BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #1
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i loaner review

My wife took her X3 in for an oil change, and received an X3 M40i as a loaner. I had a chance to drive it during lunch and enjoyed it. My daily is the "other" German manufacture, whose first name is Gottlieb.

Pros
- Acceleration. Very nice, drivable in both comfort and sport+.
- Exhaust. Great note with pops on throttle liftoff.
- Transmission. Outstanding crisp shifting, no surprise from ZF.
- Steering wheel. Nice and chunky.

Cons
- harmon kardon not well implemented. Mid-range and bass are muddy. This is compared to a Benz hk implementation in a GLE350, which is a top notch execution.
- Front extendable seat cushion. This is a BMW thing, and I don't like it in my wife's X3. The latch/release handle is always brushing against my leg.

Summary
- A compelling product that has me thinking. A check of cargurus shows that a year old model seems like a good buy.

Last edited by chassis; 02-23-2020 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2766.50
      02-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Cons
- harmon kardon not well implemented. Mid-range and bass are muddy. This is compared to a Benz implementation in a GLE350, which is a top notch execution.

bav sounds ghost subwoofers and speaker set fixes this, doesn't shake the windows but fixes this
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
My wife took her X3 in for an oil change, and received an X3 M40i as a loaner. I had a chance to drive it during lunch and enjoyed it. My daily is the "other" German manufacture, whose first name is Gottlieb.

Pros

Cons
- harmon kardon not well implemented. Mid-range and bass are muddy. This is compared to a Benz implementation in a GLE350, which is a top notch execution.
- Front extendable seat cushion. This is a BMW thing, and I don't like it in my wife's X3. The latch/release handle is always brushing against my leg.

Summary
- A compelling product that has me thinking. A check of cargurus shows that a year old model seems like a good buy.
My thoughts as well.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 1
chassis6633.00
      02-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
JCLBoston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:

Pros

Cons
- harmon kardon not well implemented. Mid-range and bass are muddy. This is compared to a Benz hk implementation in a GLE350, which is a top notch execution.

Summary
Did you get a chance to play with the EQ settings? Could make quite a difference, though not to say this system is world class.
      02-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLBoston View Post
Quote:

Pros

Cons

Summary
Did you get a chance to play with the EQ settings? Could make quite a difference, though not to say this system is world class.
My thoughts exactly.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
lippstuh
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Summary
What price are you seeing? The lowest I saw on cargurus was $52k for a 2019 X3 M40i for a 63-64k MSRP car. Contacted the dealer who wouldn't budget.

I'm picking up my 2020 new for $53k at the same 63k MSRP. Seems to me like a good deal
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

I’m thinking we did pretty good... grabbed a 2019 with 53km... price was $72,800.... picked it up for under 55 with nothing but sales tax to add...

It was cheaper than much of the similar spec’d used 2018s with 15000km or more...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
My wife took her X3 in for an oil change, and received an X3 M40i as a loaner. I had a chance to drive it during lunch and enjoyed it. ...

Cons
- harmon kardon not well implemented. Mid-range and bass are muddy. This is compared to a Benz hk implementation in a GLE350, which is a top notch execution. ...

Summary
As a loaner it is guaranteed to still have ASD intact, so judging HK sound with that present is difficult, at best. If you bypass it, or code it off, or pull the fuse and listen to FLAC files through the USB, then it might give you a better idea as to its capabilities. And as others mentioned, be sure to adjust the settings as well, as we all have different preferences (music genre included).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I didn't play with the EQ, but did pull it up on the iDrive.

Regarding ASD, I can't say I noticed engine noise piped into the cabin.

Regarding prices, I use cargurus as an estimate for market pricing.
Appreciate 0