them for their performance.

Insurance - I actually received a small refund when switching from M440i to iX3 M Sport Pro, though clearly, many people are finding insurance to be bit of a struggle when switching to an EV.

Thanks for the insight. I like the idea of pokey and responsive without being so fast the wheels scrabble. Something my brother mentioned about the i series saloon - I think it was a 4 m something or other. So long as it gets me to 75 quickly and then has a bit of punch for the occasional over take to 85 on the motorway that would be enough.

Is the sport pro worth hanging out for? The other models look well speced as they are.

Any features to avoid such as certain wheels etc? I quite like cars just to do a good job with out too much tech interfering light lane control etc.

I’m leaning towards the ix3 over the ix1. I still need to drive an ix but I suspect it’s too big and the tech a bit frustrating for me.
Best

A
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:05 AM   #14
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

M sport Pro was a must for me. I had to have the 20" wheels as the 19's were ugly enough for me to not even buy the car. I also had to have the head up display and Harman Hardon hifi so it was never a difficult decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:51 AM   #15
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
M sport Pro was a must for me. I had to have the 20" wheels as the 19's were ugly enough for me to not even buy the car. I also had to have the head up display and Harman Hardon hifi so it was never a difficult decision.

I do like the idea of the heads up display.

My current 2016 x3 is in 18 inch wheels which at the time was big but now they look like bottle tops:-)

I guess with the new active suspension the ride is better even with the 20’s

I quite like the idea of the panoramic roof as well to make the cabin light and airy.

Are there any blinds or covers if it’s a bit sunny or does it have an opaque setting like the ix?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 12:06 PM   #16
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

The Pro is certainly worth serious consideration. In particular:
  • The 20" wheels just look right on the car. 19" wheels look far too small to me. In truth though, the ride on 20's is a touch disappointing to me despite having the adaptive suspension. Nothing I can't live with, just not as well balanced as on my previous cars.
  • Harman/Kardon was a must for me, though I do admit to not having heard the standard audio system in the iX3.
  • HUD is a great feature and works very well.
  • Additional cameras are very useful for helping with parking and manoeuvring.
  • Acoustic glazing - I actually find the wind noise a little disappointing despite having the acoustic glazing, so I do wonder if I would find things unacceptable for me on an M Sport without this fitted.
  • Comfort access - appreciate some have concerns over security of such systems, but I wouldn't be without this having had it on last four or five cars now.
  • The front end styling also looks a little better sorted with the black trim and the shadow line headlights.
  • Lumbar support - useful and can't believe this isn't standard on the M Sport for the price being asked.
Otherwise:
  • Gesture control - not bothered about this and actually find it a bit of a pain.
  • Iconic sounds - might amuse some but I have it switched off.
  • M stripe seatbelts - nothing really wrong with them, but I just don't feel they belong in a car like this.

The panoramic sunroof is great and floods the cabin with light during the day. Yes, there is a blind, which can be fully open, fully closed and infinitely anything in between and is operated electrically via the combined sunroof switch/button.

Last edited by fat dog; 01-07-2024 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 01:07 PM   #17
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

The question of EV over ICE models is less compelling today that it was few years ago. I have an IX3 but you compare the cost to the equivalent ICE model you can't really justify the premium anymore because unless you have home charging and local runs it okay but for long distances costs are the same almost if not more than petrol/diesal. In terms of IXI IX IX3, unless you live remote you don't need AWD. IX is big and whilst very good to drive looks are subjective which leaves the IX1 although it has option AWD its not as good as the IX3 When you spec the IXI it nearly is within the spitting distance of the IX3. So IX3 is the better of three.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2024, 04:40 AM   #18
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I was concerned about the rwd only element but I’m getting used to the idea. I normally have a set of winter tyres to swap with.
I came to the iX3 from a couple of Audi S3, so was very used to 4WD. The traction control on the iX3 is excellent - I have pressed hard a couple of times coming out of corners causing the back end to twitch but it has been caught every time by the traction control. I don't push it as hard as the S3 due to it being an SUV, and by its nature less stable. But in a straight line the 30-60 acceleration is as good as the S3.

