BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #45
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

When dictating a text, say the word "period" and it places a period into the sentence. Then, it looks like you are typing full sentences, rather than run-on sentences.

Paul
Appreciate 4
pej744593.00
focker155.00
JoshV14.50
      11-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #46
pej7445
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Garage List
2019 x3 m40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersjoey View Post
When dictating a text, say the word "period" and it places a period into the sentence. Then, it looks like you are typing full sentences, rather than run-on sentences.

Paul
Are you able to do this while driving? What command do you use to begin dictation?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #47
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep

Push the button. Say "Send text Paul Glasspoole".

(Obviously insert the name...don't send me a text!)

If there are multiple numbers for that person say the number. If it is the second in the list, say "2".

It will ask you to record.

Record your message. Then, stop talking.

It will give you to options. Send Text or Add text.

"send text" will send the text.
"Add text" will get you back to the record and it will append to the end of the previous message.

If, at some point you don't like a word or the whole statement, use the idrive knob to move through the sentence, then, you can add, delete, append, etc. But, I have found it too tricky, so I just start over.

But, the key is:
"send text Paul Glasspoole"
"2"
Dictate
"Send Text"

I love it when driving across country and need to tell people where I am.

Paul
Appreciate 4
pej744593.00
Lerxst M4142.00
shoptb176.00
SROC31702.00
      11-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #48
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
They are extremely useful, also if you touch them without pressing the assigned function will appear at the top of the centre screen, only complaint is why only 7?, my old E70 had 8 presets
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. They replaced #8 with the "Connected Drive" (globe) button. My guess is that they wanted to promote the Connected Drive apps/services.
Could be the reason, I thought at first it may have been going to a lower model from the X5 but then noticed G30 and G11 get the same 7 presets as well

I used to have one preset for day/night mode for sat nav as the E70 didn't have a auto switching mode, so at least I don't need that one anymore
Appreciate 1
shoptb176.00
      11-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #49
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Never come across this before on previous cars but when I first washed the X3 I thought wipers wouldn't fold out, consulted manual and if you hold wiper stalk down with car off for a few seconds wiper will do a sweep and stop at the top so you can fold them out to clean windscreen
I think this has been a BMW thing for a while.. at least my 2013s and my current 2016s both do this particular thing, but its certainly not intuitive.
Probably for aerodynamics but yes the first time it does seem a puzzle, funny enough someone posted on the forum earlier asking how to lift them
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #50
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Has anybody found a way of dimming the control screen in daylight? Specifically the Map view?
I’ve found the adjustment for the brightness at night, but I think the map is too bright during the day
Thanks
      11-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #51
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
How is 4 different to pressing the button under the hazard lights switch?
Your reply made me think about this.... Today I had a play with the button on the dash (under the hazard lights switch) and going to the same safety features via the menu on the idrive. Going via the menu brings up a more extensive menu and I’ve now discovered, is a bit of a faff for a quick tweak. Pressing the dashboard mounted button is much quicker but it only brings up limited options, unless you want to configure individually.

To take all features ‘off’, press and hold the button for three seconds but it still didn’t deactivate the proximity warnings for parking. It seems that these cannot be turned off. Whilst reversing today, I deliberately drove at the shrubs and the car did an emergency stop. I did the same with ‘All Off’ and it did the same! The only way to avoid the sudden dead stop is to manoeuvre very slowly. It beeps like a mental thing but doesn’t jam the brakes on.
Appreciate 1
strike4A513.00
      11-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #52
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Automatic seat and steering heating will only work when the temperature drops below your set point when you start your car. So it won't turn on for me in the morning after keeping the car in my 'warm' garage overnight, even though the temp quickly drops below the set point within a minute of moving the car out of the garage. It works great though coming home from work after leaving the car parked outdoor for the day. Observed this 3 days in a row this week.

Hope there is a way to activate it automatically even if the car is running...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #53
Wanna3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Automatic seat and steering heating will only work when the temperature drops below your set point when you start your car. So it won't turn on for me in the morning after keeping the car in my 'warm' garage overnight, even though the temp quickly drops below the set point within a minute of moving the car out of the garage. It works great though coming home from work after leaving the car parked outdoor for the day. Observed this 3 days in a row this week.

Unless your garage is really warm (in which case why would you want/need the heat right away) why not raise the temperature setting to a point where the heated seats and steering wheel will turn on at start up?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #54
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:

If there are multiple numbers for that person say the number. If it is the second in the list, say "2".

"Add text" will get you back to the record and it will append to the end of the previous message.

If, at some point you don't like a word or the whole statement, use the idrive knob to move through the sentence, then, you can add, delete, append, etc. But, I have found it too tricky, so I just start over.

But, the key is:
"2"
Dictate
"Send Text"

Paul
Sorry if this is a stupid question... Is this a feature that comes with CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #55
Captain_H
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (Waiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
Quote:

But, the key is:
"2"
Dictate
"Send Text"

Paul
Sorry if this is a stupid question... Is this a feature that comes with CarPlay?
No, this has been part of BMW for a while. (Apple CarPlay can do that too but you don't need it to use this BMW feature)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #56
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
On previous models you can turn on fogs light if you move light switch to side lights (blinkers/hazard lights).

