BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

oil leak - driver side axe near front wheel

hey fellow X3ers.

I have a very small leak near the front driver side wheel coming down from the engine bay. The last time I performed oil change, there was a some amount of oil sitting on top of the undercarriage, not significant enough to cause a low oil warning. I have since replaced the valve cover gasket, it didn't seem to fix it and I have already done both oil filter housing gasket oil and cooler gasket at an indy shop. The only gasket left would like the oil pan gasket. I have attached some pics. I also had oil filter O ring install issue a while back causing a big oil mess in the engine bay so it makes the diagnosis much tougher, I have circled where the leak sit on the ground. Please share your thoughts. thanks,

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

That’s weird that there is oil leak on that side of the motor. The N55 motor tilts toward the passenger side and if valve cover is leaking, it will be on that side. Mostly are vacuum hoses and fuel pump hoses in that circled area. Are you sure its motor oil. Could be fuel, differential fluid, or coolant. Unless theres a major leak “under” the oil filter housing on the back side.
Oil filter housing have 2 gasket, the front that connects the 2 hoses and the bottom where it connects to the cylinder head.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
hey fellow X3ers.

I have a very small leak near the front driver side wheel coming down from the engine bay. The last time I performed oil change, there was a some amount of oil sitting on top of the undercarriage, not significant enough to cause a low oil warning. I have since replaced the valve cover gasket, it didn't seem to fix it and I have already done both oil filter housing gasket oil and cooler gasket at an indy shop. The only gasket left would like the oil pan gasket. I have attached some pics. I also had oil filter O ring install issue a while back causing a big oil mess in the engine bay so it makes the diagnosis much tougher, I have circled where the leak sit on the ground. Please share your thoughts. thanks,
If you place a white paper towel on the ground and let it drip onto it, what color is the fluid? It sorta looks like brake fluid in your pix
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
If you place a white paper towel on the ground and let it drip onto it, what color is the fluid? It sorta looks like brake fluid in your pix
I was able to identify coolant leak today because of much noticeable leak today. i wonder if coolant hose is cracked. I wiped off some light blue fluid so it suggests that it was coolant. I always thought it was oil because the stain doesn't go away and every time i wipe it, it already turned black and since it stained my interlock, I did not think it was other type of fluid. There was still a drop of leak that is center to the vehicle that I couldn't wipe, hopefully that isn't oil. Time to get a new coolant hose and go from there??

Last edited by Mingstar88; 01-31-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was able to identify coolant leak today because of much noticeable leak today. i wonder if coolant hose is cracked. I wiped off some light blue fluid so it suggests that it was coolant. I always thought it was oil because the stain doesn't go away and every time i wipe it, it already turned black and since it stained my interlock, I did not think it was other type of fluid. There was still a drop of leak that is center to the vehicle that I couldn't wipe, hopefully that isn't oil. Time to get a new coolant hose and go from there??

The color of that looks like Pentosin to me, you sure its coolant fluid?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The color of that looks like Pentosin to me, you sure its coolant fluid?
i think i found the leak. it's right under BMW COOLANT RESERVOIR. this does explain the location of the leak on the ground(1). still dont know where the leak coming from for orange circle spot(2).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i think i found the leak. it's right under BMW COOLANT RESERVOIR. this does explain the location of the leak on the ground(1). still dont know where the leak coming from for orange circle spot(2).
Leaks are sometimes difficult to locate because.. ..
1. Gravity pulls the origin to the lowest point of the car and that's where it then drops to the ground
2. When driving, all the blowing air from the fan and speed of the car blows the liquid in places far from the source.

I use mirrors and flashlights to look for leaks, then I wipe everything down as clean as possible and let the car sit. Come back in a couple hours and look for the leak again. Knowing what the fluid is, is a big help.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I believe the fluid level sensor plugs in from under the resistor. A few of the used vehicles I looked at were wet in the same place so it's not uncommon. Sorry, I don't know what needs to be done to resolve the leak, but it should be an easy fix now that you isolated the location.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Leaks are sometimes difficult to locate because.. ..
1. Gravity pulls the origin to the lowest point of the car and that's where it then drops to the ground
2. When driving, all the blowing air from the fan and speed of the car blows the liquid in places far from the source.

I use mirrors and flashlights to look for leaks, then I wipe everything down as clean as possible and let the car sit. Come back in a couple hours and look for the leak again. Knowing what the fluid is, is a big help.
thanks guys, i'll monitor the leak, i think it has gotten worst since there's a bigger spill today, hopefully, it's not cracked. I do have premix coolant in my garage that I will be keeping in my car. I should get it fixed sooner rather than later but I want to make sure I order the right parts and bring it to indy to do the repair, right now im thinking about getting the expansion tank + the coolant hose, the water pump was repaired a couple times already so I think replacing hose isnt a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:11 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks guys, i'll monitor the leak, i think it has gotten worst since there's a bigger spill today, hopefully, it's not cracked. I do have premix coolant in my garage that I will be keeping in my car. I should get it fixed sooner rather than later but I want to make sure I order the right parts and bring it to indy to do the repair, right now im thinking about getting the expansion tank + the coolant hose, the water pump was repaired a couple times already so I think replacing hose isnt a bad idea.
Are you 100% sure its coolant?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:27 PM   #11
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
it's the same colour as the antifreeze I premixed with distilled water. before mix it was a darker blue, it's lighter after mix, same as the paper towel colour that i wiped off of the ground today.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it's the same colour as the antifreeze I premixed with distilled water. before mix it was a darker blue, it's lighter after mix, same as the paper towel colour that i wiped off of the ground today.
I'll take your word for it but its definitely green on my LCD display :-) That's why I thought it was pentosin. You probably smelled it, right? and it smells like your coolant too, right?

If its leaking more and more every day, you should be able to get a paper towel and clean the bottom of the reservoir, hoses, connections, etc under the reservoir and then using a mirror and flashlight, stand there and watch the fluid start to come out. If so, you can order the parts and replace them yourself without going to an indy and save yourself some bucks to buy beer with :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #13
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll take your word for it but its definitely green on my LCD display :-) That's why I thought it was pentosin. You probably smelled it, right? and it smells like your coolant too, right?

If its leaking more and more every day, you should be able to get a paper towel and clean the bottom of the reservoir, hoses, connections, etc under the reservoir and then using a mirror and flashlight, stand there and watch the fluid start to come out. If so, you can order the parts and replace them yourself without going to an indy and save yourself some bucks to buy beer with :-)
thanks for the advice! i would love to DIY again, the problem is the cold up here. the last DIY was valve cover with 2 friends out in this weather, never again!!
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #14
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the advice! i would love to DIY again, the problem is the cold up here. the last DIY was valve cover with 2 friends out in this weather, never again!!
Oh, you in Toronto? Ugh!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Mingstar88,
You saw this post, right?

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563296
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #16
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mingstar88,
You saw this post, right?

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563296
yea i did, nicer weather today, so I replaced it.
had to remove 3x10 mm. 2 for the harness, only 1 for the actual tank.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #17
the_saintusa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3

Did you identify what was wrong with the reservoir?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #18
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saintusa View Post
Did you identify what was wrong with the reservoir?
see pic above, there's shows some corrosion where the coolant sensor connects to the tank. the plastic was definitely compromised.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #19
the_saintusa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3

Quote:
see pic above, there's shows some corrosion where the coolant sensor connects to the tank. the plastic was definitely compromised.
Thanks.

Was trying to see if there was a visible crack on the right side.

Couldn't tell.

Hope that it is sorted
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #20
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Oh, you in Toronto? Ugh!
Toronto... that’s almost Mediterranean...
Appreciate 0