Quote:
I was considering the ix but I can’t get over the tech for tech sake approach all the touch screen stuff I’d find annoying. Saying that I did get an auto on my last x3 and got used to it eventually:-)
The iX is huge! It is 8" longer and 3" wider than the iX3. I don't have kids, so don't need the extra space. But parking the iX would be a nightmare - it would hang out of most parking spaces. Having said that I have been a rear seat passenger in the iX3 a couple of times. I'm 6'3" tall, and had plenty of leg and head room. I would be happy doing a longer journey in the rear of the iX3.

Quote:
Loosing 20k in 6 months is nuts but I do think they were overpriced in the first place.
When I ordered mine almost 3 years ago, I priced it up against a similar X3. The iX3 came fully loaded with all the extras (I have the Premier Pro). When you added all the options onto an X3, the price was very similar to the iX3.

However, a £20k saving is a no brainer. From a dealer the car will come with a full warranty, which will cover any problems with the electronics in new cars. My audio system failed this morning (first problem in 2y 3m), and it will all be covered.

The only negative thing I have about the iX3 is the range. I get 220 miles in the summer and about 190 miles in the winter. There are now other cars out there with much better range. If I was choosing again now, I would probably lean towards one of them to avoid the need to charge on my most common long trip to see my parents. Apart from that it is a great car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 04:56 AM   #19
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Do yourself a favor, and try the seats in the Pro on an extended and long testdrive before deciding. That convinced me, to go for the "non-Pro" in the end. The seats in the "Pro" are harder, and I felt more like I sat on the chair rather than in it. The extra kit it comes with is nice to have, not need to have, but each to their own.

(I use "Pro" as that´s a UK term. It´s named differently on other markets. The price difference over here is +10K£ between the two versions, and that price wasn´t worth it for me. And then the seats...)
      01-08-2024, 09:25 AM   #20
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for your all your input.

Didnt know the seats where different. BMW like to mix things up dont they. I always used to go for top of the range as a default but I realise now its not always best - as you say each to their own.

IX - still need to try one but the only way Id get away with it would be to lie to my wife and tell her its the same size as the X3. I dont think Id get away with that:-) The only reason for me to consider the IX is the bigger range. Saying that I dont really go anywhere but local. Maybe a couple of times a year I take a trip in the car, maybe one of them would require charging on the way (other destinations already have chargers).

Its a minefield :-)

The X3 is the right size, Id prefer a longer range and 4wd but I like the way BWMs drive so wanted to stick with BMW. Only cars Ive had the are better to drive are Porsches but Im avoiding them due to ... well too many reasons to list, mainly due to the fact Porsche seem to be able to make a large car very small on the inside.

I wouldnt quite know where Id go if it wasnt an IX3 or at a push an IX. Maybe wait till 2025?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:19 AM   #21
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

I'm pretty sure the seats in the UK M Sport and M Sport Pro are identical.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:51 AM   #22
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
I'm pretty sure the seats in the UK M Sport and M Sport Pro are identical.
:-) thanks

Its hard enough when a manufacture has several trim levels that you need to evaluate, harder again when they have 3 cars that are almost the same (albeit fit and finish improves the more you pay). Factor in other manufacturers then my head hurts!

In an ideal world Id have an IX3 with 4wd and a 300 mile range (not being greedy)....

I think the Ix3 will be be more than fast enough, I dont subscribe to the 3-4 second to 60 EV's - too quick for me. I prefer balance and just enough power but not too much... a long time ago I had a old Porsche 996 - it was perfect for that, not silly fast just enough.

I need comfortable, tactile and easy to operate.... both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road and something I dont have to think about.

I have a sloped drive so thats a concern when its icy and snows. But Id have winter wheels and I always grit the drive anyway even when I have 4wd.

Im overthinking it...
Appreciate 0