On G01 i couldnt turn on fog lights unless headlights were on.
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      11-28-2018, 09:15 PM   #57
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:

But, the key is:
"2"
Dictate
"Send Text"

Paul
This is good stuff. Thanks for putting this together, because it was never well explained before. I use CarPlay mainly for this feature, but I dislike how it interrupts the screen with every reply. I'm definitely going to try it "the BMW way" and see how it works.

Also, I use a lot of the punctuation in my dictation with CarPlay. I use "dot dot dot, period, comma, exclamation mark, etc" so that people think I'm typing. Unfortunately, then people think I'm not in the car, and I get paragraphs to which I need to respond. Maybe I should just respond with some bad punctuation and go from there.
      11-29-2018, 12:22 AM   #58
RegieX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30i, Tesla M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna3 View Post
Unless your garage is really warm (in which case why would you want/need the heat right away) why not raise the temperature setting to a point where the heated seats and steering wheel will turn on at start up?
then, when he gets off work and gets in his car at 32ºF, the steering wheel and butt warmers won't come on automatically.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:16 AM   #59
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
  • To shift instantly to the lowest possible gear, press and hold the left shift paddle.
  • To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press and hold the right shift paddle.
  • To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press the right shift paddle and then quickly press the left paddle; release both paddles.
OMG THAT'S SO SUPER COOL!!! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:07 AM   #60
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yesterday, Thermometer in car said garage was at 48F. Real temp outside was around 23F. automatic heated seat set point was at 35F.

No one in my family needs the heated seat to turn on if the real ambient temp is at 48F. However, once the car got out the temp inside the car got cold real quick, considering the AC took a while to work (waiting for the engine to heat up, since I never idle the car inside my garage even with the garage door open). The heated seat came on faster and is my way of keeping my kids warm in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:14 AM   #61
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

I think the auto heated seats setting would be a lot more useful if it switched on when the car was unlocked and not when the seat belt is closed!!
Or better still, from the app!!
      11-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #62
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep

Maybe this part was unknown by some as well.

There is a setting in idrive that allows/approves that you can talk over the Voice.

In other words, as "she" is talking back to you giving options, you can talk and get "her" to do the next step without waiting for her to shut up.

In stark contrast to a Ford Explorer I rented a month ago, that thing had the absolutely LOoooooooooongest winded "she". Honestly, it was ten seconds of talking once it could not figure out what you wanted. It gave you several ideas on what you should do next. But, it would not accept if you talk when it was talking.

I am very impressed with the vocab of this "her".

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
This is good stuff. Thanks for putting this together, because it was never well explained before. I use CarPlay mainly for this feature, but I dislike how it interrupts the screen with every reply. I'm definitely going to try it "the BMW way" and see how it works.

Also, I use a lot of the punctuation in my dictation with CarPlay. I use "dot dot dot, period, comma, exclamation mark, etc" so that people think I'm typing. Unfortunately, then people think I'm not in the car, and I get paragraphs to which I need to respond. Maybe I should just respond with some bad punctuation and go from there.
Appreciate 2
kevinkay271.50
shoptb176.00
      11-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #63
Wanna3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegieX View Post
Quote:
then, when he gets off work and gets in his car at 32ºF, the steering wheel and butt warmers won't come on automatically.
That's not right. The heated seats and steering wheel turn on whenever the temp drops below the set temperature, so if it is set at 45 degrees they WILL turn on if the outside temp is 32.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #64
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:

I have mine set to 45 degrees. It's never this low in my garage but as soon as I drive away into the cold the heated seat and wheel turn on. It's not really much different than if it had turned on automatically in the garage.

I'd like to set it to 50, because it's nice to get a little warmth on those chilly mornings, but more often than not if the sun is shining it quickly becomes too much. Of course even at 50 it wouldn't come on in my garage, only when I exit into the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #65
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:

I have mine set to 45 degrees. It's never this low in my garage but as soon as I drive away into the cold the heated seat and wheel turn on. It's not really much different than if it had turned on automatically in the garage.

I'd like to set it to 50, because it's nice to get a little warmth on those chilly mornings, but more often than not if the sun is shining it quickly becomes too much.
Thanks! Mine does not turn on after I drive off the garage even if the temp drops below the set point less than one min after I leave my garage.

See my new post above earlier today.

BTW - This is an observation about new thing that I discovered on my X3 and I did not intend to hijack this thread...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #66
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

The driving mode buttons (eco, comfort, sport, and adaptive if you have it) are not separate buttons. It's one big touch pad and the whole thing moves/clicks. You can easily confuse it by putting multiple fingers down and then clicking, or put a finger slightly off target and clicking.

I am convinced this is why many people have problems with these "buttons" (I too see misfires from time to time, when I think I am selecting one mode and a different one comes up). It's not a very sophisticated touch surface and it's easy to get it to misbehave. Good example of BMW over-complicating something and not working as well as the simpler tech it replaced.
Appreciate 1