BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #45
ztay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC

Garage List
2021 Mini GP 3 #940  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [10.00]
2023 X3 M Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooo View Post
I think it's related to the improper installation. I'll try my best at explaining this along with a few pictures. If you are under the car while car is on the lift, the end of the top rubber hat for the spring should be on the outer par of the wheel well. There's a triangle on the metal top hat (strut support bearing) is the technical name. The rubber too speing hat also has a triangle on it. Both of these should be lined up. For instance, If the rubber hat is flipped, the spring won't seat properly causing the clunking noise.
You should go back to the shop again. If you are willing to drive towards Millersville, MD, I can refer you to a shop who would be able to get you right. He got me right w my issues
Thanks! I think you might be on to something. I got a couple of pics just now without being on the lift. On the passenger side I see what might be the arrow on the rubber top hat you are referring to. They did not tape this side so maybe it's correct? On the other side I have the complete hack job of their taping which prevents me from getting a pic of the top hat. This is after driving home 20 miles from the shop and their tape is absolutely shredded.

This tells me that it isn't the sound of the spring compressing but the springs must be overlapping and I hear the popping back off which explains why I hear it coming out the bumps not into them.

I'm definitely down for a 45 min drive to your shop with somebody experienced sorting this. Do you think the top hat reversal could cause the overlapping?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #46
dooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztay View Post
Thanks! I think you might be on to something. I got a couple of pics just now without being on the lift. On the passenger side I see what might be the arrow on the rubber top hat you are referring to. They did not tape this side so maybe it's correct? On the other side I have the complete hack job of their taping which prevents me from getting a pic of the top hat. This is after driving home 20 miles from the shop and their tape is absolutely shredded.

This tells me that it isn't the sound of the spring compressing but the springs must be overlapping and I hear the popping back off which explains why I hear it coming out the bumps not into them.

I'm definitely down for a 45 min drive to your shop with somebody experienced sorting this. Do you think the top hat reversal could cause the overlapping?
It's hard to tell from your pictures. Could also he that the springs not seated properly on the rubber hat. So basically it's floating and this could also cause a loud clunking noise. See the picture attached. The top end of the spring should be seated in the (blue circle) in my picture.

You probably don't really hear anything on flat surface, but as soon as you drive over uneven or hard dips, you hear a loud clunk like the strut is gonna pop through.

If you are willing to drive, give Pure Automotive a call. Talk to Earnie. Say (Dewey) w the x3m sent you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 02:37 PM   #47
ztay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC

Garage List
2021 Mini GP 3 #940  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [10.00]
2023 X3 M Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooo View Post
It's hard to tell from your pictures. Could also he that the springs not seated properly on the rubber hat. So basically it's floating and this could also cause a loud clunking noise. See the picture attached. The top end of the spring should be seated in the (blue circle) in my picture.

You probably don't really hear anything on flat surface, but as soon as you drive over uneven or hard dips, you hear a loud clunk like the strut is gonna pop through.

If you are willing to drive, give Pure Automotive a call. Talk to Earnie. Say (Dewey) w the x3m sent you.
I will give them a call - thank you! the other thing that is telling in my pic is the MSS writing is on the taped up presumably installed incorrectly side but not visible on the other side. I assume they put that writing in the same place on each spring. If that top hat was reversed but the spring was still inserted in that notch you point out, that would flip the spring around I suspect.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 09:25 PM   #48
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

ztay I second to dooo , sounds like installation issue.
The spring should be chipped where it met to the top mount. Unless if it is positioned wrongly.
If it chip by the mid part, it is because the installer uses cheap spring compressor.

I myself experienced a few installation issue from other local known shop that brags a lot about their knowledge on MSS.
I recently have to fixed another installation from the same shop. This time they didn’t replace the front bump stops and set the adjuster at full drop.

I hope the other shop will be able to catch the mistake and fixed it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
ztay201.00
      04-08-2024, 05:55 AM   #49
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
I have an X3M with MSS and am very happy with the ride quality and performance. It still carves a canyon like stock with similar ride quality with the low we want. Specs are 5mm front, 20mm rear.
Nice stance and what mudflaps/splashguards did you install on yr car ?

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 06:45 AM   #50
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Looks like the ones for X3 M Sport that most people go with. I got these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Compa.../dp/B083K2Q8CL

I didn't use the hardware it came with, I don't see how you can get the clips in place for the upper holes, plus the screw would increase the size of the hole in the sheet metal and start rust. I used the factory screws that you remove for the lower holes, and bought a pack of replacement BMW expanding rivets to replace the ones you need to remove for the upper holes.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1785.00
      04-30-2024, 08:00 AM   #51
diirk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC BGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Sorry about that. These were the eBay ones.
15 Beetle Vert
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1785.00